pike fishing

j_devey

Reaction score
is anyone from the shropshire area? i would like to know some good locations and tips of what type of bait to use if anyone can help i will be very grateful. jack :)

blounty65

Reaction score
i had one the other week unintetionally on spanish choritso sausage scared the bloody life out of me normally i get the son in law to deal with them but i was on my own and had to do it myself, and it wasnt as bad as i thought just need to keep your wits about you

j_devey

Reaction score
hey neil, thank you for the welcome and pete where was u when u caught
jack.

blounty65

Reaction score
sneyd school pool bloxwich £20 for the year and theres some nice fish in there

j_devey

Reaction score
i think that will be a bit far away for me i live in telford if anyone is from around the area
jack :)

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Just a few general points, Jack. Pike are found in more or less every natural water; commercial carp puddles don't stock them but they'll be in most club waters.

Secondly, pike are not long-lived fish - unlike carp - so you don't have to chase down individual fish as a rule). All reasonably fertile waters have cyclic explosions of a year-class of fish, maybe roach or bream. When that happens, pike have easy hunting and pack on a lot of weight. So big pike can turn up almost anywhere.

Thirdly, the best way to catch any kind of big fish is to fish the same place regularly and get to know it. That's why there is absolutely nothing better than buying a club season ticket and exploring your local waters. You will definitel;y catch pike.

Finally, I'm guessing you haven't caught many pike before now. I must strongly suggest you tag along with an experienced pike angler and get to know all the basics, like unhooking them safely, before you go off exploring on your own. They might look tough, but pike are very fragile and you can easily kill them by handling them badly.

I might mention that a river called The Severn flows near Telford. I think it has produced a few pike over the years....