Pike rods

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
What would I look for in a reasonable dead baiting rod? I don't need long distances; my venues are reasonable small with no need for big casts and I don't turn to baits that often as I'm mostly a lure chap. Would 3lb carp rods at 10ft do the job? I'm thinking float/float legering tactics, should that make a difference!

Keith M

Reaction score
I use a couple of 12ft 3lb test curve Carp rods for both float and Leger work for Pike; which are fine when pulling home hooks in bony jaws and casting out average sized live and dead baits.

Keith

Last edited:

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Agree, your 10ft 3lb tc rods should be absolutely fine.

Invest the cash saved, into decent unhooking tools.
These I have already as I've pike fished for years - just always with lures! I've had a couple of goes at dead baiting over the weekend and caught nothing, But I know there were fish there as I landed a 13lb 11oz fish on a soft plastic that was hooked only about 15yds from where my dead bait was. I can't prove it, but having never done it before the weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if my rig was set poorly or unnaturally.

1670173337135.png

Philip

Reaction score
Would 3lb carp rods at 10ft do the job?

Yes agree with they others, they would do the job just fine.

I think we all fall into the trap of wanting to have the perfect tool for every situation when in reality we dont really need it.

Use those & save your money and garage space :)

David Gane

Reaction score
I use the same 12 ft, 2.75 lb tc rods for piking as I use for carp fishing. Someone once told me that the blanks used for pike rods are the same as carp rods, but that the pike rods usually have a coupe less rings. Certainly, it works just fine for me. As for rigs, I don't think anything over-complicated is necessary. Pike aren't that finicky, and if they're in the mood they'll take a bait (it does pay to ring the changes on the actual baits though). When float fishing I use a sliding float with a simple, old fashioned two hook setup on a wire trace. For legering I use a running lead and the same two hook traces.