Pros and Cons of Keepnets?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I was shocked when I first saw the book, in 1970 - something. I can't imagine why the publishers went with this cover picture.
I should imagine that they wanted a colour pic of Kevin in a world championship. The problem was almost all pictures were b&w. The pic dates from 1973; the book came out in 1977. England successfully campaigned to have keepnets in world championships - probably in use by about 1980. When the world champs were held in England in 1966 keepnets were used though the ones supplied were a right hotch-potch.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I should imagine that they wanted a colour pic of Kevin in a world championship. The problem was almost all pictures were b&w. The pic dates from 1973; the book came out in 1977. England successfully campaigned to have keepnets in world championships - probably in use by about 1980. When the world champs were held in England in 1966 keepnets were used though the ones supplied were a right hotch-potch.
Do you know why they used bags ?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Do you know why they used bags ?
All the fish were killed. The rules also stated that fish were counted - each angler had a 'counter' who sat behind them. It was 5 points for a fish and one point per gram so 100 fish weighing a kilo scored 1500 points, one fish for a kilo scored 1005 points, later changed to one point per fish, one per gram and finally just on weight.

Reaction score
My biggest con for keepnets is the drying aspect,when we used cloth style nets they dried pretty quickly,now they are mono style,or whatever they are they hold water for ages,so if its not dry in your garden it would be unsafe to take one fishing the next day(disease wise),I love seeing a good bag of roach,bream,or chub,but return all my fish to the water immediately,many fish dont get weighed,purely because they are nowhere near a pb,so I cant be assed...

rayner

Reaction score
On one of our trips to Ireland, we fished the river Inny, only a small river that we caught just as the roach were moving into the river to spawn. Roach moved up the Inny from the Shannon system, we had the most terrific time catching roach to 2lb. We didn't need to feed much bait, the river was that stuffed with roach. I only took one net back then it was the 70s my total for the day was 94lb a day I'll never forget, the best weight on the day was 117lb 422lb was the total five of us. We did empty our nets when we had our packed lunch that our hotel did for us.
That was around the start of April 74.
All our fish went back in good health apart from the odd fatality.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I dry mine in the garden by laying them out,after rinsing them under them under the outside tap. Dry in a couple of hours. I have found if I can keep them of the ground when lay flat they can dry quicker, other option is part over the fence. Also use a waterproof net bag big enough for 4 nets and some landing net heads, this gets washed out when get home ,

rayner

Reaction score
I dry mine in the garden by laying them out,after rinsing them under them under the outside tap. Dry in a couple of hours. I have found if I can keep them of the ground when lay flat they can dry quicker, other option is part over the fence. Also use a waterproof net bag big enough for 4 nets and some landing net heads, this gets washed out when get home ,

Garden drying nets is best by far in direct sunlight if possible. If nets can't be dried effectively then use spare nets for safety if you fish carp waters.
For some reason, commercial waters or their stocks are easy to infect. In truth, the waters I've fished lately are susceptible to wet net disease, I know there's a name but for the moment it escapes me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I only use them for matches on commys or if I have taken grandkids where I can use a net.
Some commercials fishing supply their own keepnets, I fished Holgan Farm that Ian Heaps owns, he supplied landing nets.

silvers

Reaction score
I have used one once and in fairness they are not allowed on all my waters and in truth I have never seen one in use. I read an article a few weeks ago in AT about a match in Ireland on the Sillees river amounting to 259lb of roach.

I cannot believe these fish benefitted from the experience.

93a94be174725b634fc8489279638181.jpg

I cannot believe that volume and quantity of fish.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I drew next to Pete on the last national that I fished (back in the 90s on the Ely Ouse).
I read an account in a ****ie Carr book where Pete said they all swam away strongly after weighing.

personally ... I very rarely use one for pleasure fishing ... but I do notice that dace and Roach swims tend to die pretty quickly when I’m doing this on a small river .... so I move on to another peg.
If I do use one when not in a match, I tend to just put the mouth underwater at the end and empty them out ... rather than lift out for a look and weight.