Pole fishing

Colin Ashment

Reaction score
I am new to pole fishing and have just bought a Middy 12.5m Erextion pole.

There is a Middy connector on the end of the elastic, but how do you tie the float rig to it?

I have read magazines & checked th net out but can't find any info.

Hope you guys out there can help out.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Colin,
At the end of the connector is a small sleeve which slips up (towards the pole) and this will reveal a hook. Tie a loop in the end of the line you are using for the rig (pre tied rigs will have one already), put the loop on the hook and slide the sleeve back down to trap the loop on the connector, job done your ready to fish.

Colin Ashment

Reaction score
Thanks for that Rodney.

The kits (2) that came supplied with the pole didn't come with this sleeve you mention, that's where i've been going wrong.

So (thanks to your help) I've used a short length of rubber tube, slide this over the loop, put loop over the hook then slide the rubber tube onto connector. This seems to do the trick.

All the ads in magazines don't show or mention the sleeve either just the 2 parts of the elastic connector?????

R

Rodney Wrestt

Are you sure Colin, sometimes the sleeve can be pushed so far back it jams (at the end where the elastic is tied on). It can be awkward to pull it back over the small lip. You can feel it 'click' when it goes over the lip. If they are definetly missing you can pick the connectors up for about ?1 for a pack with two in it.

Colin Ashment

Reaction score
Thanx all, how stupid am I - don't answer that!

I have a 10-12 elastic on the top that came with the pole. Any suggestions on what elastic to put on my 2 power top three's.

I fish a commercial fishery a lot where the carp are 6 - 10 lb, but there is a pond where there are 15 lb+ carp, I know cos I have caught them to 16.5 lb on rod & line.

I was thinking maybe a 16 on one and a 20 on the other and should I elasticate through 2 or 3 sections for big carp?

Tight lines & thanx again.

tim jones

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to attach my line to the end of a whip???
Thanks

S

Stu Black

Get yourself a copy of Bob Nudds guide to pole fishing, I did when I bought my pole, and it answers all the questions you could think of.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tim,
the way I do it is to put a piece of tubing (about 1" of 0.5mm) onto the tip section and slide it back till it sticks on firmly, I leave this piece on for good.

Then cut a slimmer piece which just fits in the very tip (about 3" - 4") then thread the second piece onto the line of the rig.

Place the loop on the rig over the top of the the first piece of tubing and wind the line around the tip of the whip a few times (down towards the tip) when you get to the end, slide the longer piece up and over the tip, about an inch is enough to trap the line.

Leave a couple of inches of tubing hanging off the end, as it helps keep the rig from tangling around the end whilst in use, like a mini boom.

When finished fishing remove the rig and keep the tubing on the whip, just remember to put the long section on the rig again before setting up next time, that's something I reglarly forget and have to unwind the rig back off and thread it through and start again.

Or you can buy a connector like you would use on a pole and glue it on.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Colin,
were the sleeves there after all then?

For carp I would set up with 14-16 on one of the sections and 18-20 on the other for the larger sized fish you mentioned. This will give you a medium strength section for smaller fish or for winter when they don't fight quite so hard, as well as the extra power section for the out sized fish on the pole.

Yes deffinetly go through three sections, or use a Maver muleto for extra elastic on the bigger fish.

Colin Ashment

Reaction score
Hi Rodney, yes the sleeves were there as you stated they were just jammed, took a bit of pulling to free them.

Taken your advice & put a 16 on one power top through 3 sections, i'll put a 20 on the other at a later date as I gain more confidence in using my pole for larger fish.

Thanks again for the invaluable info. I'm planning to do a bit of carping on Sunday and hopfully christen my pole with a few carp.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Glad they were there Colin, another couple of things I would suggest is getting a free standing roller, it'll make the whole pole fishing experience a lot easier and enjoyable. Especially when just starting out and getting used to shipping the sections back and forth, also don't feel you need to fish the full length of the pole, I don't normally use more than 8 or 9 sections. I keep the rest set up to add when playing the fish though. Oh yeah and use pleeeennnntyyyyy of elastic lubricant, it's better to have too much than not enough, it's another thing that keeps the session smooth.

Good luck on Sunday.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Almost forgot, when playing a carp, don't lift the pole up. Keep it low to the water after striking and play the fish off the elastic (this is when the lubricant is essential) rather than as you would when using a rod, when you would use the curve of the rod to play it. Only lift the pole when the fish is close enough to be brought to the net, it takes a bit of getting used to after being used to a rod and line approach but it's very frustrating loosing fish by bringing them up on the surface too soon as they thrash about and the hook pulls.

W

Wendy Perry

i enjoyed reading all that rodney but what is elastic lubricant and can i have some clean answers plz :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Just because..
. you know I'm nuts ................

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Wend,
the elastic in the top kits of the pole is a shock absorber and the smoother it stretches and retracts the more efficiant the pole is at playing the fish. The lubricant is poured down or sprayed inside the top kit (along the elastic) at the start of every session and it makes the elastic play the fish smoother than a dry length of elastic which tends to stick and jam in the end or judder as the fish fights and this can bump fish off the hook.

The stuff I use is silicone based and puts a slick coating on the elastic which helps protect it from cracking and helps keep it in good condition for longer as well as making it play fish well.

You only need a few drops per top kit so I carry some in a small tube with a pump spray top that I got off my son when he finished the stuff that came in it, it was a liquid candy that the kids were into and the tube is easier to store in the tacklebox than the full bottle of Armorall.

hope this helps.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wend,
take a look HERE to read a thread which discusses pole elastic lubricant and there's a link in it the stuff I use.

W

Wendy Perry

Cheers rodney i'll be getting some of that next week .

fished the match but got a peg where the bank was right behind me didn't have a clue where to ship my pole it was hard work ended up with 3lb 8 oz . But i'll keep practising :)