Puller kits.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Slik can really stretch, if a fish makes a run, ask someone on far side to net it for you,
I wouldnt use it for margin or snag work, same with Nu Fish.
For snags and some margins I would say solid is better . I will use hollow 17h if there is a mudline or not much foliage on far side, or if end peg against the tins on a commercial.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I've fitted the other kit on another top two,re-elasticated both kits,got puller beads,easy peasy,got a 12-14 on one and an 18-20 on the other,matrix slix....
I have just removed 18 - 20 Drennan bungee from topkit, I found I was pulling out of too many fish at side of lilys , replaced it with 16 middy solid,

Reaction score
Slix is solid,we will see...not fishing for carp and if a fish runs,I will use the puller to give it some...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Slix is solid,we will see...not fishing for carp and if a fish runs,I will use the puller to give it some...
If a fish runs, let it run.

Think of playing a fish with a side puller as with a rod. You want to be gaining elastic as the fish is coming toward you, not while it is running.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Matrix Slik ,? That's a hybrid, Hybrids are solid but have a stretch similar to hollow, but without flattening out or air bubble inside
Did you pre stretch the elastic before you fitted it, ?
If I hit anything decent in open water I let run, side pullers are used as and when, sometimes I forget I have them fitted.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
One thing I’ve learnt, using slik and other (NG) hybrid elastics is to keep them lubricated.
What do you use to lubricate them when fishing, ?
I have tried putting topkit in the water and pulling elastic, not really impressed, so I have a small spray bottle with 50/50 hair conditioner and water, works a treat, plus keeps hair shiny after 5 hour match ?

mikench

Reaction score
It all sounds terribly complicated to me. Fishing is supposed to be simple and relaxing not surrounded by dozens of poles, rollers and lawd knows what else. :rolleyes: ;)

rayner

Reaction score
Slik can really stretch, if a fish makes a run, ask someone on far side to net it for you,
I wouldnt use it for margin or snag work, same with Nu Fish.
For snags and some margins I would say solid is better . I will use hollow 17h if there is a mudline or not much foliage on far side, or if end peg against the tins on a commercial.

I only use light lines even for margin swims for carp, 10 to 12 is soft like you say, I prefer that. I try to get the fish out of the swim before it kicks off too much. I will only use a 0.14 hooklength with 14s hook, mind you fish are mostly 2 to 5lb occasionally a bit bigger.
In open water I go for a 6 to 8 with a 0.10 or 0.12 hooklengths. It's rare I fish any heavier than that. Of course, there are no snags where I fish that would make a difference.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have had to rethink margin set up down here, they average 10lb to 15lb and most margins on one side of the water have lily pads or rushes in them. So its hit n hold , I am using 14 hooks to 7lbs hooklengths. I found red Drennan Bungee to powerful, the pink isn't too bad, changed the red for 16 solid elastic, will keep with the pink for now.
On the commercials in northwest most average 3lbs to 8lbs, so can get away with lighter elastic and line. On one commercial I can get away with double number six.
Basically its horses for courses where elastic is concerned.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It all sounds terribly complicated to me. Fishing is supposed to be simple and relaxing not surrounded by dozens of poles, rollers and lawd knows what else. :rolleyes: ;)
It is simple, you wouldnt use 22 hooks and 1lbs hooklengths with your float rod when targeting tench or chub, you would use appropriate tackle.
It's the same when pole or whip fishing, no use using light lines and number3 elastic when fishing for big fish.
Rollers are the equivalent too rod rests, it's just that they are behind you and not in front and at the side of you.

rayner

Reaction score

I don't feel fishing is relaxing, in fact, it's far from relaxing for me, simple is always best if kept simple I do my best to achieve simplicity. Some folk do have trouble keeping things simple, a pole is only another rod. Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
What do you use to lubricate them when fishing, ?
I have tried putting topkit in the water and pulling elastic, not really impressed, so I have a small spray bottle with 50/50 hair conditioner and water, works a treat, plus keeps hair shiny after 5 hour match ?
I also use the water/conditioner trick but in a much weaker solution, around 1 part conditioner to 5 parts water.
I don’t have enough hair to worry about it!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If you line up a pole set up and a running line set up, the most complex piece of kit is the reel!
There is a school of thought that says pole fishing is the original and most basic form of fishing.
That said, who cares? Pole fishing is often the best method to catch fish.
Personally I love fishing both pole and rod and reel, with rod and reel just edging it. Looking forward to a pleasure session on the pellet waggler tomorrow!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I don't feel fishing is relaxing, in fact, it's far from relaxing for me, simple is always best if kept simple I do my best to achieve simplicity. Some folk do have trouble keeping things simple, a pole is only another rod. Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you like.
I both agree and disagree!

Agree that in most circumstances I fish busy styles and want to be active. Tomorrow, on rod and reel, I will be fishing pellet waggler. This consists of feed, cast, feed, twitch, feed retrieve, repeat, with hopefully a bit of fish playing thrown in. It is a physically demanding method and great fun.

Disagree, in that by fishing and concentrating I can become absorbed in the pursuit and be thinking of nothing else other than what I am doing. The trendy term for this is ‘mindfulness’ and it is a very relaxing state of mind. After a few hours of fishing in this way I feel calm and refreshed, while bloody knackered at the same time. Fishing is good for the soul.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I both agree and disagree!

Agree that in most circumstances I fish busy styles and want to be active. Tomorrow, on rod and reel, I will be fishing pellet waggler. This consists of feed, cast, feed, twitch, feed retrieve, repeat, with hopefully a bit of fish playing thrown in. It is a physically demanding method and great fun.

Disagree, in that by fishing and concentrating I can become absorbed in the pursuit and be thinking of nothing else other than what I am doing. The trendy term for this is ‘mindfulness’ and it is a very relaxing state of mind. After a few hours of fishing in this way I feel calm and refreshed, while bloody knackered at the same time. Fishing is good for the soul.
I was on the pellet waggler last week,
The fish decided not to play, had a few tentative knocks on the float, changed depth a number of times, the minimum depth I can fish is 18" .
Pa led it in, lot of effort and bait for no results,
Went on the feeder ,similar distance,same baits, had a few carp , also a few on the margin pole.
When the weather picks up it will be both pellet and bagging waggler set ups.
Brilliant method on its day, I also like the wag n mag method.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
As ever the fish dictate, if they are not having it there is little you can do.

I tend to start on a feeder, while building the swim. It’s not a method to approach half hearted, I see a lot of people have a quick go then abandon it. I’m looking at constant feeding for an hour before actually fishing it, as you say costly in terms of bait and effort if it’s not going to happen, however immense fishing if they switch on.

Big carp that are wary of other methods and hang away from the bank, out of pole range, are the target fish.

I’m assuming the 18 inch thing is a fishery rule? I’m not bound by that but have been playing with a longer tail and wafters lately, this could be a solution. A lighter float and striking at bites is required in this case. Getting closer to a regular waggler approach and less of a pellet waggler approach I suppose? The general trend is in that direction.

I’ve never tried the bagging waggler do you recommend it?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
As ever the fish dictate, if they are not having it there is little you can do.

I tend to start on a feeder, while building the swim. It’s not a method to approach half hearted, I see a lot of people have a quick go then abandon it. I’m looking at constant feeding for an hour before actually fishing it, as you say costly in terms of bait and effort if it’s not going to happen, however immense fishing if they switch on.

Big carp that are wary of other methods and hang away from the bank, out of pole range, are the target fish.

I’m assuming the 18 inch thing is a fishery rule? I’m not bound by that but have been playing with a longer tail and wafters lately, this could be a solution. A lighter float and striking at bites is required in this case. Getting closer to a regular waggler approach and less of a pellet waggler approach I suppose? The general trend is in that direction.

I’ve never tried the bagging waggler do you recommend it?
18" is club rule in this club.
I have had some success on bagging waggler up north, one method I used with it was packing the feeder part with liquidized bread and fishing slow sinking bread or piece of crust with it.
Or softened pellets and banded or quickstop pellet on hook.
Again it's a method for changing depths as required, I used a bead with quick change adaptor and had spare hooklengths on side tray ready to use. I attach mine in a loop of line around 12" with buffer bead either side of float adaptor I use a snap link swivel ,then thread loop into and over hooklength adaptor,saves tying a knot, add chosen hooklength and ready to go. Rod size depends on size of float being used .
As for pellet waggler on the water I have been using it's more or less instant when they are having it, one bloke last week had around 200lb out, he fished a 14g float at around 45 yards ,dropping short of island around 50 yards, fished a 10mm boilie and fed over 5kg of boilies during his session.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Fishing is complicated Mike,it is the way I do it anyway...???