Polaris Floats

hague01

Reaction score
I have had a love hate relationship with the above, but being particularly thick, untalented and generally moronic I never quite got the hang of using these floats successfully in both deep and shallow water. Returning to the bank after the lock down has however been a revelation.By treating the rod line, polaris and feeder etc as I would a quiver tip, has worked wonders. therefore, for what its worth here for anyone else interested in having a try. The key, for me is a fairly stiff'ish rod,not too heavy, 1 1/2 to 1.3/4, polaris float to cover the depth required, method feeder and 4" hook length.
Throw in as per normal, keep bail arm open until feeder hits the deck.Close bail arm, wind back until line submerged, then swiftly bring rod up, as per surface float fishing to sink the line, release bail arm, place rod on rests, float will surface very quickly. then just wind in to set. Keep line tight, as per a feeder so there is no play anywhere. The float will hold position even in heavy'ish waves. Bites are as positive as on a quiver. Used for up to late teens for carp.Works really well.( stress for me, no guarantees but its well worth a shot. I try to line another rod up so looking in one direction I can see both showing any bites. It has been great fun and very successful.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a mate who started using these all the time on commercials. They always looked a bit heavy and not very sensitive to me and he never caught more fish than me using lighter normal float fishing tactics. However, this looks like a good way to use them.

Keith M

Reaction score
They never seemed to catch on back in those days, especially amongst the serious Match men.

I bought a couple but they ended up at the back of my shed soon after I bought them, probably because I had no use for them back then.

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been using them quite a lot for the last ten years, ever since I started to fish a deep gravel pit. They are ungainly to use, but, despite appearances, definitely aren't insensitive. Quite the opposite, the mechanics of the system make them far more sensitive than a standard waggler of similar proportions would be. One of the biggest issues I see with them is that many people use inappropriately small leads/feeders with them. going too light only makes their use more difficult. However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why anyone would use them on shallow waters. I suppose that it might allow for a different presentation. However, in water much less than six feet deep, I can't see the point in using them.

hague01

Reaction score
I agree about ungainly etc. My favourites look like howitzers,ie the deep water ones. I should have added,the makers advice to point rod tip at float is correct with a big qualification. A straight running fish won't show on the rod tip until it changes direction. But if fished in an arc,say 10 o'clock to 2 then it's the quiver tip effect. Two bite detections not just one. Set up this way too aids self hook setting too. It's the tip effect which to me makes a slightly heavier rod, if a stepped up/ power float/barbel.Even on shallow match lakes Sam, they are a fun alternative to a light float or bomb rod.. ps no I don't have any financial interest in Polaris, just a lot a grey hair due to the frustrations. You r also correct about the minimum weights. At least 50% more imho

hague01

Reaction score
Just a final word on sensitivity. A bobbin, however light, will sink the float. That to me is all I need to know about how sensitive they are. Plus, sorry, if on the bottom, 50 yards away, at 75, the peepers ain't what they were so not only the tip quiver effect helps but if there's no one around a quiet alarm is useful too.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There are also the Premier Locslide floats, I dont think these are as good as the Polaris ones.
I am thinking of getting a few more Polaris, the last ones I had seem to have disappeared over the years. They would be ideal on the gravel pit type waters down here.

hague01

Reaction score
Never tried the locslide but was tempted by my continuing frustrations with the Polaris. They r in Coventry by the way. Yesterday I was fishing just 40 yards in 20' with an ics banjo 30g under the float. Try it like that and I promise you that you will cast it further than u can imagine. It's a great laugh at club waters when someone stops for a chat and asks where u t fishing. When u reply pointing out the float 70 yards away and say float fishing laying on there, they walk away muttering something about telling porkies and suggesting my parents weren't married.

rayner

Reaction score
I think the Polaris float was invented by Terry Smith a Sheffield rod builder and top angler.
Not a float I ever tried but plenty did, a few anglers in a pub club had them, they used them on the local reservoirs.

hague01

Reaction score
I've been using them quite a lot for the last ten years, ever since I started to fish a deep gravel pit. They are ungainly to use, but, despite appearances, definitely aren't insensitive. Quite the opposite, the mechanics of the system make them far more sensitive than a standard waggler of similar proportions would be. One of the biggest issues I see with them is that many people use inappropriately small leads/feeders with them. going too light only makes their use more difficult. However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why anyone would use them on shallow waters. I suppose that it might allow for a different presentation. However, in water much less than six feet deep, I can't see the point in using them.
Hi Sam. Picking your brains if I may please. When I first bought Polaris around 10 years ago they were predominately the balsa stem variety or crystal type. Any paint was matt black. The balsa stem variety was replaced by matt black fairly shortly thereafter. Occasionally the balsa ones appear on Ebay which I try to buy. I saw another pair offered for sale recently with bristle variety and a shape I had never seen before. These are painted metallic charcoal grey.( not tips etc, a luminous ?yellow strip then bright red up to the push in tip. Can you recall when these were in production painted metallic charcoal grey? Used one yesterday in 4-12 ft and it worked a treat. The seller said they were part of a job lot and he had more but has gone away for a month. I plan to pick up with them then. Using yesterday tended to confirm my thoughts that one float can do many depths and the various sizes, depth recommendations etc were aids to selling rather than need! I fished short and at 60 yards and it flew beautifully. Very pleased indeed!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I saw another pair offered for sale recently with bristle variety and a shape I had never seen before. These are painted metallic charcoal grey.( not tips etc, a luminous ?yellow strip then bright red up to the push in tip. Can you recall when these were in production painted metallic charcoal grey?
Sorry, that's not one I've bought or seen before, I have no idea. I primarily bought the longer versions of the clear plastic crystal types. I particularly liked the bodied version which is long discontinued. I'm down to my last two, which are both shorter than they started out. I do have a couple of alternates I've picked up down the line. One is a big bodied float with a sparkly blue finish. Another had a wood/reed stem (with a clear varnish finish) and an insert tip. I tend not to use them too much as I find nylon bristle tips far more visible than painted float tips.

hague01

Reaction score
Sam, I have about 30 plus a you are welcome to any except the balsa stems. I never got on with the long crystals but there is a pair on eBay now, no.20's. If you send me a pic of your favourites ,if I have, you are welcome to them.

hague01

Reaction score
Sorry, that's not one I've bought or seen before, I have no idea. I primarily bought the longer versions of the clear plastic crystal types. I particularly liked the bodied version which is long discontinued. I'm down to my last two, which are both shorter than they started out. I do have a couple of alternates I've picked up down the line. One is a big bodied float with a sparkly blue finish. Another had a wood/reed stem (with a clear varnish finish) and an insert tip. I tend not to use them too much as I find nylon bristle tips far more visible than painted float tips.
Been through my spare new ones which may be of interest. These are no 14= 6-20 and 18 4-16'. Both really are deep water carp but I promise they cast like Exocets and are easy to see at distance. I also have a number of used, which I dont use, so if you have the numbers on yours you wish to replace, just shout.

hague01

Reaction score
Weather against fishing so playing polaris today.I know that I have used the frixon device form broken floats to convert a standard crystal float and a bodied waggler ie TOP float1 -2GR both of which work ok. Not really buoyant enough though imho.. I bought a set of 3 premier missile slide and also a set of 3 bodied wagglers. With a craft knife, a pair of plyers removing the base item and a small drill, I have made 6 new polaris since lunch just to have a bit of clear nail varnish to waterproof the joint.! Its really easy Sam .If you want a photo just say.

mikench

Reaction score
These adapters theoretically convert any eyed waggler into a Polaris/ lock side float.

hague01

Reaction score
I tried those Mike but obviously choose the wrong float as they didn't work for me.

hague01

Reaction score
best advice I ever gave was "Don't listen to me!"

The bad one

Reaction score
Here’s the hack for you guys - The plastic bit on the bottom of Real Polaris (Real Polaris are made by a company called Polaris) have a stalk that goes up into the bottom of the float be that a round tapered balsa body or a straight peacock quill. The stalk, which is about 3 mm and 15 mm long, will take a small-bore piece of catty elastic as a connector.
If you make the catty elastic connector 20-25 mm long you then have a poleis base connector that will take any float that has a stem bottom to it. I’ve used them with standard wagglers, perch bobbers, pike floats I’ve made with a base stem, stick floats, you name the float, I’ve probably used it with the Polaris base.
The catty elastic connector is really that versatile you don’t need to spend a fortune on Polaris floats you just need two one to make into a Polaris connector and the other as a spare. You don’t even need to waste the float part if you buy the straight waggler types, as you can make the peacock quill into an ordinary waggler.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Been through my spare new ones which may be of interest. These are no 14= 6-20 and 18 4-16'. Both really are deep water carp but I promise they cast like Exocets and are easy to see at distance. I also have a number of used, which I dont use, so if you have the numbers on yours you wish to replace, just shout.

I've finally got round to having a look. My preferred option is the bodied 22. However, the straight 21 wasn't bad either.

I may well just modify some alternate floats. However, finding a suitably large bodied waggler with a nylon bristle (that doesn't cost a small fortune), is not particularly easy.