Plumbing depth of Reservoir

Perch@2

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm back with forum and question in my head when resevouir fishing for Pike perch, Carp what is the best method used?

Fish safe Neil ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m assuming that you don’t mean the normal plumbing up of your swim before you are fishing which is fairly straight forward using either a large shot attached to your hook or a standard plumbing weight attached to your hook.

When I’ve been plumbing the depths of swims when I’ve been trying to draw up a map of a lake in the past searching for bars and gulleys I’ve used a 2oz lead with a Pike float as in the picture below.

Cast out and tighten up, then let out line and count the length of line (in feet) that’s needed for the float to reach the surface.

It’s worked pretty well for me in the past.

Below is a different method that I’ve used on rivers in the distant past is. Cast out and give out line until it looks like your hitting the bottom then just tighten up and the float will lock at that depth. However using this method your limited up to certain depths only depending on the length of your rod; as well as the speed of the flow.

I used to spend many hours mapping waters when I was a lot younger and extremely keen on this type of thing :)

Keith

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Get a marker float and a 1oz bomb. Slide the bomb onto your line then tie the float on the end. Chuck it out then tighten up so the float is on the bottom tight to the lead. Mark your rod with a foot above your reel, then feed line out a foot at a time until the float surfaces.

Perch@2

Reaction score
Good day rich66 yes in past we had conversations, your good man.

Yes has you know about wife, ongoing situation, just like my fishing!

Safe fishing Neil ?

How's your familly rich66 and life in general good? ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
Just been down Valendre with Sharon for blood check, and just done delivered of last Christmas presents.

Ale tonight and relaxe, with this virus fishing was my time out but that's stopped now and who know when it will return. Saying that when vaccine is out R numbers will reduce, and we'll fish!

Keep safe rich66 ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
(y)

Attachments

• 20190521_111019.jpg
    20190521_111019.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 116

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Some won’t like this answer but if your dealing with a big body of water and one with some depth to it devices like Deeper really do come into their own. It’s basically a digital marker float but much faster.

Perch@2

Reaction score
Some won’t like this answer but if your dealing with a big body of water and one with some depth to it devices like Deeper really do come into their own. It’s basically a digital marker float but much faster.
I hav'nt stepped over to digital side yet but no doubt I will go there in time.

Thanks for wording, dorsetsteve.

Fish safe and happy (when time comes), Neil ?

Perch@2

Reaction score
Evening Keith M this method you've illustrated should work well, I've joined a different fishing alliance which brings new waters so, exploration time!.

When the times comes that I can approach the water, I'll Txt you with my results, Thank you again.

Fish safe and happy, Neil ?

Attachments

• 1611868382918.png
    1611868382918.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 217

chevin4

Reaction score
Depth O Magic dont know if they are still available but brilliant less hassle and disturbance than a marker float also cast really well and simple to use.

Perch@2

Reaction score
Depth O Magic dont know if they are still available but brilliant less hassle and disturbance than a marker float also cast really well and simple to use.
Depth of magic, I'll look into that?, cheers chevin4

chevin4

Reaction score
Depth of magic, I'll look into that?, cheers chevin4

Hi Neil Walkers of Trowell Nottingham may be a good starting point. I know they used to sell a similar product which is every bit of good.
Good luck take care Hugh