Pike baits

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Anybody using these?....

20211111_092101.jpg

20211111_092108.jpg
I got 1kg of herring, 1kg of mackerel and 1kg of sprats for less than £8. Not sure if that's cheap or average. Not sure how good they will be.

Worth a punt at the price I guess.

David Gane

Reaction score
Always worth checking out the prices of fresh fish at your local supermarket fish counter and freezing it yourself before buying frozen stuff. Having said that, what you've bought does look cheap by comparison with a lot of frozen deadbaits.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Always worth checking out the prices of fresh fish at your local supermarket fish counter and freezing it yourself before buying frozen stuff. Having said that, what you've bought does look cheap by comparison with a lot of frozen deadbaits.
I got 4 mackerel from morrisons last week and they cost over £5.

It's my 1st year targeting pike so didn't keep any of my own mackerel from the summer. They all went to the smoker. I will be getting mackerel, whiting, scad etc. Next summer.

David Gane

Reaction score
Yes, there's no doubt that prices vary throughout the year. Stuff comes in and out of season. Buy when it's cheap and keep a supply in the freezer for later in the year. That has the added benefit of meaning that you always have bait available even if the angling shops aren't open

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Its a good price as said, but there's times Morrisons are cheaper than that. I usually buy from there and vacuum pack in 2's or 3's then freeze them myself, vacuum packing will maintain their quality over to the following year without ice forming around them and burning them.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Its a good price as said, but there's times Morrisons are cheaper than that. I usually buy from there and vacuum pack in 2's or 3's then freeze them myself, vacuum packing will maintain their quality over to the following year without ice forming around them and burning them.
I will invest in a vacuum packing machine. I won't be buying any next year as I do a lot of sea fishing. I only decided to fish for pike this year after all my mackerel had been eaten ?

I will be raiding the canal for roach next year too!