Pike Rods.

chipbuttee

Reaction score
My clubs pike season starts on the 1st of October I had taken myself off for a few items browsing in a local tackle shop I overheard part of a conversation regarding dead bait Pike Rods. A gentleman close by was making enquires regarding the purchase of a 12ft Pike Rod . The assistant was fine with information regarding reels and end tackle but when it came to a rod guided him to expensive Carp Rods!!. Fortunately the assistant was called away for a few minutes I had a quick word and referred him to looking up Drennan, Fox, Wychwood etc. for proper dedicated Pike Rods.

steve2

Reaction score
Most carp rods also make good pike rods. Most of my pike fishing as been done using carp rods. It is just a name on the rod butt.

@Clive

Reaction score
Not all carp rods will have the through action required to cast deadbaits. It requires a different casting style to launching a boilie and four ounce lead to the far bank if you want the deadbait to arrive at its destination intact. I have a couple of Fox Ranger 2.75 tc carp rods that would be suitable. But I also had a Greys GT3 3lb tc rod that was totally unsuitable for pike fishing.

And the dedicated pike rods tend to have more guides that I prefer to the 5 guide carp style.

chevin4

Reaction score
Carp rods tend to be tip actioned and fast actioned which are fine for casting a lead and small bait they are also quite thin walled blanks compared to a dedicated pike rod. I have just taken procession of a pike rod built by Tony Gibson although the tc is 3.5tc it is very progressive I purchased it for punching out big deadbsits. I also have a pair of 2.75tc Dave Lumb P1 rods these superb also through actioned but thicker walled blanks them a std carp rod.