Pole float for deep water

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hello,
im after recommendations for pole floats for deep water, I have just joined a new water and depending where you fish the depth averages around 10’ - 12’. Also what weight of float, I’m thinking 1g - 3g.

Thanks for looking.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I fish a deep water and use a float of 1g, shotted with an Olivette and droppers. Also set up a ‘shallow’ rig at around half depth with 0.5g float.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
For recommendations there are lots that will do the job, I’ve found the guru floats are decent, pinger wire stem for the deep rig and carbon stem for the shallow.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Thanks “GE”, to Mark, I’m not targeting any species really just after fish and finding my way. There are plenty in this resovior but mainly Silvers, all the big carp and Pike have been netted and moved into the lower reservoir.

Last edited:

Twiddler

Reaction score
As an alternative would a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 14’ be suitable for slider float fishing ?.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yep spot on I’d say, but pole is a much more efficient method unless you need to fish a distance from the bank.

rob48

Reaction score
I fish a gravel pit of similar depth to your reservoir and for long pole fishing I use a Colmic Jolly or similar type float taking 2 or 3 g, depending on strength/direction of wind and tow. As an alternative I sometimes use a 5m telescopic whip to hand with a 4 or 5g bolo type float, again depending on conditions.

rayner

Reaction score
Any chimp style float of 1g plus will be right. Personally, I would certainly fish the slider. Propper fishing, all feeding dependant.

Deejay8

Reaction score
I would go with a Colmic Jolly float, 2 to 4g depending on wind and undertow. When fishing deep water on the pole, depending on the depth, and the distance out, you are fishing, and the length of your top kits, you may have to make up your rigs to top three or top four length.

rayner

Reaction score
When fishing deep water I may need to fish away from the baiting area because the bait can follow the still water drift. All dependant on the wind.
I fish water that is not overly deep, it's no more than nine feet. I can feed in front then find myself catching regularly up to six feet to the side of my feed area.