Pole floats sizes and shotting

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
20200614_164811.jpg
Capture.JPG

This is a guide to capacity of floats ,
Different brands ,even though same size may need a shot more or less , and don't forget to include the hook in shotting capacity.

nottskev

Reaction score
I rough-shot mine at home and trim up on the bank. I need a touch more showing or a thicker bristle these days, so very unlikely a hook will sink mine! A good guide. It's a good idea to carry some tiny stotz, 12 or 13, and a tool - these are what's needed to trim the bristle to just what you want. Bigger shot tend to jump from too small to too big when you're trying to shot the tip down. There are cobwebs on my pole gear - haven't used it since June.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I always have a set of various size stotz in both seatboxes , also large dispenser of various sized shot , I have both styl pliers and a PI stotter for the stotz, and a Levapiombio for adjusting shot.
Using a shotting tube even with a drop of washing up liquid in it for surface tension is only a rough guide .
The top shotting guide I posted is for PI shot and it works with stotz as well.
At one time I used to put the floats and hooklength on the pole rig and shot up when I got to the venue even if I was fishing or not .

Reaction score
thanks for the info, i cant usually be bothered to trawl the net for information.so much junk and 1/4 truiths. unless its from tom pickering,marks and other brilliant past match men