Pastes

B

Birds Nest

I'm getting my head around pastes (I know I'm about 20 years behind!!). What are your favourite Mixes for, say a cheesey Paste (I noticed Sedge mentioned a Danish Blue cheese Paste) etc... What about the "trendy" pastes by the likes of John Baker ? Worth a go ? your Thoughts Please !!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Birds Nest (that's a fine handle!)

Cheese paste is so easy even I can do it. And chub love it.

50% frozen puff pastry mix from the supermarket
25% danish blue or stilton
25% mature cheddar

Roll out the pastry, crumble the cheese on and mix it up by hand.

Increase the amount of stilton in winter as it's softer than cheddar and stops the bait going hard in cold water.

You can also colour cheese paste. Red's good. It keeps forever in the freezer too. Keep refreezing what you don't use, it gets better and better.

S

Stewart Bloor

I've fished a lot this winter so far with a short crust pastry base (courtesy of Mrs Sedge). Then added hemp oil, fishmeal, betain, amongst other things, using blue cheese flavour. It's working well so far, and I'm 'fine tuning' the recipe a little, bit by bit.

B

Birds Nest

Thats Great... The only problem I can see is that I'm likely to Scoff the stilton and Cheddar before it even gets close to a paste..... :).

S

Stewart Bloor

But I'm sure you won't eat the fish meal...or the betaine...or drink the hemp oil...

P

Paul Williams

Birds nest, don't forget the ole trout pellet paste, i caught my first big carp (17lb, biggish in 74!!) on it and it is still great for a lot of species, and it's cheap and simple.

B

Birds Nest

Great, I've knocked up some fantastically Cheesey paste.. I'll give it a go over the weekend...

P

peter webber

DAVE
I've always thought about using cheese paste ( i've been making my own pellet paste for some time ) but I never knew how to make it.
BUT thanks to you I do now and i'll be trying it next week.
THANKS
PETE.

C

Carp Angler

Don't forget meat pastes.
Sausage meat as the base and you can add anything to it.
Flavours, colours, boilie base mixes etc etc.

Has anybody added cooked hemp to their cheese paste?

R

Ryan Turner

Stewart, have you noticed any big differences in catch rate by adding betaine to your pastes? I have just made some cheese paste using pastry mix, fresh parmesan a bit of stilton and some rod hutchinson blue cheese and garlic liquid. I was tempted to buy some expensive boilie base mix but wasn't convinced it was worth the tenner it costs in terms of chub/barbel on the bank. I know that fish are supposed to be able to sense the nutritional content of the bait but do they really think about it that much or is it the old "it'll catch more anglers than fish" scenario?

B

Bar Barbus

On the sausage meat mix, I have added ground uncooked liver, and fished with this with some success for both Carp and barbel.

C

Carp Angler

Liver is a fantastic bait and additive.
If it wasn't so expensive I'd add powdered liver to nearly everything I use.

S

Stewart Bloor

Ryan, good question. I think it's impossible to answer in many ways. Unless one fished two identical set ups etc and the only difference was that one bait contained betaine and the other didn't it would be difficult to measure the success. And even then there would be other factors because both baits wouldn't be in exactly the same spot and so on.
I suppose it could be tested under laboratory conditions, but then that wouldn't be natural.
I think the over-riding factor, as far as I'm concerned is confidence.
But I've got to be honest and say there are days when the concoction paste won't even get a line bite, yet I catch on bread !!