Pike rods

Old fisher

Reaction score
When I was well into my Pike fishing 1980s/90s I purchased 2 rods for dead baiting (now in the hands of my Grandchildren) they were the best dead baiting rods I had amongst quite a few other rods. They were the original John Wilson pike rods, a lovely green coloured carbon 2.75lbs tc. rod. When needed, I could lob a whole herring a good 60 yds, and they handled pike fantastically well. What were your favourite rod/s ?

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a Drennan pike rod a couple of years which feels too pokey for me and so far I have only caught one pike with it. I cannot remember the name but it's 12' with a healthy tc. I try now to ignore rods which imply they are only/ suitable/ strong enough for a particular species as that is misleading. In fairness to this rod my deadbait casts are a gentle lob.

steve2

Reaction score
Without a doubt my two go to pike rods when dead baiting are 2 TFG compact carp rod. Lovely rods, cast well, play fish well, and best of all I paid just over £50 for the pair. I also switched a friend over to these rods and they have also becomes his go to rods. Two rods that don't get much use are my 10ft 6" Greys Prowla Pike Boat Rods, lovely rods but I stopped fishing the waters where I needed them. Never used them in boats I needed shorter rods for the waters with over hanging trees.

terry m

Reaction score
For stillwater I use 3 x Greys Platinum 3lb rods and for rivers 2 x Greys Platinum 2.25 lb rods. I love them, great playing action. I actually prefer the softer rods but they just don’t have the backbone to belt out large herrings or mackerel any distance.

Old fisher

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get to the Trent soon for a first ever river session so I will try a couple of 2.75lb tc Daiwa Powermesh Barbel rods and see how they go

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I just checked mine which was bought by Er indoors as a Christmas pressie in 2019. It’s a Drennan Esox Power Pikeflex 12’ rod of 3.25 tc. Far too pokey for me and not really suitable for the waters I fish. I’ll try it again soon.

John Aston

Reaction score
I have two Drennan Pike rods - 12 ft 2.75 TC. I used them a lot for pike to 20 plus when I did a lot of deadbaiting and they were fine. But TBH rods that only get cast a few times a day and only catch relatively few fish aren't very interesting , as they spend most of the time just sitting there .

Fly and lure rods (and reels too ) are very different as they are in one's hands all day . My revelation of recent years is just how fit for purpose a light rod can be for pretty big fish . I've been targetting pike with my light lure set up over the last few weeks and use a 2500 or 3000 reel and a 7-6 Drennan Dropshot rod rated 4g to 16 g. I've caught 15 pike in the last few sessions from rivers , with 5 doubles . And despite the featherweight gear, I haven't struggled once , and it has taken no longer to land fish than with conventional broomstick rods . And it has been huge fun too. So, food for thought ?

Old fisher

Reaction score
Very interesting account of catches. I know fly fishing for pike is becoming a popular method. Do you use salmon flies or purposely made pike flies?

John Aston

Reaction score
I use Marabou streamer files on about size 1 long shanks, starting in late summer But I actually much prefer light lures , using small paddle tail lures on 4s to 2/0s - the sort of thing usually used for perch

Old fisher

Reaction score
I find that very interesting. If I were to have a go at fly fishing for pike is there a rod(not too expensive) that is worth a try considering the possible size of pike, that might have a go at the fly, you might think worth a try. I wouldn't blame you if it didn't work out, but at my age (75) I don't want to keep buying more and more rods Thanks

ian g

Reaction score
I've had encounters with pike when float fishing for perch on the Severn , I have managed to land everything that hasn't bitten the line without a massive amount of trouble . The largest was 13 lb . i had one on Sunday at 11.7 on 3.2 Drennan floatfish line . I find they love lob worms

Attachments

• IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 64

swede

Reaction score
I’m looking at this rod for pike float fishing. Just a cheap 12 foot 2.75lb
NGT XPR rod.

Should work fine should it?

John Aston

Reaction score
I find that very interesting. If I were to have a go at fly fishing for pike is there a rod(not too expensive) that is worth a try considering the possible size of pike, that might have a go at the fly, you might think worth a try. I wouldn't blame you if it didn't work out, but at my age (75) I don't want to keep buying more and more rods Thanks
Look for a 9ft rod from decent firms Airflo or Shakespeare in 7 or 8 weight . A cheap reel with a WF 8 - or WF 7 if you use smaller , lighter flies like me . Leader of about 15lb and short wire trace with a link swivel. Good to go !

Old fisher

Reaction score
I've had encounters with pike when float fishing for perch on the Severn , I have managed to land everything that hasn't bitten the line without a massive amount of trouble . The largest was 13 lb . i had one on Sunday at 11.7 on 3.2 Drennan floatfish line . I find they love lob worms
When I was at secondary school I used to go pike fishing with my cousin. and we actually always fished for them using worms. between us we caught loads of pike up to about 9lbs but that was the biggest. We learnt about that from other anglers who always fished that way. I'm surprised that people no longer seem to do it.

ian g

Reaction score
I use a centre pin a lot I find they often grab the bait on retrieve. I don’t target them with worms but certainly catch a few . More than when I target them with live baits/ dead baits

john step

Reaction score
I’m looking at this rod for pike float fishing. Just a cheap 12 foot 2.75lb
NGT XPR rod.

Should work fine should it?
Swede, I am sure it would be fine. NGT rods are better quality than the price would suggest. I have 3 NGT carp rods under the "Dynamic" sub title and they are my favourite carp rods for small to medium size waters being 11ft and 2.75.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi I won one of their 4 piece travel rods a year or so ago for a letter I wrote to the now defunct Anglers Mail. I haven't used it but it looks a decent enough rod, but I've seen a couple of their carp rods in the hands of young anglers that have broken top sections. I also had a friend who said he had one of their carp rod snap on casting. All these breakages could have been caused for a number of reasons, misuse etc. I think though if you do get one, and they all look OK I think you need to take care of it and not take it to extremes of its intended purpose and it would probably be fine. After all there wouldn't be much point of a company making thousands of them if they weren't any good.

john step

Reaction score
If its the 4 piece travel rod that is about 9 foot I cannot comment but I have three "Dynamic" 4 piece11 foot travel carp rods. Super slim. Top quality. I have used them extensively with no worries and had one or two biguns on them.

steve2

Reaction score
I have a couple of cheap 4 piece carp and fly rods sold under the Ron Thompson brand. Never had a problem with these. Unlike some expensive rod they can take a bit abuse which in my mind is what all rods should be capable of without a fear of breaking.