Rare floats I would like to own.....

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Thanks Peter, so no taper then, or not to speak of? What is it that is 'reversed' about them?

That is extraordinaryly thin peacock quill at 3mm.

not that extraordinarily thin ,if you use the top section of the quill (the bit with the 'eye' motif ) as the base of the float

the peacock quill has three distinct sections ;

the bottom section:
is only the last 4" or so that slots into the birds body ,this usually has a set or kink in it ,and often used as a float tip and ends where the quill straitens up too form the mid section

the mid section:
is the straitest part of the quill ,some 12" -18" or so of uniform thickness quill with a long drawn out taper with 1,2mm difference between start of section and the end.

the end section:
this starts roughly where the quill starts too bend under its own weight if held upright and extends too the very tip ,it has a long drawn out taper ,thinning down quickly over 12 to 18"+ with a 2-5mm difference between ends .

i'd think a reversed peacock would start in the tip section and extend down into the mid section .there would be only a small area of the quill thats (about 2") that has a dia of 3mm or thereabouts ,above this area the quill might be too brittle for this application .

finding the correct (base) diameter for the float is the starting point ,then by carefully selection of feathers / quill's will give you a range of quill with slightly greater gradients too the tapers .

the weight carrying capacity would be determined by length the more you extend into the mid section ,the thicker the quill gets ,until uniform thickness is achieved ,then its a matter of length = capacity and with a range of tapers you should get a close set of floats of near equal length but varied shotting capacities

a simple method starting with a full length striped peacock quill ,find the 3mm area and trim off the rest of the tip section (or leave a stub of 2-3" below the 3mm area,to later form a quill eye if desired ) then do a tank test ,to determine final cut of float per given shotting weight . find the water lever per given weight (and mark position) then mark 1" - 1½" above this to form the tip & cut ,retest it at the shortened length too double check ,then rub the area with grit paper too form a domed top but keeping the thickness as best you can ,then paint the tip ,the stem can be left as is or painted .

you can either whip a bit of wire too the 3mm end or mark the quill here and leave 1" - 1½" below this point too form a quill eye .every quill has a hard edge and a soft edge (normally with the hurl perpendicular too these)
make a cut a ¼" in at a 40* angle towards the hard edge then along behind the hard edge .too form a sliver that you bend back too meet the stem near the 40* cut then trim to ¼" overlap and whip ,the size of the eye is upto you but ¼" is a good size . then you'll end up with a set of floats that step down in size with a corresponding drop in shotting capacity.

i hope this helps

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
...and I thought float making was easy!!

I think I'll have have an early night with a cup of cocoa to digest Chavender's post....its probably not that difficult but at my age anymore then two paragraphs and I get confused..

In fact I've posted again because the above surely needs comments from the top float making men who've already posted on this subject.....plus the fact that this is probably the best subject on FM(IMO)at present!!

George387

Reaction score
I havent seen the float in question but Ive just came across a piece of peacock quill which is 3mm one side & 4mm the other so lets see what I can knock up in a few days will keep you posted.

matt1960

Reaction score
What excellent information chavender, and I am itching to get hold of some quill to try.
Its good to see you are also ambidextrous with regard to inches and millimeteres, and not caught in a time warp.:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
George387....if you do this will we see some pics showing what you started with and finished with(please!)

As an aside,can anyone help with the supply of peacock quills-not having too much luck sourcing them...
Thanks

George387

Reaction score
I havent seen the float in question but Ive just came across a piece of peacock quill which is 3mm one side & 4mm the other so lets see what I can knock up in a few days will keep you posted.
Cancel above I snapped it by mistake whilst working on it, am all fingers & thumbs currently due to ill health :(

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
There's some on at the moment........

peacock quills items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods items on eBay UK!

I don't know of anywhere else you can find it these days.

Has anyone come up with what this reversed waggler looks like yet?

I have found that the excellent Drake floats do a insert bodied waggler where the insert is thin peacock quill into a stem of larger. The insert is indeed about 3mm.

I'm not recommending this site...never heard of them, but they have some pictures ( click to enlarge) of the Drake floats in question......

Bundle of 15 Brand new Hand Made Drake Floats

Very hard to find, no website, no list of stockers, but worth seeking out.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think I must have bought the last ever reversed taper waggler , I found it in Frames of Hendon in north London 3 years ago, along with the Dave Harrel peacocks, funnily enough I should be fishing with Mr Frame tomorrow and I will ask him if he has any more tucked away.
meanwhile thanks for the offers and suggestions so far........

A

alan whittington

Peter,the only Drennan reversed peacock wagglers ive ever seen came in packs of seven and when i heard from a local tackle dealer that they were to be discontinued i went on the hunt and bought six or seven packs,which are now down to two,i repair any float which chips,to prolong its life,these are my prefered stillwater float from the 2bb,right up to the largest and i was gutted when they disappeared from Drennan's range.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Peter Crabtree-surely that cannot be Derek Frame....he was(it seemed to me)very old when I used to visit the shop as a teenager.......must be his son!

....still have the centrepins and 14' spanish reed rod(with twin tapered top joint in split cane)...taked me back does that!!

Thanks for the info on the peacock suppliers....appreciated!

CAN SOMEONE PUT A PICTURE OF THE REVERSED FLOAT ON THIS THREAD-I'M DYING OF CURIOSITY!!!

Thank you....

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Crucian...yes it was a Featherlite and a great rod it was too(in its day)!Spent hours long trotting with it in club matches-how I don't know because light it wasn't!!

Merv,yes I am(??)........

ITS GONE VERY QUIET ON THIS REVERSED FLOAT THINGY.......does it exist(I ask myself...)

If something doesn't happen soon I might have to leave as I've no wish to be involved with people that use words like'reversed'and cannot back it up with real pictures.....and as someone famous once said"lets be havin' yer"

A

alan whittington

Tee-Cee,do you want a picture of the drennan float(which i might be able to do with the assistance of she who must be obeyed)or the creation of that long list of instructions by Chavender(which i cant).

Last edited:

matt1960

Reaction score
Trying to upload an image, but I cant seem to do it. Anybody help.
I think I have uploaded it to my gallery, but I cant get it on here.

Matt

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Peter Crabtree-surely that cannot be Derek Frame....he was(it seemed to me)very old when I used to visit the shop as a teenager.......must be his son!

....still have the centrepins and 14' spanish reed rod(with twin tapered top joint in split cane)...taked me back does that!!

Thanks for the info on the peacock suppliers....appreciated!

CAN SOMEONE PUT A PICTURE OF THE REVERSED FLOAT ON THIS THREAD-I'M DYING OF CURIOSITY!!!

Thank you....
Must have been Dereks son , Dave Frame , who I fished against today in the Tring ressie charity open match funnily enough.......Top bloke..........
sort of polished off my weekend , poorish result yesterday on the father and a blank today on the bream match at Tring........
I don't think there are any pics of the aforesaid floats anywhere on-line

someone must have a pic somewhere??

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I've about a dozen whole peacock quills ,but i've cut them in half (well roughly at the end of the mid section/tip section point ) not sure any will be suitable .perhaps just enough for a lightweight version .

but i'll knock something up ,might not be exactly the same (never having seen one ) but close i hope ,i'll do one in the morning

i only had a dozen top sections ,some where quite long though ,so i selected a shorter one
DSCF2437.jpg

I found one which was 3mm at one end ,but its only about 10" ending in 5mm

DSCF2438.jpg

nicely striped of its plumage

DSCF2440.jpg

and a wire eye whiped onto the 3mm end

DSCF2442.jpg

i've yet too tank test it & trim the tip too suite ,then its a case of painting the tip and possibly the body

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
That looks good Chavender, how long is this prototype?
Tee Cee and I. Crucian see what I mean now . Thicker end at the top......
and attatchment (whipped red in the picture) at the thinner end.
I look forward to seeing the finished article Chav..........

Now how about the Drennan pole sticks, a wire stemmed mini stick float for pole fishing in flowing water?

Taxi.......

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So,you reckon Peter that this is the dog's nuts for slow(ish)water with the bait dragging the bottom?

It looks to me about 8" long(?)from chavs pics-maybe shorter......NOT to disagree Peter but is this reversed design going to allow bait dragging to happen or will the float still pull under...doesn't seem to have enough thickness at the whipped end to stop this happening??

I have tried to do the same with swan quills and that worked reasonably well because taper was much greater(the thick end more boyant?)and simply because it was a swan quill(othertypes didn't work)...

I intend to make some anyway as you(and chav!)may well be correct-no doubt all this has been tried and tested(and I could well be talking hor air!)

All comments will be enjoyed anyway...

ps I had the devils own job trying to whip an eye onto the end of the swan quill-even inserting it into the end didn't work too well........plus the fact they are not easy to straighten to any degree...
pps I wonder if it would work where undertow is a problem-some big pits are almost like slow rivers at times..

Last edited: