Possible Britford fish-in

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Well it seems a couple of people are interested in fishing Britford. It is a day ticket water near Salisbury for those that do not know it, renowned for 3lb roach, some good grayling, perch and nice chub, supposed to have barbel and carp too, and some excellent pike ( I had a 3 foot pike take my best ever Grayling of well over 2lbs on the retrieve!!). Crystal clear chalk stream and some lovely glides to trot.

So any of you fancy meeting up there I am happy to organise a Saturday there if you want, I will give the Bailiff a call (probably this weekend) and get some possible dates up .

Possibles are :-
Skippy +1
Rog Hill

Any one else post here or PM me for more info.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I have just spoken to Stuart, the bailiff, and he says that we had best wait for a bit of rain as it is gin clear and low at the moment. So I reckon about a month. Give us all time to obtain a fishing pass from she who must be pacified.

He is more than happy to have a dozen of us there, it will not be exclusive but the fishery can accommodate a lot of anglers. He will meet us in the carpark (I will email maps to all coming nearer the time and can meet any that want earlier and you can follow me there) and we can pay on the day. He will set you up on the swims and is a really top bailiff . I would suggest you have some good mud boots and travel light, this is a water to rove on.

So if it works for everyone I suggest either the last Saturday in November or the second Saturday in December. I think the first Saturday in December will be a Christmas shopping day for us monthly paid people.

So post your preffered day and we will go for it.
Any questions pm me a number and I will call you up and give you any help I can.

Mike

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Last Sat in Nov is only 3 weeks away and straight after The Itchen for me so I'd prefer December. That said Mrs Skippy is a seriously scary woman so I might be lucky to escape intact if I attempt to go fishing on a Saturday in December. I've more chance of getting let out in November but two all day awaydays in a week is pushing my luck.

So I'm firmly on the fence I'm afraid.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Prefer end Nov, but would be happy with Dec also. She that must be obeyed will need to find me first.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Well today's bit of rain, and the rain predicted for the weekend might just get the river up to condition nicely.

So as it seems a bit quiet from you all as to dates, should we say lets go for Saturday 27 November. Meet in the Tesco's in Salisbury for breakfast at 7-30am , and on to the car park at Britford for 8-30. Day tickets are available on the day ( used to be £8 if I remember correctly), and reports are it was quite heavily populated by minnows at last reports, so extra maggots to feed them off might be an idea.

Also is anyone wanting a meal after, I can probably book something if you do, there is a hungry horse pub ( called the Kingfisher) just around the corner.

current interest is :-

attending

myself
Skippy +1
Rog Hill +1
Peter Crabtree
Neil Maidment

possible

Fred Bonney

anymore wanting to come?

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Mike,

Nov 27th fine by us. We like our food nearly as much as our fishing so both up for breakie and a meal afterwards.

Rog

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Nov 27th is good for me and happy to go for some food afterwards as well. Starting at 8:30 means "the" roach swims will probably be unavailable! :eek:

Mithrandir

Reaction score
can do earlier if "the" roach swims are wanted. I am easy ( ask anyone!).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well I dont know "the" roach swims anyway so I'd probably walk straight past them.Long drive for us so if its much earlier we'll see you there.I'm getting too old for 4 am starts.

Follow me... I usually walk straight past them!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I know where they are, just not caught any yet!!

I will probably cop out and go for my favourite chub swim, although i might just see how the glides are on the back stretch.

If you need a good swim, Stuart has promised to put us onto the active swims.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
He says that's fine. But the big roach minnow free swim for 10 on a Saturday is 100 quid.