Popping Up Deadbaits

esox60

Reaction score
When popping up deadbaits does anyone have a preference which way up they are mounted, head up or tail fin up?

If so, do you think it has made a difference to your catch rate?

terry m

Reaction score
I always pop them up tail down simply because if the pike swallows the fish head first as normal then the trebles are best positioned to prevent deep hooking - root of tail and half way up flank. I am not convinced it makes too much difference to the actual catch rate either way.

In actual fact pop ups have performed poorly this season in comparison to previous years. No idea why, but my results show about 12% oftotal pike caught to pop ups.

B

binka

I've never tried pop ups and i'm keen to give it a go on a very underfished local reservoir, as a matter of interest do the takes tend to have any characteristics... are they positive runs or is it like using lamprey where they'll sit and wuff it down almost on the spot?

Also, does it have to be as complicated as all the gear I look at in the tackle shops... poly balls, poly sticks, balsa sticks, things for pushing 'em in etc?

terry m

Reaction score
Binka it is easy.

I use a Fox Leger stem which has a clip for the lead, the other end of the stem is bouyant and it has the run ring for the mainline. |Thread through the main line, fit a buffer bead then the trace which should be about 20 - 24 inches long.

with the first treble in the tail root, I then thread a wired looped pop up ball through the body of the bait (in the mouth and out the flank) so that the pop up sits above the bait and the loop hooks over the treble at the flank of the bait.

Use a decent sized lead and you should in theory always get a positive run, although even with a running rig there are some inexplicable occasions when you get a drop back bite, so make sure your indication system is good. If the method has not been used extensively at you pit, you should be really successful.

esox60

Reaction score
I agree with Terry, Binka!

It really isn't as difficult as you think, admittedly there is loads of different ways of doing it but the secret is to experiment, keep it simple, and stick at it until you find a method that suits you.

As a starter check out this video, it doesn't come much easier than this!

Popping Up Deadbait - YouTube

graham472

Reaction score
Even easier than poly balls/balsa etc try using Pollan as the baitfish fished off the lead/ledger stem.Try to buy them un vac packed as they should have swim bladder intact and float naturaly.

BarryC

Reaction score
So do you guys just pop the bait up the length of the trace or can you adjust the depth in some way.
I would like to pop up just 8 or 10 inches just to make it nice and visible.

terry m

Reaction score
Barry, you can extend the length of the pop up as much as you want, useful especially when there is a thick layer of weed on the bottom.

I generally achieve the extra pop up distance by putting some rotten bottom line between the base of the leger stem and the lead, that way the distance can be set up perfectly.

BarryC

Reaction score
Hi terry
So you are saying you have a length of weak line (rotton bottom) between your lead and the bait leaving the wire trace slack. Is that correct?

terry m

Reaction score
Barry - no not quite.

If you read my poist at the top of this thread I mention the fox leger stem which is about 4" long. The bottom of the stem clips to the lead, the bouyant top of the stem acts as the run ring and stop, so the pop up height is actually the length of the stem (4") plus the length of the trace (eg 20") so that gives you a pop up of 24"'. But if for whatever reason you wanted to pop up higher, then simply introduce the rotten bottom between the bottom of the leger stem and the lead to give you the height that you require.

Hope that helps?

BarryC

Reaction score
I get that OK terry but I am looking for a way to just pop up about 8 or 9 inches.
Anyone ever tried just putting a couple of pop up boilies in the bait body cavity? Might try it tommorrow.

B

binka

I get that OK terry but I am looking for a way to just pop up about 8 or 9 inches.
Anyone ever tried just putting a couple of pop up boilies in the bait body cavity? Might try it tommorrow.

I'm not sure how water pressure would affect it at deeper depths but couldn't you add weight to the trace and test it in the shallows until you have your desired height off the bottom?

tortoise100

Reaction score
No self respecting pike fisherman should ever throw away a wine bottle cork .
Asti or champagne are even better .
Just glue a swivel into the bottom or thread a length of wire or line all the way through and put any old cheap snap swivel on it .
Corks make great sub floats as well .
I have to fish over as much as 4ft of weed at the start of the season so some of my rigs have two asti corks cut up in sections along with long sections of rigid rig tube to stop tangles then the bait is free running over the weed on the main line works best with live baits .
But for your average popped up bait it is about being logical and checking the presentation in the margins to get it right if you use a half bait you can pull the cork into the body cavity if you want but it is not that necessary.
Check out some catfish rigs they work for pike too.
It's easy to make copy ledger stems as well with cork and rig tube.
the beauty of using cork is you don't mind losing it.
i glue paper clips to stones as well for leads in weed .

Last edited: