Progold monofilament

rob48

Reaction score
I didnt know that Pro Gold came as light as 2lb bs but if its Pro Gold (or Sensor) it will probably be more like 3lb bs in reality. :)

Keith
Yes it is. 2.0lb knot strength has an actual B/S of 2.46lb. Excellent stick-float line and only measures 0.11mm dia.

rob48

Reaction score
Yup, your right Keith, but sensor would be low diamter at 2lb and have a great unobrusive colour where as 2lb fools gold would be very high diameter and have a milky, shiny/stand out in water colour that spooks fish.
Best to chop up and bin the fools or burn it really ?.

SLM???
As 3.0lb B/S Sensor has a dia of 0.18mm (according to daiwa) and 3.2lb PG has a claimed dia of 0.146 (measured at 0.13) I'd guess that was quite unlikely.

Keith M

Reaction score
“Tigger” said:
Yup, your right Keith, but sensor would be low diamter at 2lb /.../ where as 2lb fools gold would be very high diameter ?.

As 3.0lb B/S Sensor has a dia of 0.18mm (according to daiwa) and 3.2lb PG has a claimed dia of 0.146 (measured at 0.13) I'd guess that was quite unlikely.

Say no more (y):)

Keith M

Reaction score
I didnt know that Pro Gold came as light as 2lb bs but if its Pro Gold (or Sensor) it will probably be more like 3lb bs in reality. :)

Keith

I repeat; I didnt know that Pro Gold came as light as 2lb bs

It was s63 that said that it did come in 2lb bs and not me :ROFLMAO:

Keith

Last edited:

cacs

Reaction score
I use both Pro Gold and Sensor, but for different uses. I use Pro Gold for my Barbel and Carp fishing, and have done for over well 20 years, and Sensor for feeder fishing for bream.
Pro Gold is far more abrasive resistant than sensor, and have watched it rip through weed when playing a fish under the rod tip. I've played with the Gardner lines, and someone convinced me to try Fox soft Steel once, and I haven't even tried Pro Distance or Pro Tough as Pro Gold is what I have confidence in.
For lines up to 6Ib, I'll use Sensor. It's been reliable, but hasn't done anything to show me it's better than any other line except being good on price.
For my pole rigs I use Stroft, and after trying many various lines, I've returned to good old Bayer for my float fishing.

Pro Gold isn't the best line, but the best line for me for the purpose I use it

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I remember many posts where people were saying that line ratings on spools of line were wrong in diameter and breaking strain and misleading the buyers. Reading this post it would seem that with Progold having the wrong BS on the spool doesn’t matter any more.

Now that most fishing is carried out on mucky commercial waters where fish can’t see where they are going does colour and thickness of line really matter. Anglers are far more worried about this it would appear than the fish. Like I have said before I have used red, black, pink, green and never noticed any difference.
But carry on using what ever suits you and what you have confidence in, that all that counts.

rob48

Reaction score
I remember many posts where people were saying that line ratings on spools of line were wrong in diameter and breaking strain and misleading the buyers. Reading this post it would seem that with Progold having the wrong BS on the spool doesn’t matter any more.

Now that most fishing is carried out on mucky commercial waters where fish can’t see where they are going does colour and thickness of line really matter. Anglers are far more worried about this it would appear than the fish. Like I have said before I have used red, black, pink, green and never noticed any difference.
But carry on using what ever suits you and what you have confidence in, that all that counts.
If you'd seen a Pro-Gold spool you'd know it doesn't have "the wrong BS" on it. It has two breaking strains, an actual tensile strength and a knot strength, the former obviously slightly higher than the latter. All lines that I know of are weaker at knots. The fact that GLT take the trouble to state the difference would be viewed as a positive by most people I'd have thought.

rayner

Reaction score
Where reel lines are concerned does a more visible line spook fish! I'm not sure it does.
For instance, do line bites happen more often with a line that fishes have trouble seeing or do fishes avoid a more obtrusive line without seeing danger giving fewer liners.
Are thicker lines of less consequence to fish than some anglers, do all ones work in a similar fashion and are fishes laughing at some anglers thinking they have an unbeatable line.
For me, the top and bottom is fish aren't that bothered, they certainly aren't clever enough to know what diameter is or even how obtrusive a line is or not.
I'll give them credit for being a little wary but fish have never had the equivalent to a Steven Hawking, they have never had a record in the top ten, they pay no attention to the plight of Humpback whale. Their sole reason for being is to give pleasure to our angler fraternity who when all said and done have nothing better to do. :devilish: :devilish: :ROFLMAO:

mikench

Reaction score
An amazing thread about some fishing line. I go back to my first post to start the thread and repeat my amazement that line considered so good and seemingly with many devotees should be so hard to get hold of.

rob48

Reaction score
Where reel lines are concerned does a more visible line spook fish! I'm not sure it does.
For instance, do line bites happen more often with a line that fishes have trouble seeing or do fishes avoid a more obtrusive line without seeing danger giving fewer liners.
Are thicker lines of less consequence to fish than some anglers, do all ones work in a similar fashion and are fishes laughing at some anglers thinking they have an unbeatable line.
For me, the top and bottom is fish aren't that bothered, they certainly aren't clever enough to know what diameter is or even how obtrusive a line is or not.
I'll give them credit for being a little wary but fish have never had the equivalent to a Steven Hawking, they have never had a record in the top ten, they pay no attention to the plight of Humpback whale. Their sole reason for being is to give pleasure to our angler fraternity who when all said and done have nothing better to do. :devilish: :devilish: :ROFLMAO:
I don't think anyones arguing about consequence, I'm surprised that anyone could view having accurate information as anything but an asset.
The original poster queried availability of a product, I've not seen anybody caliming to possess an "unbeatable line" just expressing a choice or preference.
If you really think the fish aren't bothered or clever enough to be aware of line diameters or obtrusivity try and get on a few canal matches next January or February and see how you get on.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't think anyones arguing about consequence, I'm surprised that anyone could view having accurate information as anything but an asset.
The original poster queried availability of a product, I've not seen anybody caliming to possess an "unbeatable line" just expressing a choice or preference.
If you really think the fish aren't bothered or clever enough to be aware of line diameters or obtrusivity try and get on a few canal matches next January or February and see how you get on.

Think of my post as a little humour, who cares about a spool of rubbish line or the other rubbish line that was mentioned in the thread.
If you take my idiotic post as serious you have more issues than me. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: lighten up sunshine.

rob48

Reaction score
Think of my post as a little humour, who cares about a spool of rubbish line or the other rubbish line that was mentioned in the thread.
If you take my idiotic post as serious you have more issues than me. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: lighten up sunshine.
Apologies. When you say a little humour you're really over-selling yourself.I thought of your post as an attempted intelligent contribution to an interesting debate. I've never been so wide of the mark. Thanks for highlighting my "issues".Sunshine.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I mentioned similar a few posts ago. End up fishing with line like cobwebs, You need that on the llangollen canal outside malls, can see half way across it, and the canal at Todmorden in places.