Pike plugs

P

peter webber

I want to try my hand at pike fishing with plug but with so many on sale I don't know where to start.
So I would like to know what ones do you think I should go for and why???
THANKS
PETE

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Just answered a similar one on Anglers Net.Take a look.Sorry a bit short but off fishing this morning.

R

Rob Brownfield

Where to start....mmm...try Rapala Super Shad Raps, and Shad Raps in natural and bright colours. You will not go wrong with them!!
Have a look at harris angling on the web etc...and speak to anglers on the bank

G

Gareth Lewis

I have been using Banjo Minnows, which I originally bought from the QVC channel, but Harris angling also supply.
I have not blanked yet whilst using them on either rivers or lakes. But I have yet to top pike of 7lbs on them.They have also accounted for perch to 2lbs for me and a chubb of about a 1lb.
They are easy to use,and I find that they work best if used with a short spinning type trace. All fish that I have caught on them have been hooked either in the scissors or right at the front of the lower jaw. Even none predatory fish find them interesting with roach and small carp following the lure in, but alas not taking.

G

Gareth Lewis

Iam still not having any luck,cracking the 7lb limit with the banjo minnows. But one of my banjo minnows did take the only fish during our local club's predator match this weekend. A rather spirted jack of spot on 5lbs. To make the sucsess of victory sweeter the rod and reel that I caught on was bought from one of my fellow competitors just prior to the match.

C

Chris Bishop

I've very limioted lure fishing experience, as I only started doing it "seriously" this season.

I've had quite a few fish on jointed Rapalas and Super Shad Raps, though these are dear at around ?12 each.

Shakespeare Big S are cheap and cheerful but the hooks need replacing as the ones they come with aren't much use.

I've also done well with spinnerbaits like Northland Reed Runners, esp the copper-coloured patterns. You can work them really slow over the bottom without snagging.

Harris Angling Co is a great source of info - their catalogue literally contains thousands of lures.

There's also a Lure Anglers Soc website with reviews and guides to fishing the popular patterns.

jack kington

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifumm well i was pike fishing i lost my giant lure./forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif it was like a big red and orange 1 and umm do you have any suggestions on what to buy to catch big pike on a cannal.?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, if you're as rich as Croesus, you could get a shedful of plugs, dawgs, hawgs, and such, but if money is an object, get some spinnerbaits.

Fat blades to run shallow, slim ones to run deep. Crunch the barbs a bit and they come out far easier than plugs (mostly) and expect to pay £3 tops on fleabay.

Because they run with the hook-point up, and shielded by the spinning blade, you'll lose about a tenth the number you would withplugs.

And if you see any with the white skirts with red tips, please tell me!!!

Yoggy999

Reaction score
Peter,

Choosing a lure is also down to the type of locations you intend to fish[ie.. Deep,Shallow,weedy,etc]. Also,make sure your rod,braid etc is up for the job depending on the weight of your chosen lure.As already stated Spinnerbaits are a good starting point and they have a proven track record in catching. Rubber Shads are also brilliant lures that you can bounce off the bottom to entice your quarry. At this time of yearyou can also try surface lures.There are literally 100`s to choose from butany Fred Arbogast is a good starting point.