Ready made float rigs

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Forgetting that despite the downsides, some of us are getting a bit doddery with failing eyesight, making up rigs at home without wind, slippery banks, cold hands etc. is a lot easier and /or having a ready made up rod as well.

steve2

Reaction score
Every pole fishermen I know carry all their rigs ready made so why not waggler and stick setups. Every rod I used was setup before and stored ready to use and are still setup ready for use when I finally go again.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Steve I have two ready rod bags that will carry a couple of made up rods, and to be honest if I had known what they were like I would have gone for a different brand.
I just use them to carry the rods with the reels on and make the rods up on the bank. Failing that it's rods in rod bags and reels in bag of bits and again make them up on the bank.
As for pole rigs, yes I have them made up ready for various venues, to many rigs I suppose, that's why I only take what I think I may need now. plus a few carried loose in case I need to make on up on the bank

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My sea rod remains ready set up, lately with a lure, I only have to piece the rod together, saves threading all the line through rings ect. I also have a float rod ready made up, I am very likely to be fishing the same river/canal and for the same species as last time. They sit in my hallway. It is convenient, I don't plan trips much, just grab and go. Ready made rigs, I have a few sea ones but not coarse ones but thinking about this thread I might make up a couple, I think I have a couple of winders somewhere. I have some ready made shotted hook lengths just wound round old wine corks, they work. I don't like the knots but as in most fishing one makes a compromise to what is practical and desirable. I am a bit slapdash in my approach. but I manage, just about.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Every pole fishermen I know carry all their rigs ready made so why not waggler and stick setups. Every rod I used was setup before and stored ready to use and are still setup ready for use when I finally go again.
Because a pole rig is what it is. It will always have a knot in the line above the float. However, the most significant difference is that it isn't connected to a running line at all.

Reaction score
The main difference in pole rigs and running line rigs is the fact you have to knot up to the reel line,whereas you attach your pole rig to your chosen elastic connection,a big and important difference imo... you do what you wish,but I will not do it,I would rather make up the rod the night before and sleeve it up if my eyes werent up to it....

Reaction score
Not for me,shotting changes as per peg,sometimes,bulk shotting is required,nothing is written in stone for my river fishing...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
It would appear that some folks are ignoring the OP asking about storing made up rigs on winders like pole float rigs. Well, if you do store a rig on a winder like a pole rig I'm struggling to understand how you do so without ending up with a join above the float. The only way of avoiding that join would be to just wrap a float/adaptor and rig around a winder whilst still connected to the mainline and store said winder with the rod. That isn't really using a winder as most would for a pole rig.

The option of making a really short rig and then sliding the float above the join seems to rather negate the bulk of any potential time saving that might be made. On top of that, it simply adds another potential weak spot into a set up. Better that it's below the float than above, but I'd prefer to avoid yet another set of knots. Each to their own but it seems to me that, even without my other misgivings, it's getting closer to being a rather pointless exercise.
I think some folk have offered better solutions than the OP suggested, hopefully helping him out with the benefit of their experience?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Steve I have two ready rod bags that will carry a couple of made up rods, and to be honest if I had known what they were like I would have gone for a different brand.
I just use them to carry the rods with the reels on and make the rods up on the bank. Failing that it's rods in rod bags and reels in bag of bits and again make them up on the bank.
As for pole rigs, yes I have them made up ready for various venues, to many rigs I suppose, that's why I only take what I think I may need now. plus a few carried loose in case I need to make on up on the bank
Get some better ready rod bags mate, treat yourself!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Get some better ready rod bags mate, treat yourself!
Nah... These are the monster hardcase 1+1 ready rod bags.
The outer design is good as is the way the pouches for the butts are staggered internally. It's just the soft central divider to cover the reels that seems wrong.
The 2+2 is a better design for holding 2 rods instead of the 1+1

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Each to their own I suppose.
It's mainly because I got fed up of taking two ready made holdalls with rods made up in them, plus main holdall with pole and topkits and spare sections in it.Plus margin pole holdall .
Now I just take one feeder rod and waggler rod that go in main holdall, take less topkits and if I only need 13 metre of pole for a venue, the extra barrels stay at home.and sometimes margin pole stays at home unless venue has the stupid size lumps in it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Not many commercials around Oxford , so I am finding I need my pole less and less, and seatbox and trays ,roosts etc,and space shuttle.
I am seriously thinking of having a clear out, and selling what I don't need/use as much.

Reaction score
If you make a rod up before a session that prejudges any swim you fish,or how you decide to fish it,which is impossible imo and an example of poor angling,I dont say I couldn't prepare twenty rigs on the just in case principle on winders,but that means often these rigs sit in your box deteriorating,another example of poor angling practice imv,I couldn't care less if Alan Scotthorne did it,or the whole England team,for me and my preference of catching decent fish,I want my tackle to be as sound as I can make it....on Tuesday I caught a 9lb 5oz barbel on 4lb line on the stick float,the result was never in doubt,because im happy with my set up....

steve2

Reaction score
If you make a rod up before a session that prejudges any swim you fish,or how you decide to fish it,which is impossible imo and an example of poor angling,I dont say I couldn't prepare twenty rigs on the just in case principle on winders,but that means often these rigs sit in your box deteriorating,another example of poor angling practice imv,I couldn't care less if Alan Scotthorne did it,or the whole England team,for me and my preference of catching decent fish,I want my tackle to be as sound as I can make it....on Tuesday I caught a 9lb 5oz barbel on 4lb line on the stick float,the result was never in doubt,because im happy with my set up....
I took made up rod/rods because it cut down on the amount of tackle I needed to carry. I made those fishing choices based on previous trips then all the bits and pieces would go in the small ruck sack or waistcoat pockets. My style of fishing was very simple compared to others.
I may have missed out on a few fish but that did not matter to me.

Like as been said each to there own. Nice fish by the way.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Another reason I have stopped doing it apart from having to change shot to accommodate different float because of weather conditions ,Is that the week point on any set up is the hook length to mainline loop. Using ready made rigs gives you two week points .
The hook length to mainline and top of rig to mainline.
It is different with feeder rods if using an inline set up. Even so I prefer to set those up on the bank.

silvers

Reaction score
I carry pole Rigs and Top & bottom floats in winders ... but have no hesitation in making up another rig if i haven’t got the float I need on a winder. I make up waggler rigs on the bank ... although I do have two ready made in my canal box to save time.