Ready made float rigs

chrissh

Reaction score
This might be a bit of a stupid question, is it possible to make up waggler floats and put then onto to a winder like pole floats

I use the new Drennan visi wag floats that all take 8 no 8 shot the idea is to make different length up from 2ft to 4ft

The reason for asking is I'm getting feed up trying to put no 8 shot on the line every time I set up my 13ft 3 pieces rod

would the Drennan quick change swivel size 18 be too heavy to attach the rig to the main line?

Have any of you done this and how would you attach the ready made rig to the reel line?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It would be quicker to set up as normal, and adjust the depth as the day progresses, instead of winders set at various depths.
Attach the floats using a waggler attachment, that way you can change the size of the float if needed.
Also doing it this way you would not need a swivel on the mainline which by all intents and purposes apart from affecting how the float would sit in the water, could also get caught in the rod rings as you reel in.
As for shot, try using stotz or similar.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If I use ready made float lengths I tie a loop in the end of the line above the float, I then tie the main line to the loop when I set up. You can make the loop as far from the float as you want so there is room to adjust the float. No need for a swivel, I suppose there is a weak point where the main line joins the loop but I can't remember ever having a problem.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's often done with rigs for stick and waggler. I have a bunch of float rigs on winders made to save carrying tackle on a river stretch that's a bit of a walk. With wagglers being relatively long and vulnerable, put the shotted line with your adapter on the winder, and leave the float off til you're setting up on the bank. Loop to loop is fine, even though some anglers don't like joins above a float. Since it's mainly to save mithering with small shot, you may find you can make up rigs with the shot down the line on, loop to loop this and put your float and locking shot above the join. To join loop to loop, leave the made up line on the winder and make a loop in the mainline large enough to pass the winder through, then unravel it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I tried it once and couldn't get on with it, that's why I prefer to set up as normal. I can more or less do it just as quickly as if I was using a winder, plus I can pick a float for the situation.
The only ready rigs I carry are pole rigs, plus a few lose one's in case I need one making up on the bank.

rayner

Reaction score
All my rigs have to be made up at home. I make up several waggler setups on winders. By forming a big loop on the end of my mainline I find it easy to put a winder rig on my rod. I also add a snap swivel to save carrying a long float on the winder.
The big loop goes through the small loop on the winder, it then goes over the winder, unwrap the winder. It is just a case then of snapping the float through the swivel.
It reads a little tricky when it is not.

bracket

Reaction score
I have done this, for all types of float, in the past. Mostly for pegs I would regularly fish and knew the depth and contours. When using a waggler I would leave 18 inches of line above the float with a small swivel tied on, for connection to the main line. Never had a problem with this as I always backshot a waggler and the swivel acts as that. Also I can increase the depth by upto 6 inches and it will still fish OK. As I have said, when tying up these rig you must have pre knowledge of the depth of the peg you intend to fish. Nowadays I tend to use a halfway house approach. Having set up from scratch, as one normally would, at the end of a session I will slide all the shot up tight to what ever float I have used, then cut the the float and shot off the line and save it like that. I find this advantagous. By keeping the shot attached to the float, I have an immediate indication of float loading for future use. Most times I am able to reuse the majority of shot by transferring it to the reel line next time round. At the worst I will only need to replace a couple of dropper shot and a back shot. Not too difficult, even for me. This will not be everyone's choice, but it works for me. Pete.

chrissh

Reaction score
Im using the new Drennan waggler’s ranging from 1g to 4g loading which are all designed to carry eight No 8 shot, you can inter change them without breaking down and re setting up

what I want to do is make you some different size lengths and with the shot and a float adapter attached and have them on a winder ready to use

I will only be using this for fishing my local ponds where I know the depth and fish the same pegs mostly

mikench

Reaction score
I use the visiwags all the time and usually those between 1 and 2.5g. I find that the weight of a cralusso quick change swivel plus a small dropper shot ( I can't remember the size but bigger than an 8) is sufficient to see the float and without faffing about with fiddly tiddly shot. I'm not equipped for dimples at 30 to 40m. This suits maggots from 1 to 3, corn, meat and pellets to 8mm.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t dream of setting up a rod on the bank. Terrible environment for that task and wasting good fishing time.
Set the rod up at home, using a waggler adapter. Detach the float then fold the rod using rod bands and a carry case.
Set up takes seconds and you can do what you’re there for.
Similarly pole rigs attached to top kits, groundbait, paste, pellets all prepared in advance.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m the same as Golden Eagle; I usually setup my rod from scratch at home in comfort before I go fishing regardless of whether I am float fishing or legering; and if I’m using a waggler then I use a float adapter and remove the float until I arrive at my swim. I carry my ‘banded’ rod inside a protective rod sleeve and I’ve never had any problems doing it my way.

If I’m not familiar with a water and don’t know how I’m going to be fishing until I get there; then I’ll choose my rod(s) and set them up when I’m on the bank when I get to my chosen swim, but 90% of the time I know roughly; and often exactly; were I’m going to be fishing and the fish I’m going to be targeting before I leave home, and I’d rather take my time and setup at home in comfort while Mrs M is making my food and drink. :)

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
The prospect of having a line join above a float is a total anathema to me. Despite acknowledging that it probably won't go away any time soon, I also don't care for the fashion for carrying rods made up. I've long noted the prevalence of rod section breakages amongst those that carry match (float) rods this way. I value my gear too highly to be interested in following suit. I've got an awful lot more time than money. The few minutes it takes to tackle up are neither here nor there. Besides, I quite like that little bit of extra time observing the swim and running line through rings allows me to check it by feel for damage that might have been unnoticed when tackling down on the previous trip.

seth49

Reaction score
I do keep a few float rigs tied up on winders, usually margin rigs for carp so there usually about four ft or so, I use one of the Korum feeder beads which are made of plastic and weigh very little, this is left on the made up rod, and just needs attaching to a loop at the top of the float rig.

Never had a problem with damage to rods carried this way, I fold the rod so the tip is against the cork handle, and use the Korum protectors to secure either end of the rod, and then it goes in my hold all ready to go.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't use an adaptor as such, just a snap swivel. Float stops and swivel are all that sits on my made-up rods, On the winder, I have hook and droppers. My bulk shot is on a short piece of line kept with my float in a float tube. It is just a case of putting bulk shot on after the rig is connected.
For rod safety, my made-up rods are transported in hard case rod bags. I have tried fabric bags for transporting my rods, they are just not safe enough for me.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
A couple of points:-

Certainly with a waggler rig there is no need for a knot above the float. A float adapter with shot below can be positioned at any depth. Loaded floats save time messing with shot on the bank, though a little fine tuning may be needed.

I carry stick float rigs on winders and tie the knot so the float rubbers slide over it, meaning it is below the float in use.

Having rods made up presents no huge increase in risk of damage as far as I can see? Obviously care needs to be taken as they are both valuable but somewhat fragile items, but I don’t think having a line and reel attached massively increases the risk, user error is by far the biggest risk factor.

All my rods are carried in this way, including several Drennan Acolytes, and the only damage has ever come from my own carelessness or manufacturer fault (not acolyte btw).

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Yes, of course you can. Make the waggler rig up and make sure that the join (loop to loop or whatever) is be below the float. You won't have shot going right up to the float (well almost never). And, you will make the rig according to where you will be fishing with regards to depth etc. Set up, join rig to mainline and push up the adaptor above the join. Same as a stick float or Avon, The join will be below the float. I've been doing it for decades.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It would appear that some folks are ignoring the OP asking about storing made up rigs on winders like pole float rigs. Well, if you do store a rig on a winder like a pole rig I'm struggling to understand how you do so without ending up with a join above the float. The only way of avoiding that join would be to just wrap a float/adaptor and rig around a winder whilst still connected to the mainline and store said winder with the rod. That isn't really using a winder as most would for a pole rig.

The option of making a really short rig and then sliding the float above the join seems to rather negate the bulk of any potential time saving that might be made. On top of that, it simply adds another potential weak spot into a set up. Better that it's below the float than above, but I'd prefer to avoid yet another set of knots. Each to their own but it seems to me that, even without my other misgivings, it's getting closer to being a rather pointless exercise.

rob48

Reaction score
I can't get on with making up stick and waggler rigs on winders, and then having to find some where to store them. I thought it might be acceptable for Bolo rigs but I prefer not to choose my float until I've seen the peg and the conditions on the day. Even then I might find that my original choice of float isn't suitable for the swim or to achieve the required presentation, or the conditions may change so much that the float has to change as well.
I seem to remember there's an Alan Scotthorne video on the Drennan site where he makes up a waggler rig at home and then goes fishing at Hoveringham or somewhere with it. Might be worth a look for those that want to learn more.

Reaction score
I will not store running line float gear on winders,or made up rods for say a few sessions,or one night even,I want freshly rigged up gear with minimal knots as Chris says,I know people that do store their rigs,not for me however...