Paste !

rayner

Reaction score
I don’t use micros for feed just 4 or 6mm I use micros to make the paste......
Ha, I understand.
Like I said in my first post we all fish differently.
I'm not going to disagree with you regarding feed in deeper waters. I only fish paste shallow and have no idea of how to use paste deep.
It's true days never fish the same, I can slaughter them one day with paste then another seemingly similar day struggle with finicky indications.
There's no way paste is a wonder bait that never fails. When it's good I could think I know what I doing, in truth I haven't really got a clue.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Ha, I understand.
Like I said in my first post we all fish differently.
I'm not going to disagree with you regarding feed in deeper waters. I only fish paste shallow and have no idea of how to use paste deep.
It's true days never fish the same, I can slaughter them one day with paste then another seemingly similar day struggle with finicky indications.
There's no way paste is a wonder bait that never fails. When it's good I could think I know what I doing, in truth I haven't really got a clue.
I agree some days it’s awesome can’t fail sort of bait others it just doesn’t work......
I have found it can be good on hardish days ......
I’ll fish a different spot when I catch a fish I’ll move to another spot catch another then move again.
not just pays to experiment I guess......
And I don’t believe you haven’t got a clue for one minute!!!!!

rayner

Reaction score
OK, I can catch a few fish every now and then, when it comes to competing with other anglers I haven't a chance. I know my limitations.
Generally, I fish for silvers with the easiest methods, up in the water as always been better for me with silver fishes. Even more so now.
I do enjoy feeder fishing for bream but paste fishing is my favourite so long as fish aren't too big, I can use paste right through to the end of autumn for skimmers and carp. If I don't fish for roach that is.

mikench

Reaction score
I don’t use a pole and have never caught a fish using paste but I enjoyed reading your post . It was well written and informative. I suspect sloppy paste lends itself to the pole but would come off in the cast.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I don’t use a pole and have never caught a fish using paste but I enjoyed reading your post . It was well written and informative. I suspect sloppy paste lends itself to the pole but would come off in the cast.
You can buy some fibre paste from sonus baits which will cast on rod and line .....
if you fancied giving it a go!

Reaction score
Mike,on commercials I used to be forever wetting my paste down,because the paste works better when it breaks down quickly in that setting,however that doesn't always apply(small roach,rudd etc),the paste took a while to get right and you might have to make three batches up for a good/long day,imho sinking trout pellets make the best paste, used to grind them up,but if you soak the pellet for say an hour plus after filling with water so as to cover the pellet,after the allotted time all the water will be drawn in and you knead the paste to consistency,have a bait box full of water handy,firstly to wet your paste and re-knead(which needs to be done regularly,especially in warm weather) and secondly to keep your hands clean. This may seem a lot of trouble Mike but you really should try it,it is a very,very productive method...

rayner

Reaction score
If using pellets for paste especially high oil pellets I used to put boiling water on the pellets to speed up the process.
Incidentally, Rob Hitchen, he was who I first saw using a paste made his paste from trout pellets, at the time he was the paste master. Now anyone can get good results. Folk used to think paste was a mystery, me included.

Keith M

Reaction score
We were using paste made from trout pellets back in the late 70s and very early 80s and we prepared them in exactly the same way too.

We used to use the paste that we made from trout pellets on the Welwyn Garden City lake next door to the A1 in Hertfordshire for the carp, and for the tench on other waters in the area, however there was an article about using trout pellets for carp which I think was either in the Coarse Fisherman magazine or the Anglers Mail which stated that it didn't do the carp any good because of what goes into the trout pellets was far too rich for a carps digestion and could do more harm than good; so we stopped using it.

I think it was about a year or so before boilees and ingredients for making your own boilees started getting popular in the tackle shops.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
There was in the early days with paste made from trout pellets a lot of mixing paste with an egg, I must admit I was one of the anglers who used the very same method.
In the early days with paste I would sit for hours wacking trout pellets with a lump hammer to crush the pellets. A crazy thought now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You can buy some fibre paste from sonus baits which will cast on rod and line .....
if you fancied giving it a go!
Paul, is that any good, a friend of mine used to keep his in the fridge, said it stayed on the hook better when waggler fishing.
I have just found a bag of Ringers paste powder, it's open the bag,pour powder into tub, fill bag with water and add water to powder and mix, I will give it a try on Newlands,
I am sure Browning did something similar,
I have used Swim Stim with some success, my go to paste float is one that was made by PI a few years ago, has an eye oat the top of the tip and is self cocking.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Paul, is that any good, a friend of mine used to keep his in the fridge, said it stayed on the hook better when waggler fishing.
I have just found a bag of Ringers paste powder, it's open the bag,pour powder into tub, fill bag with water and add water to powder and mix, I will give it a try on Newlands,
I am sure Browning did something similar,
I have used Swim Stim with some success, my go to paste float is one that was made by PI a few years ago, has an eye oat the top of the tip and is self cocking.
Yes I’ve used the fibre paste and it’s designed to be used on the waggler or bomb...... it’s very sticky and fluffy not just a solid lump of dough.
Andy Findlay uses it in his dvd on the floating feeder and he uses it to good effect.
The pi floats are good mark and work really well I just like messing with gear to give it a personal touch...
The green swim stim is a brilliant paste bait I’ve had some good bags of fish using it...... basically any smooth ground bait will work or soaked
Pellets...... I used to get my old pellets and grind them up in an old blender so they were like powder then just add water on the bank..... it’s surprising how much water it takes.....
My blender died unfortunately so I just buy ground bait or soak pellets now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Yes I’ve used the fibre paste and it’s designed to be used on the waggler or bomb...... it’s very sticky and fluffy not just a solid lump of dough.
Andy Findlay uses it in his dvd on the floating feeder and he uses it to good effect.
The pi floats are good mark and work really well I just like messing with gear to give it a personal touch...
The green swim stim is a brilliant paste bait I’ve had some good bags of fish using it...... basically any smooth ground bait will work or soaked
Pellets...... I used to get my old pellets and grind them up in an old blender so they were like powder then just add water on the bank..... it’s surprising how much water it takes.....
My blender died unfortunately so I just buy ground bait or soak pellets now.
A tackle shop I use when I go to Warrington sells milled pellets, they are very fine, ideal for cloudy groundbait on venues where groundbait is not allowed ,

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I love fishing paste and on many commercials it is the best method for catching on silt.

I fish the bottom of the near shelf, typically 3-6 metres from the bank. My method is to feed heavily but irregularly, a lot of bait each hour. My feed is pellets, over wet micros with hard 4,6 and 8mm pellets. Micros in the earlier feeds but just hard pellets in the later ones. I’m of the opinion that bait falling through the water is the last thing you need when fishing paste. About 5 pints of feed for a five hour session In just 5 feeds. Although paste falling from the hook also feeds a bit.

As sloppy a paste as you can fish in the depth is about right, I too use green swim swim but any fine fish meal groundbait is good, I’ll try special G if I can find some.

One trick I picked up is to use vegetable oil rather than water to soften your paste after the initial mix, I find this gives slightly more scope for fine tuning than water.

Strong gear is essential, paste hooks the big carp that know how to avoid other baits.

There’s no right and wrong way but it is a fantastic method that can be brilliant on its day. It does however require a little time to develop a good technique than many other baits.

Lastly, I would never fish it on rod and line because a paste stiff enough to withstand a cast defeats the advantage that paste brings so a normal bait would do. Unless you don’t have a pole, then try fishing it under your rod tip, but casting is a no-no in my eyes.