Quest Baits announce Chubby Chops

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When I saw that thread title I thought Wol was up for sale :p

These Quest people certainly come up with some innovative baits don't they and I know for a fact that a lot of match anglers prefer their gear to other makers which says to me it is good stuff, they are very picky about whats good and bad.

These certainly look the business but the one drawback they might have for chub fishing is they have to be hair rigged, not my first choice for catching wily old chub.

Cakey

Reaction score
he is like michelin man now ha ha ha
michelin-man.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

just got a facebook message "you and whatmore are dead"

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
These certainly look the business but the one drawback they might have for chub fishing is they have to be hair rigged, not my first choice for catching wily old chub.

Not mine either Graham.

I will give them a 'looking at' the next time I'm in the tackle shop, but unless they can be side hooked (i.e. soft enough) then I'll leave them on the shelf.

Quest do make some very good baits though.

PS: I think you are both being perfectly horrid to our Wol, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if you've actually hurt his feelings now - you beastly boys you.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you're saying about my mate Wol. Do you mean he's a fat tit now, or is just round and rubbery?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
they have to be hair rigged, not my first choice for catching wily old chub.
unless they can be side hooked (i.e. soft enough) then I'll leave them on the shelf.
I understand what you're both saying and I have that same problem with chub a lot of the time, but in their defence, and I have yet to see them, you could always band them directly to the bottom or side of the hook.

My best ever chub was caught on a hair rigged pellet. There's always one to break the rule.

Reaction score
From the shape, they look like they are perfect for a two band approach - one band held in place by the whipping and one band on the bend/bottom of shank.

I think someone (Graham or John Conway???) illustrated this in the rigs pages once.

I'll have a look...

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Here's The Banded Pellet Rig

and

Hacket's Sliding Hair Rig

Cakey

Reaction score
woody is a fat rubbery tit too............................

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Back on subject!

I've just tried the Barbel Chops and I'm not sure about them.....

The problem is that they soften up after an hour and chub bite them off the hair. You get a quick pull round of the tip and wind back in to find no bait. As the Chubby Chops are identical except for flavour and colour it doesn't bode well!

They are too hard to side hook, but they will band on to a largish hook.

I've always been a fan of Quest boilies, but I can't really see the point of these - maybe southern jessies fish differently than we do up here? :confused:

Nathan

Reaction score
If you soaked them in their respective glugs would that not harden them? Or could you leave one or two on the side to dry out before your trip?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I once made some cheesepaste boilies with the help of Frothey's advice and though they collapsed into an irregular flattish pancake shape in the boiling water they were easily hookable and stayed on the hook. The chub and barbel loved them too but silly me forgot how I did it so I havn't been able to make any more. Perhaps I will email Quest baits with a suggestion about producing a hookable version of this chubby chops one.

Frothey

Reaction score
If you soaked them in their respective glugs would that not harden them? Or could you leave one or two on the side to dry out before your trip?

it's the other way around - some anglers want them hookable so you want them softer. you could leave them in water to soften them up a bit, but you'll lose some of the attractor.

if you noticed though, they do a matching paste, you could just roll some of this and "skin" it for soft hookable "pellets".....

tjl21

Reaction score
"I've just tried the Barbel Chops and I'm not sure about them.....

The problem is that they soften up after an hour and chub bite them off the hair. You get a quick pull round of the tip and wind back in to find no bait. As the Chubby Chops are identical except for flavour and colour it doesn't bode well!"

Try banding them tight to the shank of say a size 12 Korum S3 (so there is no gap) and then wrapping them in matching paste. This method as produced a lot of double figure barbel for me and quite a few nice chub over the last few seasons.

Cakey

Reaction score
being a southern jessie Id rip the tights of my wife and net em................:wh

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

by the way Id just like to point out that Frothey taught me how to do it on his wife :)

Cakey

Reaction score
yes and yes

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

cant find no links today ........any one know where Frotheys link is to his wifes red tights ?