Pellets

F

Fred Bonney

I've been noticing in various publications, mention of elips pellets,what are they?

D

Dave Rothery

course i do!!

hinders of swindon HERE do a high oil, elliptical pellet...elip - pile-geddit?

their pellet combo is pretty good, as is the winstone mix. excellent particle/pellet supplier (but not cattle feed supplier prices ;) )

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Dave,but,...what would my animal feed suppliers call them.

F

Fred Bonney

Oh,Ok Dave,thought I might have caught a hint,in you response.
How would you compare/use them, to say,halibut/trout/betaine pellets or are they something completely different?
Better still, can you advise on the difference in usage of each of them,are they all primarily carp feed and bait?

D

Dave Rothery

betaine pellets....everything protein based has betaine in it - so most pellets have betaine in!

to be honest, i dont really think 1 pellet is better than another. if everyones on, say, halibuts then try elipse. be a bit different. i prefer blends. at the moment i use a blend of:

hinders pellet combo (contains elipse,betaine, and trouties?), halibut 14mm, dynamite baits koi 6mm and 2mm. lots of different sizes, tastes and importantly dissolve rates.

i like elip's over silt and heavy weed as they are quite oily so a: sink slower and b: give off a better slick.

fishing hinders "winstone" mix over pellet can be good-especially with a 14mm halibut or 10mm boilie. try it as method, or dry powder in pva bags.

hope it helps. i'll try and show a bit in the write up for the "improver" trip i'm doing on sunday.......

F

Fred Bonney

Brilliant stuff Dave,just as we come to expect from this site and from you, thanks.As you probably guessed I don't fish for Carp specifically,but next sunday our pub club is visiting a water in Lincs., where I know of Carp around the upper teens/twenty mark.
So,I will have a go concentrating on the carp and therefore i'm swatting up a bit.

It would seem to me,from your point,that if I used elips on a river they would need to be on the bottom as quickly as possible to overcome their slow sink rate and to start the slick in the swim,rather than down stream. This is for Chub/ Barbel and perhaps the surprise Carp.

D

Dave Rothery

stick them in groundbait, or soak them in a little water so they go a bit softer, just soft enough to stick together but not to go to "mush". that way they'll sink quicker and be a bit more "instant"

thanks fred, i'm really not that good, as williams about to find out....... :0

F

Fred Bonney

Well,you certainly are able to put across a good response,maybe I'll take you upon some coaching one day!
You have one problem,at least,that I know of...get get wound up by Ron Clay ;0)

D

Dave Rothery

i dont get wound up by him, other than the fact he can never follow an arguement through!

D

Dave Rothery

funny actually, michael says match anglers are noddies and gets shot down in flames, ron slags carp anglers and we're being over-sensitive...........but i'm not going there......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ah, but Ron's a professional winder-upper and you lose street cred points by getting wound up by him.

Trouble is, most people are getting wise to him now and laughing it off.

Getting slagged by Ron has almost become a compliment.

D

Dave Rothery

my god, if i've lost MORE street cred i'm really in trouble.

so your saying ron LOVES carp and beer swilling, curry eating, music pumping, dayglo wearing carp anglers then ;)

F

Fred Bonney

My fault,shouldn't have mentioned the name.
I am sure he loves carp, though none of the others.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
He hates 'em all, and a lot of other things that have yet to be slagged. But I'm sure he'll get round to it. We'll have to wait though, he's down the fens for a week and he might not escape.