Please convince me I don't want a centre pin!!!!

waldi

Reaction score
Gents.
Desperately need someone to convince me I don't want a centre pin!!!

I (Float) fish a small, shallow, normally fast flowing river, not much more than 30 foot wide.
Banks are steep and often overgrown. Grass sometimes to armpit high.
Most places not much room above or behind due to bushes and trees.

Species are the normal Common Carp, Barbel, Roach and Chub.
Can a pin be used effectively in those conditions?

I've been putting an Okuma Sheffield in and out of the shopping basket for about a week now and really can't decide whether or not to press the buy button :(

Any thoughts please?

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
You don't 'need' it. A fixed spool will be fine. If you want it however, and you think it might give you more pleasure whilst fishing, then just buy it.

steve2

Reaction score
There is a difference between need and want. I have stacks of tackle including centrepins that the didn't need but wanted.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing with a pin, often to the point that I would be better off with a fixed spool reel. I fish purely for fun, but there comes a point where the reel becomes an encumbrance and is no longer a pleasure to use. If you believe this to be the case then in this instance it may not be worthwhile. On the other hand I am sure this won’t be the only river you will ever fish and if you do decide to buy a centrepin then the Sheffield is a very good choice, it’s also more robust than most other centrepins. If you are fishing a static bait close in or trotting off the rod tip they are okay but casting in a tight swim with a lot of vegetation particularly if it’s windy is a right pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Buy it. It will add another dimension to your fishing, and can do things a fs can't do as well. As to want, need and all that, the distinction doesn't apply imo. Is enjoyment and pleasure in use a want or a need? If you have 20 rods, number 21 probably duplicates one you have. But a centre pin doesn't duplicate a fs - it's a different animal.

mikench

Reaction score
This life is not a dress rehearsal. Go for it and the Sheffield is a good choice. I'm useless with one unless it's a calm day and I don't have to cast far. It's a part of fishing and certainly one to be experienced. The true experience and appreciation can only be appreciated with a proper one imo. There is the pleasure of owning a beautiful thing and if it's not for you then it will hold its value.

ian g

Reaction score
I fish with a pin most of the time , Trotting and laying on in the Severn . I have quite a few mostly 2nd hand off ebay but also a Youngs Purist . My go to reel is an Adventa Pro , pretty much a Sheffield with a different coat , They are smooth and robust . I've caught a good few barbel and pike on mine and as Ray said they are robust . I use pins because they give you direct contact and unless you are trotting a light float along way they make trotting more fun . If you do press buy I think you have made a good choice.

steve2

Reaction score
Shouldn't have read this post it as got me looking at centre pins on ebay. There are a few nice one on there:)

Keith M

Reaction score
Gents.
Desperately need someone to convince me I don't want a centre pin!!!

I (Float) fish a small, shallow, normally fast flowing river, not much more than 30 foot wide.
Banks are steep and often overgrown. Grass sometimes to armpit high.
Most places not much room above or behind due to bushes and trees.

Species are the normal Common Carp, Barbel, Roach and Chub.
Can a pin be used effectively in those conditions?

I've been putting an Okuma Sheffield in and out of the shopping basket for about a week now and really can't decide whether or not to press the buy button :(

Any thoughts please?

Bite the bullet and buy it. It will give you loads of enjoyment catching and playing Carp, Barbel, Roach and Chub on your stream.

It may not be an essential item but it will (as Kev said) add another dimension to your fishing and give you a great amount of enjoyment.

NB: Don’t make the common mistake of buying a cheap centrepin first to see if you like centrepins; a cheap centrepin is usually nothing like a decent ‘trotting’ centrepin like the Sheffield.

As well as trotting for Barbel and Chub on my local stream; I also get a great deal of enjoyment using my Sheffield when I’m fishing for Tench and smallish Carp close in on my local estate lake.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Buy,buy,buy,the only issue is that you will probably want another....

Keith M

Reaction score
It’s worth knowing that you can buy spare spools for the Sheffield too. I bought a spare spool with mine so that I could use different strength lines with it.

Keith

The Sogster

Reaction score
The Sheffield is a good reel but I prefer the Adventa Pro.
Because the spokes on the Sheffield are basically a flat plate bolted to the face of the reel it adds weight and starting inertia is higher to overcome.

You could take the spokes off and use without handles though.

Thoroughly enjoyable way to fish and has been said can be used for many styles of fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
I prefer the Sheffield myself TS; I find the difference in weight is minimal and is hardly noticeable (if at all) and the starting inertia is almost non existent; I can start mine turning with a gentle blow; but I like them both and they are both excellent trotting pins.

Keith

Last edited: