Polaris Floats

hague01

Reaction score
II was very pleased yesterday to open a package of "last century" polaris floats. Sam has been most useful, as always, in supplying a little background but I wonder of anyone else out there remembers them. Here are 2 photos. The pole floats came in a pack of 3, nos 1,2 and 3. Sam says there was some sort of tie up between the float maker( was it then polaris ie maybe Terry Smith/Ultra?) and Anglers World Holidays i n the 80/90's.
The black ones are polaris ledger float no 1, 1/2oz no 2 1oz and no 3 = 2oz. I suspect the no 3 is may be a heavier river version.
Any information on these will be very much appreciated. 2 complete sets of both , new, is something of a find!
I am a big fan of the use of ledger floats and use them every session.. Not sure I will use these even though I am solely tempted thanks. Alec

Attachments

• polaris 2.jpg
    polaris 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • pole floats.jpg
    pole floats.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

flightliner

Reaction score
II was very pleased yesterday to open a package of "last century" polaris floats. Sam has been most useful, as always, in supplying a little background but I wonder of anyone else out there remembers them. Here are 2 photos. The pole floats came in a pack of 3, nos 1,2 and 3. Sam says there was some sort of tie up between the float maker( was it then polaris ie maybe Terry Smith/Ultra?) and Anglers World Holidays i n the 80/90's.
The black ones are polaris ledger float no 1, 1/2oz no 2 1oz and no 3 = 2oz. I suspect the no 3 is may be a heavier river version.
Any information on these will be very much appreciated. 2 complete sets of both , new, is something of a find!
I am a big fan of the use of ledger floats and use them every session.. Not sure I will use these even though I am solely tempted thanks. Alec
Hague, here's my two sets that were sent to me along with a rod by the ATs some 22years ago for a rather large Barbel I had from the tidal reaches of the Trent.
The ones at the top are those you describe as number one/ two/and three, the others are the waggler version weighted in grammes.
Tbh I've never used the top set but have enjoyed using the waggler set for both carp on a notts lake and Bream from another.
They are ideal when there is weed coming to the surface between you and say a clear patch that is often the only place where a bait can be offered— obviously a good floating line helps.
One day I hope to use the other top set, maybe some long range situation will present itself.
The two at the bottom are two home made jobs (not my work btw).
I used to pop in to Terry Smiths shop back in the late 70s/early 80s for bait, he used to make some superb rods back then.
I'm not sure how or when he teamed up with Anglers World tho.
Perhaps when his business partner passed away??.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_133319.jpg
    IMG_20220803_133319.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 45

hague01

Reaction score
Hague, here's my two sets that were sent to me along with a rod by the ATs some 22years ago for a rather large Barbel I had from the tidal reaches of the Trent.
The ones at the top are those you describe as number one/ two/and three, the others are the waggler version weighted in grammes.
Tbh I've never used the top set but have enjoyed using the waggler set for both carp on a notts lake and Bream from another.
They are ideal when there is weed coming to the surface between you and say a clear patch that is often the only place where a bait can be offered— obviously a good floating line helps.
One day I hope to use the other top set, maybe some long range situation will present itself.
The two at the bottom are two home made jobs (not my work btw).
I used to pop in to Terry Smiths shop back in the late 70s/early 80s for bait, he used to make some superb rods back then.
I'm not sure how or when he teamed up with Anglers World tho.
Perhaps when his business partner passed away??.
Yes, the 3 on the left are an exact match. I first bought some maybe 12:years ago when I retired and re started fishing. Took me 10 years off and on to find the right way for me to use them. I made some of my own too buying premier sliders, fitting the frixon in the bulb. They work fine. But always interested in these things. I am an old mexborough lad but never fished there. The Don was so polluted , steam from the chemicals was common , 60 + years ago. I hear now, salmon in Sheffield? Brilliant transformation. Alec