Rain...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just clocked the bbc weather on google and according to them from tomorrow we have six days of solid 24/7 rain.
I'm pretty sure I won't be going fishing if the forecast is correct!

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's not quite that much rain forecast for my neck of the woods. However, when it's not going to be raining, it's going to be windy. If I get out, it's going to depend on the wind and the river level. It's the reason I got off my backside to go this afternoon and the reason why I've not bothered to get some fresh maggots. The half pint or so I have will be enough for the short snatched sessions that are likely this week.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I hope not, I am driving to warrington tomorrow to do a bit of fishing, Its sheltered where I am fishing but that's mainly from the wind. Taking 1 rod and reel and bag of bits and chair,

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looking out of the window it is sheeting it now and this is set on and off all week as far as I can make out, so little fishing probably for me unless there is a sizable break in it. I expect the river is going to be flooding really high though so might not be easy if I do go.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope not, I am driving to warrington tomorrow to do a bit of fishing, Its sheltered where I am fishing but that's mainly from the wind. Taking 1 rod and reel and bag of bits and chair,

are you legally allowed to travel to a tier 3 area and fish?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that government "advice" is NIT to travel from tier 1 or 2 areas to any area in tier 3:

Taken from this article:

"However, this is advice rather than a legally binding ban, and there are some exceptions, such as if you are entering a tier 3 area “for things like work, education or youth services, to meet caring responsibilities or if you are travelling through as part of a longer journey”.

Personally I'd find it difficult to justify traveling to a tier 3 area just to go fishing . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I read the rules (for England) this is only allowable if for, Work, essential travel (shopping or medical supplies) to provide day care as a carer or in emergencies.

Ok, I was just curious, as I wouldn't have thought it would have made much difference if both areas were in the same tier.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I was just curious, as I wouldn't have thought it would have made much difference if both areas were in the same tier.

Me neither, but the kicker is in the "essential travel" part I guess . . . . the trouble with these "rules" is that they are often issued 'on the run' so to speak and without much peer review so there are inevitably loopholes . . .

steve2

Reaction score
Surely the safest way is to stay within your own area. Does anyone really need to drive half way across the country just to catch a fish.

We have a ridiculous situation in Essex where the 2 of the most infected area is in the bottom tier because they are unitary authorities and don’t come under the control of Essex County Council. This means that Lakeside shopping centre can open and the people can still flock in. While areas with a far lower infection rate are in lockdown.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
are you legally allowed to travel to a tier 3 area and fish?
Where I am going is Higher Whitley, 500 yards from Warrington "border" it's in tier 2 .so do not hit tier3 .
Seeing grandkids first, I am in their support bubble,
On way back via Wilmslow I am dropping a bag off at @mikench place,
All legal and above board.
It's only advice about tier 3 travel, not law

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I felt safer on my own driving to see grandkids ,( didnt manage to get fishing, got soaked putting fresh flowers on my parents grave) and dropping carryall off for @mikench than I would have felt mingling with students and others who do not social distance around Oxford town centre. And if gone fishing i would have been on my own around the pool.
Chances of catching CV19 by going to see grandkids .....Nil
Chances if gone to Oxford town 50/50 .

mikench

Reaction score
It threw it down about an hour after you left Mark and I thought no brolly would protect you from that deluge .