Pike on the Fly

R

Rob Brownfield

What is even better is cathing a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself for a specific purpose on a specific water.

Robert, give me a shout if u need any flies tied up...I can do specials or suggest flies. The Forth and Clyde canal up this way has some good pike in it and there have been some special flies developed for the canal.

Good luck

R

Ron Clay

Rob,

I couldn't agree more. Tying your own flies is a major part of the pleasure attained in fly fishing.

Maybe you can do me a couple of canal specials too. I want to try a pikey stretch of one of our canals shortly

C

Chris Bishop

Just heard on the grapevine someone's had a 32 out of Rutland - a trout fly angler using a 7lb (!) leader.

R

Ron Clay

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

I'll bet it gave the angler a good old scrap. Probabley hooked on the outside of the mouth

C

Chris Bishop

Fairly hooked on a smallish fly. Another lad I know had a 20 off there on a fly last summer.

C

Chris Bishop

Just checked and it was on a Minky - whetever that is - and took him 40mins to land in the dark.

Scary.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris,,,a Minky is basically a strip of Mink (sometimes rabbit) fur lashed to a hook (simple terms obviously)
Its a smaller version of a pike fly known as a Bunny Bug...kind of...

R

Ron Clay

I wonder just how many pike would be landed at these reserviors if the fly anglers used a short wire trace. I'll bet many big fish are lost when you get a take and the leader breaks after a short fight. It's happened to me at both Rutland and Grafham

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, why not try it? I reckon some outsize "Trout flies" would be the order of the day!

R

Robert Woods

I want to have a go at tying my own Pike flies.Can anyone give me any advice on tools/materials/patterns that I would need.I am new to fly tying so is there any books that would help me.
Thanks,
Bob Woods.

R

Rob Brownfield

Robert
Pike flies require a good vice, as the hooks are so big, a normal trout fly vice wont last long. U will then need tools such as a bobbin holder, scissors, hackle pliers etc. I would suggest looking at http://www.sportsmail.ltd.uk/game_tackle/sportsmail45a.htm which has a Pike starter kit with vice and tools. This should give you a good selection of materials to get started with. its about ?45. Also consider the Saltwater kit without tools as this will allow epoxy flies etc to be made as well.

U will also need hooks. I use several different one, namely Spearpoints from Breakaway, Varivas champions, Partridge Ad Swier pike fly hooks and Mustard Nordic and Aberdeens. All these hooks bar the Ad Swier hooks are sea fishing hooks and can be bought from any sea angling shop/mail order website. The Varivas hooks are particularly good. Look at sizes from about a 2 upto about a 6/0.

E mail me if you would like any more help/details.

As for books, u may be able to get an american book on tying sea patterns...this would be more relivant to pike flies than a book on trout patterns. I dont know of one off hand...sorry.