Pole float silicon

swede

Reaction score
Hi,

I got myself some Guru MW Diamond 0.4g floats. The stem is 0.9mm, amateur question this, but should I get 0.9mm silicon or do you usually go a tad smaller to make it sit tighter? I have to order from England so I thought I might ask the experts first.
Thanks in advance.

Simon

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know the answer having no experience of poles but good quality silicon is good to have in for all manner of floats so a bag of assorted lengths which can be cut to size will come in handy. Have a look at Dave Harrell's website for float rubbers and silicon. Drennan also supply them.

swede

Reaction score
Thanks!

I did actually find some of those Drennans from a swedish site. Though only the size 0.9x1.6 - Large. Maybe those would work?

Richox12

Reaction score
Might depend on how thick the line is. With an 0.9mm stem and 0.9mm silicone if you are using thick line like 0.20mm it might be OK and tight enough. If you're using finer line like 0.10mm it be be a bit slack.

I must admit all my rigs are tied with whatever silicone fits comfortably and I have no idea about the actual diameters. But what I do know is threading the stem into the silicone means the silicone expanding so I must be using stuff which is noticeably smaller than the thickness of the stems on the floats.

rayner

Reaction score
Tighter prevents the float from slipping, I also have a small No9 shot below the float pushed right up to the bottom of the stem. That coupled with back shots above the float to help counter any wind. My bottom back shot is incorporated into the shotting capacity of the float. If the wind gets up the bottom shot goes up away from the float if there is no wind the bottom shot is to dot the float down.
In principle it is easy to accommodate, written down it sounds more than a little pointless.

Last edited:

swede

Reaction score
Thank you all, finally found a box of ranges between 0.1 to 0.8. Hope it will do the job.

swede

Reaction score
I thought I should write this here if anybody else who is quite the behas the same question sometime.

0.8mm silicone would be ideal for a 0.9 stem with 0.16 mono. I used 0.7 now and it works but its a tad too tight.
So if your using line in ~ish the same diameter, 0.1mm less of the stem seems perfect.