Passion for angling....

Molehill

Reaction score
I only watched one bit of a Mortimer and Whitehouse programe and that was more than enought, like you I just don't like 'em, at all.

Medical records are pretty sacrosanct, yet for every episode for every series we had the A-Z of their health problems. Hey guys, we are all getting on, we all have problems, so lighten up and let's go fishing as your d***y heart is not THAT interesting that I want to buy a TV licence to hear about it.
And don't start me on that cackhanded idiot Mortimer........

Edit: Forum didn't like the d**k!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think once I realized it was not an angling program, more about them with some angling thrown in I quite enjoyed it but you had to like their humor to do so. I found quite a few non anglers enjoyed it, mainly women, maybe all that heartache bought the mother out in them but it was very popular.
I wouldn't mind a program on the history of fishing, that would send plenty to fall asleep probably but I would find it interesting. Imagine someone demonstrating all the styles and how they evolved, maybe not but I could help out with the props:) Another might make good viewing is a historic look at all the big fish that came from one river or all of them. Could be some good fishy tales in there somewhere.

rob48

Reaction score
Every time I watch that Autumn edition of PFA I end up booking a riverside cottage somewhere.

terry m

Reaction score
It’s funny how our tastes differ. I loved the Mortimer and Whitehouse series, but more for the rapport and comedy rather than the angling content, which was very basic. I find Bob Mortimer v amusing.

mikench

Reaction score
I too loved the Whitehouse and Mortimer series. It had humour, anecdotes, picturesque countryside and a bit of fishing thrown in. What more do you want? Bob Mortimer is witty and very down to earth and like me a fairly useless angler. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it; we have a lot in common.

mikench

Reaction score
Lord Paul liked it too

Who does he remind me off; incoherent, posh, unruly hair - no it just won't come to me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And btw I seem to remember a Martin Bowler series that was very enjoyable.

Yes, not sure which ones you mean though, as he was in the series catching the impossible and I think he has some dvd's of his own.
I would like to see those also.

seth49

Reaction score
I have two sets of Martin bowlers dvds, catching the impossible, and chasing shadows both worth watching.

steve2

Reaction score
That where we are all different I thought Mortimer and Whitehouse was better than a Passion for Angling.
I can't think of anything more boring than someone trying to make match fishing look interesting ie Fish o Mania.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That where we are all different I thought Mortimer and Whitehouse was better than a Passion for Angling.
I can't think of anything more boring than someone trying to make match fishing look interesting ie Fish o Mania.

Have you got mixed up Steve?
Passion for angling was nothing to do with match angling, infact it was quite the opposite.

Regarding comics making fishing programmes, I would love to have seen Bernard Manning, Les Dawson and Ronnie Barker make a fishing vid lol.

rayner

Reaction score
I would have little idea of what would work with a limited amount of technique both fishing and chatting to strangers, I suppose anyone thinking of making a fishing programme should at least be capable with equipment and be a little outgoing. Macey certainly has the outgoing bit covered also a degree of angling ability but what a god awful bore with his loud demeanour and his pasted-on smile to boot.
I'd be totally useless in making a short clip, never mind a series. Just as well I have no ambition to do so, that negates any need for me to try.
I'm quite happy to look to others more capable to do the technical bit.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Have you got mixed up Steve?
Passion for angling was nothing to do with match angling, infact it was quite the opposite.

Regarding comics making fishing programmes, I would love to have seen Bernard Manning, Les Dawson and Ronnie Barker make a fishing vid lol.
Or Tommy Cooper, he would be going "just like that" every time he caught a fish and everyone would fall about, he would win any match, imagine trying to fish against that!

steve2

Reaction score
No not mixed up I just meant there is nothing more boring than watching match fishing on the tele and some one trying to make it sound exciting.

Come to that trying to make any fishing sound exciting to a mass audience.

Reaction score
I liked Whitehouse and Mortimer,Whitehouse is a good angler,but they bounce off each other well,as for Macey,if carp fishing is about yawping around with Ali Hamidi(whom I quite like when he isn't with the other muppets)i'm bloody glad I don't fish in a bivvy behind three rods,it would be better watching them on a night out in the boozer...