Ready made rods - how to?

brookesey

Reaction score
Just bought my first ready made rod case to have two feeder rods ready to go. We don't get enough time a the moment to set two rods up from scratch and multiple pole rigs before the all in.

So, what's the fool proof way to break them down and put them in the case. Both rods are two piece 11 footers. Not sure yet whether the top section will fit with the quiver still in place.

A step by step guide would be much appreciated as I have never done this before!

chrissh

Reaction score
Tip to butt with rod bands or socks this way the tip is more protected and put the tip band as near to the tip a possible

brookesey

Reaction score
Cheers Chris, two rods made up and ready to go for tomorrow's match. :)

mikench

Reaction score
Can you sensibly make up a 3 piece 13' rod? I know I can try but won't if it is not worth the effort! It would have to be broken down to fit in the car.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can you sensibly make up a 3 piece 13' rod? I know I can try but won't if it is not worth the effort! It would have to be broken down to fit in the car.

I manage ok Mike, don't you remember when we had a bit of time out on the river? I set my 13 and 14 foot float rods and band d them together. I only do it when i'm on my own in my motor which enables me to lower the passenger seat and place the rod on there whilst travelling. I take it apart and put it in it's bag and tube on the way home.

I band my rod sections together as they come apart/go together with the sections pointing in the direction they do when assembled.....never had a tangle yet ;).

mikench

Reaction score
I thought you had Ian! On a two piece rod I thread the line through attach the float and shot but leave off the hook so the line is not under tension ! I then break it down with the tip banded to the butt. With a 3 piece you break it down so that all 3 sections are pointing in the same direction with presumably lots of loose line! Have I understood correctly ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you had Ian! On a two piece rod I thread the line through attach the float and shot but leave off the hook so the line is not under tension ! I then break it down with the tip banded to the butt. With a 3 piece you break it down so that all 3 sections are pointing in the same direction with presumably lots of loose line! Have I understood correctly ?

I put the tip to the top with a two piece or three piece Mike. There's no loose line as I gently tighten up any excess with the rod banded together. I put the float rubbers and hook on but more often than not leave the float off until I assemble the rod. I only put the shot on when I assemble the rod.
I stick the hook into a small piece of foam and have it so the rubbers are pushed down onto it and about an inch or so of line hanging off the rod tip. I'll have to show you when I see you. We need a day out together anyhow :).

Molehill

Reaction score
Some good tips there on how to avoid my usual mess of tangles when carrying made up 3piece rods. For me it is usually when roving about with a long made up float rod, plus probably a ledger rod. I always unclip any lead weights or feeders before walking, this helps.
Time to have a think and adapt for next year.

Richox12

Reaction score
If I ever take a 3pc rod made up I never have the 3 sections facing the same way but have it folded 'Z' fashion so tip & butt face one way and middle faces the opposite way between them. No loose line at all that way. Rig on winder (with or without float and with or without hooklength) and strap that to the rod (making sure strap is between rod and winder so they don't touch) and have 2 others straps with one either end of rod to keep everything neat & close together. Doesn't tangle, doesn't damage line, hooks don't come off etc etc

brookesey

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for chiming in with extra tips.

Been using the holdall for a couple of weeks now and have switched to putting the terminal tackle on a winder which has help reduced tangles during transit.

However, already found a major flaw with ready made tip rods...I've regularly found that I've got the wrong quiver tip set up for the conditions when I get there. Especially as the flow on the river varies day by day at this time of year! :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Been using the holdall for a couple of weeks now and have switched to putting the terminal tackle on a winder which has help reduced tangles during transit.

However, already found a major flaw with ready made tip rods...I've regularly found that I've got the wrong quiver tip set up for the conditions when I get there. Especially as the flow on the river varies day by day at this time of year! :eek:mg:

Check the levels on the EA site before you set off ;).

Richox12

Reaction score

I#ve never (well, maybe once) had that problem probably because if I'm fishing the river every week I know what the conditions will be like and also because I take pairs of rods in Double sleeves and have alternatives already with me. At this time of year I will, most likely, take 2 Double sleeves so have 4 Feeder/Bomb rods.

However, if the worst happened and I had to swap a tip over I am still better off with the made-up rod (reels on, line threaded already) as I cut the line above my rig, change tips, then join the lines together, move up my rig and discard the bottom bit of line (from join down) etc. I don't have to make up a rig r tie a hooklength again as it's already done. It still saves me time and for the odd occaision (like I said, maybe once, ever) all of the other times when it's right it's well, well worth it.

brookesey

Reaction score
Check the levels on the EA site before you set off ;).

Unfortunately that doesn't work for the Weaver because it's canalized and the level only varies by up to 6 inches! The flow is controlled by sluices and although the flow is slow compared to normal rivers, the choice between a 1/2 oz tip and 1 oz tip can be the difference between seeing a bite or not from the roach...unless you sit it out for one bite from a big daft bream! :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately that doesn't work for the Weaver because it's canalized and the level only varies by up to 6 inches! The flow is controlled by sluices and although the flow is slow compared to normal rivers, the choice between a 1/2 oz tip and 1 oz tip can be the difference between seeing a bite or not from the roach...unless you sit it out for one bite from a big daft bream! :D

That's a bummer then. Only options I can think of is stick a 3/4 ounce glass tip on or fish elsewhere.