Ready made float rigs

Reaction score
That is mainly because you carry so many whips,poles,rods etc,lets be honest it has become a joke looking at the amount of top kits the guys set up these days,I watch Graham West on video and he fished a feeder match with six feeder rods on roosts,incredible really...

rayner

Reaction score
I have reduced the amount of gear I take. I limit my tackle mostly for ease. Normally one feeder rod and one bomb rod. Or one pellet waggler One maggot waggler. I have to decide which pond to fish, even which peg at times. it is all governed by the weather on the day. Up to now, I have stuck by my plan not to use a pole until next year.
Terminal tackle goes just in a small plastic tub, fishing from a chair for comfort saves on dragging a box. Age is winning the battle.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I
That is mainly because you carry so many whips,poles,rods etc,lets be honest it has become a joke looking at the amount of top kits the guys set up these days,I watch Graham West on video and he fished a feeder match with six feeder rods on roosts,incredible really...
Have 16 topkits for one of my poles,
I will take 5 with me to suit the venue I would be fishing the match,.
I have seen blokes setting 10 topkits up.

silvers

Reaction score
I’ll confess to setting up 5 top kits + a whip on the cut ... But the reason for stick floats on winders is just that I’m a bit lazy and like a chat with other anglers before setting up ... always a last minute rush!!!
I was going to post that I don’t have 6 feeder reels to match that setup ... but I do actually!! And I’ve definitely got six feeder rods (8 plus 2 lighter bomb rods)

Reaction score
It isnt the fact he has them,its the fact he has them set up for a five hour match,takes nearly as long to set that lot up,lol....

Reaction score
Having that many top kits set up for a match actually means the guys havent got a clue how to fish their venue,sad really...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I

Have 16 topkits for one of my poles,
I will take 5 with me to suit the venue I would be fishing the match,.
I have seen blokes setting 10 topkits up.
2 matches I fished:-

3 hour evening at Yew Tree - 2 margin rigs

Open at Partridge - 2 margin rigs
Mudline rig
Track rig
Mugging rig
5 shallow rigs.

(Used all of them except the mugging rig)

steve2

Reaction score
Thinking about when I match fished I would have at least 4 top kits, 2 margin pole, 2 feeder rods, and a pellet waggler all set up. Bit over kill really on a small snake like commercials. Normally ended up using just one long pole top kit and a margin pole.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
2 matches I fished:-

3 hour evening at Yew Tree - 2 margin rigs

Open at Partridge - 2 margin rigs
Mudline rig
Track rig
Mugging rig
5 shallow rigs.

(Used all of them except the mugging rig)
That was my point about lots of topkits,
Shallow rigs set at say between 9" and 1'
difference, as we know F1 feed at different depths even when caught a few.
I have a few jigga rigs set up , some with " normal" hook others with bait band.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting a couple more shallow kits, about 7 would be ideal, I think?

As for banded v normal I tend to change just the hooklength rather than duplicate the rig.

I haven’t fished the jigga for a couple of years now, I’m preferring ‘regular’ rigs or just shot and line.

I leave rigs on all my topkits and will change them in the lead up to the session.

In my humble opinion, good preparation is a cornerstone of good angling.

Reaction score
Thats the point im making Steve,if a guy knows the water,he knows he cant waste time prepping too many lines,methods,to perform efficiently gambles have to be taken,you cannot possibly cover all bases well,only several poorly...

rayner

Reaction score
Unless I fish up in the water A couple of top kits are all I need when I fish paste. Up in the water I use 5 at set depth every two inches from 8 inch to 18 inch. if fish are deeper I fish a Jigga. Now I fish a venue with no Ide or F1s I rarely fish up unless roach is a viable target. Skimmers are a fish I have been fixed upon of late, They rarely get fished for with matchmen needing carp to win. Pleasure anglers mostly like the fight they get from carp and get a bit of tunnel vision, they only see carp.
I am a different angler now I can pick my peg, I enjoy my fishing much more now.
My only issue is that all my local information from fellow anglers is gone or is virtually non-existant.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thats the point im making Steve,if a guy knows the water,he knows he cant waste time prepping too many lines,methods,to perform efficiently gambles have to be taken,you cannot possibly cover all bases well,only several poorly...
You’re right.

However, the preparation simply gives you options, you don’t have to use them all. In a match situation you’ll know the venue beforehand but not the peg. So you’ve got a good idea of what you’ll face but not exactly what it is.

Also, until you actually start fishing you won’t know how the fish are responding, having multiple options available enables you to adapt to the conditions of the peg on the day.

Yes, you need to be decisive and to take calculated risks, fishing your chosen lines / methods well but having a range of options available to you enables you to adapt to the conditions of your peg.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Unless I fish up in the water A couple of top kits are all I need when I fish paste. Up in the water I use 5 at set depth every two inches from 8 inch to 18 inch. if fish are deeper I fish a Jigga. Now I fish a venue with no Ide or F1s I rarely fish up unless roach is a viable target. Skimmers are a fish I have been fixed upon of late, They rarely get fished for with matchmen needing carp to win. Pleasure anglers mostly like the fight they get from carp and get a bit of tunnel vision, they only see carp.
I am a different angler now I can pick my peg, I enjoy my fishing much more now.
My only issue is that all my local information from fellow anglers is gone or is virtually non-existant.
There’s a guy who fishes matches on the lake i regularly fish who targets skimmers. He regularly catches 40lb plus of them. It’s rare he wins but he has a fantastic day’s fishing.

Reaction score
You have to forgive me,but I did match fish relatively successfully for many years,having options means you use them,if you use them,they often take you away from winning methods,for every time those options help you,there are far more times they dont,team match fishing is slightly different,points make prizes,every tiny fish could make a big difference,there could be examples where having loads of kit made up on the bank makes a difference,but I always found limiting those options lead to more coin in my pocket...its a bit like feeding several lines,it is something you must do,but only to the limitations of your peg,too many split the fish up and lead to these lines drying up quickly...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
You have to forgive me,but I did match fish relatively successfully for many years,having options means you use them,if you use them,they often take you away from winning methods,for every time those options help you,there are far more times they dont,team match fishing is slightly different,points make prizes,every tiny fish could make a big difference,there could be examples where having loads of kit made up on the bank makes a difference,but I always found limiting those options lead to more coin in my pocket...its a bit like feeding several lines,it is something you must do,but only to the limitations of your peg,too many split the fish up and lead to these lines drying up quickly...
I think a mugging rig is a good example. I’ve had one set up for every match this Summer but used it once I think. I can guarantee the day I didn’t have it set up would be the day I would need it!

Personally, I’m entirely comfortable with not using options if I don’t think they are right on the day.