Pellets the new luncheon meat?

T

Terry Comerford

River Severn match anglers had various amounts of success targeting barbel with pellet feed and large halibut pellets on hair rigs,this summer.
Are pellets set to become the new luncheon meat on river matches?

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
I had heard about the pellet winning a lot of matches on the rivers last year. While the meat is a very good bait there is still something about pellets that makes the fish feed a bit longer. Only time will tell if pellets are the number 1 or not.

S

Shrek

I reckon you'll find it will go the way of all baits and fish will wise up to it eventually, like they have with luncheon meat and sweetcorn on some venues.

IMHO try something different, or a different approach to it. Coshida Cat Food is also meant to be OK as well, but a bit harder to keep on the hook.

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
in practice sessions i have had good bags of bream and skimmers on baked beens but have not had the confidence to use them in a match

M

MALC DOYLE

Nothing new about pellets Terry.

Back in the 70's i was shown how to fish them on Canal, River and Lakes by my grandad the only things that are new regards pellets is the wider varity we now have to play with.

There's no such thing as a " NEW BAIT " these days.

T

Terry Comerford

You're right Malc, I would say every bait and method has been used before.
I think the angler who refines and improves, is the one that catches more fish.

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
the only new baits that have come out recently have been additives which are suposed to turn fish into eating machiens i have tried them but did not think they made a blind bit of diference have any of you got a good word to say about them

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
even the additives are not new, continental style groundbaits have contained additives for as long as I can remember

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
i supose it is just the way we blend them some times we get it right and sometimes we do not. on the comersal waters where they are over stocked the fish are allways hungre everyone can catch, but there are a few anglers even on a less favored peg can draw fish and hold them and go on to win the match, when you talk to them you find they are using the same bait as you are.how do they do it?is it that they have some type of fish magnet? i know if the fish are not in front of you you will not catch.

T

Terry Comerford

The fish could be there Tex, but not on the bottom, try altering you're depth constantly for ten minutes, rather than change methods, and see if that works.

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
thanks terry i will try that tomorow , it is the 1st match of the winter leauge kick off at white acers i need all the help i can get