Pellet waggler rods

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Just after some advice re pellet waggler rods, in respect of how they would perform if you use it for smaller fish rather than perhaps carp and larger baits that it may be designed for. Does it still perform using smaller baits for smaller fish? Reason I ask is I have quite bad tendonitis in my right shoulder at present, so looking to decrease the amount of gear I lug around. If so, was thinking of getting one of the new daiwa matchman pellet wagglers. The fishery that I will be going to does have a head of carp and tench, but also lots of silvers. For the price of £45, and good reviews, it could be a good option for me at present. TIA

sam vimes

Reaction score
It very much depends on the rod in question. Some rods labelled as "Pellet Waggler" barely seem powerful enough for light floats and modestly sized carp. Others are brutal pokers that seem like a huge overkill. Most are somewhere in between.

I'm afraid I can't advise on any specific rod. I have one ten year old pellet waggler rod which I rarely use. However, it is from the lighter end of the spectrum. Rather than relying on power to defeat bigger carp, it does it by bending to sap their energy. It does mean that it is reasonably competent fishing light floats for small fish.