Real beginners help please

sswf224

Reaction score
I have a very basic question so apologies to anyone with more than 1 days fishing experience.

I have a Lineaeffe black 60 reel. It has 3 switches/toggles that i would like help with.
A knurled round one at the back (drag?)

A toggle type one at the back on the arm that fixes it to the rod ( it goes up and down)

A little open just under the spool part.

It says Carp reel but I presume it can be used for all freshwater fish ?

Many thanks in advance

thecrow

Reaction score
I have a very basic question so apologies to anyone with more than 1 days fishing experience.

I have a Lineaeffe black 60 reel. It has 3 switches/toggles that i would like help with.
A knurled round one at the back (drag?)

A toggle type one at the back on the arm that fixes it to the rod ( it goes up and down)

A little open just under the spool part.

It says Carp reel but I presume it can be used for all freshwater fish ?

Many thanks in advance

Never seen the reel but it sounds as if it is a "baitrunner" type reel, the knurled round one at the back controls the freeness of the baitrunner facility,

the toggle type is the one that in either the pushed forward or back (don't know which engages the baitrunner facility,

the small one will be the anti reverse which will in either the up or down position will engage the anti reverse (the reel wont go backwards)

The drag on this reel will most probably be on the front of the spool.

Welcome to FM by the way :) and yes it can be used for other species besides carp.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi fella,

No real need for me add any further info as Crow has already explained but would just like to welcome you to the forum :thumbs:

As a beginner you'll learn plenty on here and never be afraid to ask :D

Be lucky

sswf224

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for everyone welcoming me.

Another question - lets say I am aiming for Chub (around 1 - 2 lbs) to start with

What size hook and strength line would be a good starting point ?

Also by the term "hook to nylon" I presume that you tie the hook direct to the line

Would a pre-tied hook be better for me ? ( I presume the pre-tied is very thin line in case of snagging )

thecrow

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for everyone welcoming me.

Another question - lets say I am aiming for Chub (around 1 - 2 lbs) to start with

What size hook and strength line would be a good starting point ?

Also by the term "hook to nylon" I presume that you tie the hook direct to the line

Would a pre-tied hook be better for me ? ( I presume the pre-tied is very thin line in case of snagging )

Without any information about where you would be fishing or bait you would be using its impossible to give any advice about hook size and line strength.

A "hook to nylon" is a hook that is as the name suggests a hook pre tied to nylon although it wont be nylon it's tied to it is more likely to be monofilament line.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi fella,

Hook to nylon is actually yer pre tied hooks although the term nylon isn't strictly true as is actually monofilament line,

The size of chub that yer fishing for and the fact that yer using maggots which is is what I'd personally use equates to about size 18 hooks to a pre tied 2 - 2.5 lb line :thumbs:

skov

Reaction score
Welcome to FM!

There's a nice guide on hook sizes here:
Fishing Hooks Guide to Coarse Fishing Hooks

18 is a good starting point if you're fishing with maggots for small silvers.

Regarding the reel you could use it if you really need to but it won't be ideal.
You might find it's a bit big and cumbersome for smaller species, and it will be designed for much thicker lines so you'll either need to add some backing to the spool, or put enough line on to get to the moon and back!
I wonder if the clutch might not work very well with lower breaking strain line than it's designed for too?
By all means use it if that's all you've got though.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

Firstly as you mention its a commercial I expect there are carp stocked which are now waking up and feeding more.
When you are trying to catch chub you may well find the carp will bully them out of the way.

If there are carp and you start hooking them I think you should have a packet or two of larger hooks with you on stronger hooklinks.
You want to avoid hook pulls or leaving carp trailing a broken hooklink.

14s 12s 10s Might be a good start to which a cube of luncheon meat/cheese/bread can be mounted.

Secondly do please give us updates of to let everyone know how you get on.
Too many people come on to FM and seek advice then never post again. Your catches and your mishaps will be of interest to all.