plumb the depth

Reaction score
When plumbing the depth Iam always unsure if i have spooked the fish. This
is when I want to go beyond the rod tip
Is there a lighter way apart from useing
a huge plumb, only I have heard it said
also that moving the shot up and down the line weakens it any ideas anyone.??

Richard Lush

Reaction score
SHOT CAN WEAKEN THE LINE WHEN MOVED UP & DOWN THE LINE A NUMBER OF TIMES WHEN PLUMBING THE DEPTH, WHAT I USUALLY DO IS TO ATTACH THE FLOAT USING A PIECE OF FLOAT RUBBER, THEN ADD THE SHOT WHEN I HAVE FOUND THE RIGHT DEPTH. THIS NOT ONLY REMOVES THE RISK OF WEAKENING THE LINE, BUT ALSO YOU CAN GET A TRUER READING AS THE ONLY WEIGHT THERE IS TO COCK THE FLOAT IS THE PLUMMET.

paul heenan

Reaction score
I have to agree with Richard for the best way to plumb the depth, but 1 bit of advice is to either make a mental note of the depth or write it down so u dont need to keep doing it in the same place more than once

Tony Nixon

Reaction score
TRY MARKING THE DEPTH ON YOUR ROD OR POLE WITH CORRECTION FLUID CLIP YOUR HOOK PULL TIGHT AND MARK THE TIP OF YOUR FLOAT ON YOUR ROD OR POLE

jp

Reaction score
If you already have some sort of idea of the depth just shot up your float correctly and then squeeze a swan shot straight onto the hook.Get the depth sorted out like that and then remove the swan shot.

jp

Reaction score
.........nope, they're useless for plumbing the depth Juggsy, stick with the swan shot or a plummet.