Questions questions questions.......

mujician

Reaction score
Hi,
I would still call myself a beginner, despite having been fishing a few times since last summer. I currently own a feeder rod. I didn't have much luck today. My set up was a running ledger, with a hook link of albs, with maggots on the hook. Is maggot a good hook bait for being on the bottom? I re-cast every now and then so I could check if they were still wriggling, and they were. I only had two bites, despite feeding my swim regularly with pellets and maggots. There was a match taking place on the other side of the lake I was on and I'm optimistically putting it down to the fact they had groundbaited heavily so all the fish had gone to sniff out the food! Any suggestions on a good ledger/feeder set uo would be great. I do intend on using a feeder cage next time.
Is sweet corn a better option for fishing on the bottom?

I'm never sure what strength of line to use - how do I know which I should choose? I would like to catch bigger fish, tench, carp, bream, chub, rather than smaller things like roach and perch etc.

All advice welcome, thanks.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The fish my have not been on the bottom , in warmer weather they can be mid water

As to line strength , 6lb main 4lb hook link will be ok for carp , tench ect

What size hook did you use, for a single maggot a size 20 is about right

mujician

Reaction score
Was a size 20 with 3 maggots. Should I have some kind of pop up then? One live maggot and a couple if buoyant ones? To lift the bait up?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
yes using a plastic maggot might have helped but I would suggest you might have been better setting up a float rod and plumb the depth then come up a foot at a time until you found the depth the fish were at

mujician

Reaction score
Yes, you can suggest that!, but I didn't have a float rod to hand as I sold mine the other day. I wanted to try ledgering though, as I have a quiver tip rod. So when should I be using a quiver tip to fish from the bottom? Or could you advise me on how to better target bottom dwelling fish? I am aware that in warmer weather they come closer to the surface, but if the attraction is there (sight/smell) surely the fish will come?

The Sogster

Reaction score
The simplest rig you can use is to slide the feeder on the mainline, follow it with a rubber bead (or two) and then tie on a swivel. Tie your hooklength to the other end of the swivel.

The weight of the feeder will push on the beads helping to eliminate tangles.
Start with a hooklength of around 12 to 18 inches. You can shorten or lengthen this as necessary.

I would also say 3 maggots on a size 20 hook is too many.

The important bit with feeder fishing is to ensure that you recast to the same spot each time, there is no point spreading the bait (and fish) around the swim.

Next time there is a match on perhaps it may be worth taking 10 minutes to quietly observe an angler using the tip rod.

mujician

Reaction score
I've been spending far too much money recently. I still have two new reels to buy and I'm going to buy a camping hammock which is about £160. Oh, and the small matter of a wedding!!! I'll get the book after I get married :)