Paste !

Paste paul

Reaction score
Ok a little while ago someone was asking about paste fishing so I thought I’d post a little tutorial or guide to how I use paste.
There are a few different ways to use paste and different target species so today I’ll deal with straight forward carp fishing on the pole.

first tackle........ any carp or margin pole will do especially as we have no intention of fishing a long way out.
I use either a solid 14 elastic or a 14 to 16 hollow (srg).
Line is .20 With the hook tied directly size 12.
AD8FC010-3A56-43E1-A893-FDBF15F03C5A.jpeg

Notice it’s an eyed hook and I leave a long tag this helps hold the past on the hook longer, this is a drennan hair rig hook but kamasan b911 are my favourite.
I also whip it on like a spade end hook pushing the line out through the front of the hook.
Next is the float
4C96C9C4-2E3D-44F4-AD2E-108C648F075C.jpeg

Notice the base I’ve wrapped solder wire around the base and glued it in place then given it a coat of black paint I then use ordinary float rubber to fix it to the line.
The float is now self cocking to the base of the tip this stops shot pulling the hook out of the paste on its way down to the bottom. I’ve also put a float rubber at the base of the tip for strength the actual float was a cheap 99p job but had a long bristle for paste fishing.
0D2DDEA5-332B-455E-BFC3-15DCBBEC45AD.jpeg

Notice the tip I’ve burned a hole in it with an hot needle so the line passes through, this is important as it makes the rig tangle proof.
2C5D4C8B-82BA-47B0-AD8E-B8587E18D413.jpeg

If you can’t burn the hole because it’s a solid tip put some float silicone over instead as shown. This float is a margin float I don’t make these self cocking As it’s normally shallow water. I use the weight of the paste to cock the float.
A776562C-D08E-41EB-966F-597CB8888D3F.jpeg

The paste Pot is important it needs to fit at the end of the pole. I make my own out of aerosol lids so I have a variety of sizes. I simply use my power drill and make two holes the right size to fit the pole.
D674DD25-C6CD-4790-ACAE-5F3FC1FBEBE3.jpeg

You will need to drill some small holes in the bottom as the paste and pellets stick in sometimes it causes a vacuum.
0B9338FA-41CA-4C6A-BED3-8D4D0CE6AF0F.jpeg

The paste I use is swim stim preferably or sonubaits 1 to 1 and 4mm pellets 6mm if big carp are expected. The one to one is good if you’re not sure how stiff to mix it as it’s about right when mixed 1 part water to 1 part powder. The swimstim takes a Little more practice. Always add powder to the water when mixing paste the opposite to how you mix ground bait and don’t mix it stiff it wants to be almost a liquid it will stiffen up after about 15 minutes.
I usually paste fish in the margin or at the bottom of the near side shelf. The critical thing is to plumb up dead depth and try to find a flattish bottom.
ED2C7793-9600-43F3-9774-D34F4362ECFA.jpeg

Pellets are put in the pot and the paste goes on top with your hook buried inside. The paste in the picture is usable but I’d normally have it much softer.
You then ship out to the desired spot and tip the contents of the pot in. It will all land directly under your pole tip where you have plumbed up. If you’ve set up as described you will get no tangles.
have all of the tip or the float showing and just lift into the bites when it Burris under don’t respond to dips and taps.
8C6C102B-341E-4E8D-A3E4-8225D72B3A11.jpeg

A Korum blob is good for shallow water about a 1ft to 18 inch deep and is set up exactly the same way....... I put a tiny no 10 shot under mine mainly as a depth marker if the blob moves I just slide it back to the shot.
F30A9E17-1358-44C5-8EFB-0BBAE26A4C23.jpeg

Have a bait box with water in it handy and dip your fingers in it before handling the paste it won’t stick to your fingers. I also dip the paste in the water after I’ve put it on the hook to make it look even sloppier !
There’s no need to feed anything more than what you put in your pole pot your basically trying to feed for one fish at a time rather than getting too many fish in the swim.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Not how I fish paste but very interesting. A good explanation of ho you fish paste, I like the accompanying photographs
We all have our different ways, all work very well.
For the fishing of paste, I have different paste, floats, hooks and feed. Paste fishing is far more simple than some anglers believe, I mean if I can use it effectively anyone can.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Not how I fish paste but very interesting. A good explanation of ho you fish paste, I like the accompanying photographs
We all have our different ways, all work very well.
For the fishing of paste, I have different paste, floats, hooks and feed. Paste fishing is far more simple than some anglers believe, I mean if I can use it effectively anyone can.
I would love to hear how you fish pate ?
Always willing to learn ?

Reaction score
On reading the title and its poster I felt a childish temptation to start a thread called 'Paul',sad eh,I don't like pole fishing paste,or pate,preferring small wagglers on the rod,if I was fishing for half tidy carp on it I would fish an 8/10 hook,only fishing smaller if fishing for crucians or F1's(I don't fish commercials these days,but have a lot in the past),or if hook size limits apply...

rayner

Reaction score
Nothing technical,
I use Bait tech special green.
I only fish in shallow water 3' maximum 1' minimum that allows me to use the wetter paste more effectively.
I only fish .2 gram floats with No10 shot on the line letting the paste semi cock the float, the float can be anything between laid flat on the surface to a light tilt, the shot is just a marker to keep the float in place if the float moves I can simply slide it back.
I never feed anything apart from hemp to kick the swim off first then just rely on the paste on the hook to feed the swim. I think feeding pellets especially attracts too many fish in the swim making for liners and foul hooking.
I use a similar cup to the one you use with not too big a lump of paste, I don't want the fish to do anything other than eat the bait.
Fishing too stiff a paste allows the fish to eject the hook bait too easily so the sloppier the better for me. I do similar to you with dipping the paste in water after the hook is baited.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Nothing technical,
I use Bait tech special green.
I only fish in shallow water 3' maximum 1' minimum that allows me to use the wetter paste more effectively.
I only fish .2 gram floats with No10 shot on the line letting the paste semi cock the float, the float can be anything between laid flat on the surface to a light tilt, the shot is just a marker to keep the float in place if the float moves I can simply slide it back.
I never feed anything apart from hemp to kick the swim off first then just rely on the paste on the hook to feed the swim. I think feeding pellets especially attracts too many fish in the swim making for liners and foul hooking.
I use a similar cup to the one you use with not too big a lump of paste, I don't want the fish to do anything other than eat the bait.
Fishing too stiff a paste allows the fish to eject the hook bait too easily so the sloppier the better for me. I do similar to you with dipping the paste in water after the hook is baited.
What’s the thoughts on using hemp ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Paste Paul, I don't pole fish , I do have one that I use for chub fishing so I can ship my rig and free offerings underneath overhanging bushes and the like, that said I enjoyed reading your illustrated post, good stuff ??

Paste paul

Reaction score
Paste Paul, I don't pole fish , I do have one that I use for chub fishing so I can ship my rig and free offerings underneath overhanging bushes and the like, that said I enjoyed reading your illustrated post, good stuff ??
Awesome so glad you enjoyed it ........ it’s meant to be lighthearted fun hopefully with something that people can take away and think about.
it hopefully gives people a different angle on things too !

Reaction score
I found groats worked well whilst using paste...along with pellet obviously...

Reaction score
I soak em mate,cheap as chips and much quicker to prepare,if you want two pints,put a pint dry in to soak with lots of water,i found that when I got up in the morning I put them in to soak,by the time I'd arrived at the fishery,walked to the peg and set up,they were ready,in spite of what they suggest,soaking and boiling,I found that they didn't expand any more and had softened virtually the same amount....

rayner

Reaction score
I see ....... so you just feed it or do you move some in with your paste?
Hemp is only used with my initial feed, I just rely on the hook bait to feed the swim, even when fish take the sloppy paste tiny bits break off, the smell of the paste is still there to my mind.
I don't mix anything with paste, over the years I've mixed all manner of things together like blitzed hemp, corn, bran, tinned tuna and salmon.
Now just special G groundbait, I used to use swim-stim, I fell out with swim-stim because it seems that they changed it for some it was more of a coarse crumb that affected how I used it. I turned to special G because it is a fine crumb. For the paste, I think it's the best thing ever, I like the fast breakdown that I get, much quicker than the now slower breakdown that swim-stim gives.
In short, I believe a quick breakdown paste works far more effectively than a slow breakdown. It may all be tripe but it's what gives me confidence.
Up to now, I think the fish agree.
Not the short synopsis I expected :ROFLMAO:

Keith M

Reaction score
I sometimes use a medium to soft fish meal or monster crab paste wrapped around my hookbaits when I’m after Barbel; especially when the temperatures start to cool in the autumn onwards and I start to reduce my normal feed a bit . It leaves a nice attractive downstream scent trail leading right up to my hookbait as it starts to dissolve.

I also occasionally use a cheese and bread paste together with the juice from a raw onion when I’m after big Chub in the late autumn onwards which they seem to love; especially after it’s been in and out of the freezer a few times and starts to feel cold to the touch even on a warm day.

Keith

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I sometimes use a medium to soft fish meal or monster crab paste wrapped around my hookbaits when I’m after Barbel; especially when the temperatures start to cool in the autumn onwards and I start to reduce my normal feed a bit . It leaves a nice attractive downstream scent trail leading right up to my hookbait as it starts to dissolve.

I also occasionally use a cheese and bread paste together with the juice from a raw onion when I’m after big Chub in the late autumn onwards which they seem to love; especially after it’s been in and out of the freezer a few times and starts to feel cold to the touch even on a warm day.

Keith
I do like to use micro pellets sometimes........ I’ll just soak them in water until they are a mush...... normally I need to add water as it goes pretty stiff .... the oiler pellets take longer to break down which helps keep it on the hook longer.
My thinking is if I feed pellets I’ve got the same smell on the hook!
I sometimes soak my feed pellets until they are soft the idea being they will break down quicker in the water and resemble the paste....
It all sounds feasible anyway ?

rayner

Reaction score
Don't you find you get too many fish in the swim with the extra feed?
I find softened micros waft all over the swim, they are very light when wet.
If I do feed anything else, I have done on occasion I feed hemp sparingly a yard or so further down the swim never over my paste swim.

Paste paul

Reaction score
If I do feed anything else, I have done on occasion I feed hemp sparingly a yard or so further down the swim never over my paste swim.
I don’t use micros for feed just 4 or 6mm I use micros to make the paste......

Paste paul

Reaction score
As for too many fish in the swim it really does depend on the venue size of fish you’re targeting and time of year.......
So a big fish venue usually needs feed going in as the can suck up a pot full of bait in one hit.....
I often cut back on feed or feed more depending on how it’s going ....... if I’m getting loads of liners and foul hooked fish then yes stop feeding and use paste just as you do this often works but if I’m waiting for bites for 5 to 10 minutes then I try using a good pot full.....
In shallow water it can get tricky and maybe feeding can work against you......
In deeper water fishing paste the way I do can get them feeding on the bottom rather than up in the water........
To be honest paste days never seem to be the same......
Sometimes I’ll pot a big pot of pellets in and leave it for a couple of hours before I go over it this sometimes gives you instant action......
As you say it’s a confidence thing and what works for you......
I do like the hemp idea I have had some brilliant days feeding hemp and corn with corn on the hook and yes it seems to keep the carp on the deck....
One match I fished I had 70lb of fish in the last hour and half to finish 3rd I hadn’t had a fish all day and that was hemp and corn in the margins.....