Pellets?

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I've been using trout pellets(where allowed)for longer than I care to remember(how halibut pellets are allowed on many fisheries when they have a higher oil content I don't know), I buy mine from Titmuss's, Wheathampstead, there were two varieties of Skrettings, the Elite and the Horizon, I preferred the Horizon, a lighter coloured pellet, however they are not available anymore, at least in the sizes I require 4/6/8mm, I would try Coppens but from what I read they are halibut pellets which I don't think are quite as attractive to cyprinids as trout pellets and buying proprietary brands is a very expensive option in comparison... at least £4-6 a kilo approximately whereas I can get Skretting Elite for £9.18 for 5 kilos so quite a difference...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Alan a lot of fishery own. pellets are coppens . Yet you have to buy them each time you visit a different fishery .
Some will let you use coppens from other fisheries but thes seem few and far between .
To me it's a money making scheme .
I know tackle shops that sell coppens and skrettings . I buy from there and top the fishery only pellet bags up with those . The fishery usually has its name on the bags .
I think 25 kilo bags are running at around £45 or thereabouts .

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Out of preference I will not use carp pellets, so trout pellet is my choice, from what I see Coppens are either carp or halibut pellet, trout pellet are equally as healthy as halibut, but thet don't break down quick enough so the oily attractant are trapped within...
Another query, Hinders, why have they suddenly stopped selling 25kg sacks of pellets, having only 10kg, I take it, it's because they can rip the angler off for more of their cash that way....

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Before now I have used Pets At Home own brand rabbit feed pellets ( no quips about hare rigging them please).
They soak up well to be used as hooker pellets and take on any flavour you want .
They are just pure veg pellets .
I was using rabbit pellets over 30 years ago , there used to be a rabbit farm near me and I knew a few people who worked there .