Puller kits.

rayner

Reaction score
Have you seen the new Vespe puller kit? It fits in minutes with no additional carbon wrap.
A brilliant bit of plastic for anyone who needs a side puller.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Have you seen the new Vespe puller kit? It fits in minutes with no additional carbon wrap.
A brilliant bit of plastic for anyone who needs a side puller.
Yes saw it on a video on YouTube last night, looks spot on, great idea.

rayner

Reaction score
They are a great idea, only eight n half quid. A roller puller alone is nearly eight quid, that's if your kit already wrapped.

Reaction score
I have no idea how you fit a puller kit,as i've never used one,obviously seen them in use,but have always wondered how they don't weaken the overall strength of the section....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The section is strengthened with layer of carbon to overwrap it,
I dont think I would drill a 10mm hole in it for the PI roller puller, but they seem to sell a lot of the topkits ready done and the pullers themselves, also most of their poles are fitted with them.
As for the vespe I thought the section would have been wrapped.

rayner

Reaction score
There are quite a lot of anglers that use side pullers with no trouble, they're plenty strong enough with a small wrap of carbon if your pole doesn't already have a reinforced piece to fit a puller.
Just the small task of wrapping carbon yourself would cost around twenty five quid for a kit to do the wrapping, I don't know how much a tackle shop would charge?
If an angler needs to fit a side puller rather than the old bottom puller the Vespe kit is a cheap version of a puller.
I'm not advocating anglers should fit one to their pole, I just thought it was a good idea for chaps who thought the expense of strengthening their pole was too much.
PS I thought the Vespe side puller only had a 6mm hole, the section isn't wrapped as such it as a small sleeve incorporated with the bush.
I thought it a good idea, perhaps not :unsure:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I use the bottom puller kits are side puller better or just a latest must have?
I’ve changed all my kits to side pullers so I think that gives you my opinion.

It’s not essential and won’t revolutionise your fishing but is a bit more comfortable/smooth.

rayner

Reaction score
Side pullers for me are a must, I can't use a bottom puller to save my life. In any case whilst bottom pullers still work side pullers are just the natural progression that tackle follows.
If bottom pullers were indeed better tackle producers would not bother reinforcing top kits to accommodate the side puller.
We all have our different ideas, it wouldn't be better for us all if we all followed the same path. I enjoy being alone :devilish:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If I were to do them now I’d get a Vespe kit and try it out for a couple of weeks.

Much less hassle that wrapping your kits, though that said I enjoyed wrapping mine and fitted 9 with no problems a couple of years back.

rayner

Reaction score
I had an old MAP pole that I gave away to the young lad next door, I couldn't justify getting the top kits wrapped I used some very old Sensas pole No4s cut a couple of two inch sections from them to strengthen the MAP top kits for side pullers.
A similar way to how the Vespe kits work.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use the bottom puller kits are side puller better or just a latest must have?
I had 4 poles, 2 had bottom pullers on the sections, the other 2 factory fitted side pullers, The Daiwa is the interlastic system with 2 holes the other is a Matrix with small roller puller
On the bottom pullers I cut the stem so it was only 2" was sticking out of the section.
I did this because I found before I cut it the longer length was putting a lot of pressure on edge of section.I sold both poles that had the bottom pullers a few months ago, a Garbolino Gmax 800 and a Middy Xz65-2
As for which is best, ?
My personal preference is side pullers, because I have had a few large fish (carp to mid doubles and a 20lb) on side pullers and I felt I was stripping elastic forever.
Had similar on side pullers and found I had more control. In fact 75% of the time I never bother using side puller, just let the fish play out on the elastic.
With both systems you have to be aware not to exert to much pressure, the harder you pull,the harder the fish will fight back.

Reaction score
I googled Vespe side pullers and thought it stated that you still need to put carbon wraps on them,cant be arsed with that so will just take my time playing fish in...I have all day...

rayner

Reaction score
The new Vespe side puller includes a wrap. The old Vespe side puller doesn't and needs a carbon wrap doing before the side bush is fitted.
Rikki Richards fitted took a few minutes in the youtube vid with no more than a small drill bit.

Reaction score
I am if they are no problem to put on,if it a lot of faffing around,then no i'm not,been on site and looks good,if my kits are 15-18mm dia...

Reaction score
Will do,I measured my kits and they are the right size for this bit of kit...