Pole fishing paste for the first time

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
I am planning to fish paste on the pole this year for the first time.
I am a bit nervous because ive never used this method.
Any tips and advice would be appreciated

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I love fishing paste. On some fisheries, on some days it’s a superb method.
It’s quite a different method and there are lots of useful nuances.
Do you have any more specific questions?
If not there are several good videos on YouTube which will give you a good idea of how to go.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
I love fishing paste. On some fisheries, on some days it’s a superb method.
It’s quite a different method and there are lots of useful nuances.
Do you have any more specific questions?
If not there are several good videos on YouTube which will give you a good idea of how to go.
Ive made up two Preston Paste rigs one for top kit plus 2 sections and one for down the margins.I was not sure of the shooting patterns

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
There are several different schools of thought on shotting paste rigs.
Many don’t shot at all.
Personally I do use shot. In water over 2 foot deep I shot the float to the base of the bristle, using the weight of the paste to take the float deeper then leaning the float so that a little bristle is showing.
I have 2/3 of the shot weight above half depth with 1/3 below. The paste is put into the swim from a large paste pot, this shotting pattern helps to avoid tangles.
In shallow margins I use a Korum blob (the round one) instead of a traditional float, with no shot down. Big fish seem to shy away from a long float in shallow water, in my experience.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
There are several different schools of thought on shotting paste rigs.
Many don’t shot at all.
Personally I do use shot. In water over 2 foot deep I shot the float to the base of the bristle, using the weight of the paste to take the float deeper then leaning the float so that a little bristle is showing.
I have 2/3 of the shot weight above half depth with 1/3 below. The paste is put into the swim from a large paste pot, this shotting pattern helps to avoid tangles.
In shallow margins I use a Korum blob (the round one) instead of a traditional float, with no shot down. Big fish seem to shy away from a long float in shallow water, in my experience.
Great advice thankyou very much and tight lines

Golden Eagle

Reaction score

Attachments

• 8272CB1D-2701-4EB3-894C-E4938E25D323.jpeg
    8272CB1D-2701-4EB3-894C-E4938E25D323.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 134

davebike

Reaction score
My tip remember to pick a target on far bank to air direction also your pot will need to be back from the tip to avoid tangles so you when using a cupping kit must feed back from full length
Also the softer the better in my experience if the bait states on more than a few minutes it was too hard !

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The floats I use are/were made by Preston Innovations, they are self cocking floats,
The distance I fish either down the margins or just in front of me means I dont need a dedicated paste cup to go on topkit.
You can buy paste ready mixed ,swim stim do a few good flavours, Swim stim groundbait also makes a good paste.
I think Ringers do one where you empty contents of bag into a tub, fill the bag with water to a line marked on the bag and pour into tub with paste powder in and mix well.
Dont forget to balance your tackle to the rigs you are using. Another tip is try fishing pellet over paste. That will catch some decent sized fish.