Reasons not to fish a river

dalesman

Reaction score
I asked one of the lads why I never seen him on the river bank although he fish's woodlands at Carlton Miniott 3 times a week.

And the reply was Pegs aren't big enough for his seat box :eek:mg: and its hard work.

john step

Reaction score
I asked one of the lads why I never seen him on the river bank although he fish's woodlands at Carlton Miniott 3 times a week.

And the reply was Pegs aren't big enough for his seat box :eek:mg: and its hard work.

Funny aint it. The Swale is just nearby, a fantastic little river. I travel up there for fishing breaks.

I had the similar conversation during my last visit up there. A bloke on a commie told me I was barking mad fishing the river as the commie was much more comfortable and easy to catch.

All I can is good, as the rivers would be crowded otherwise:wh

floatfish

Reaction score
Compared to overstocked commercials the Rivers are hard work, for possibly
little or no reward. But to those who enjoy peace and quiet and their own
company. As Rivers are now it's a place of great pleasure and great satisfaction.Whatever the result of the days efforts.

Reaction score
Funny aint it. The Swale is just nearby, a fantastic little river. I travel up there for fishing breaks.

I had the similar conversation during my last visit up there. A bloke on a commie told me I was barking mad fishing the river as the commie was much more comfortable and easy to catch.

All I can is good, as the rivers would be crowded otherwise:wh

I mis-clicked dislike instead of like on the above post,they must be mad or not clever enough to realise that the bloody heavy seatbox they lug about is not a must have angling accessory...

dalesman

Reaction score
company. As Rivers are now it's a place of great pleasure and great satisfaction.Whatever the result of the days efforts.

Rather trot a river and watch the float dip to a dace, chub or grayling Than wait for the tip wrap round to another carp.

Reaction score

It all depends what is meant by reward,because honing the skills of trotting,to get the quality fish is a very satisfying feeling,let's be fair here,there are a lot of anglers incapable of catching on a commercial.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
having never fished a modern day commie, i am drawn to the idea for a once off just to see if i have the shizzle to get it right, i can see the argument for/against!!! and each to their own, but as per OP river fishing is tough n some will not prosper or get ahead on them and hit the commies, while old fools like me will keep blanking regularly on the river:D on a seatbox or a chair or ass on the grass:eek:mg: it dont matter, to me a day on the river is a joy to behold:D a stocked lake/puddle might be too, i cant say yet but the attraction is there, maybe not every time i would want to wet a line(i could see ME getting bored) but there none the less

Another Dave

Reaction score
having never fished a modern day commie, i am drawn to the idea for a once off just to see if i have the shizzle to get it right, i can see the argument for/against!!! and each to their own, but as per OP river fishing is tough n some will not prosper or get ahead on them and hit the commies, while old fools like me will keep blanking regularly on the river:D on a seatbox or a chair or ass on the grass:eek:mg: it dont matter, to me a day on the river is a joy to behold:D a stocked lake/puddle might be too, i cant say yet but the attraction is there, maybe not every time i would want to wet a line(i could see ME getting bored) but there none the less

Met up with my old fishing mate at the weekend and we talked about doing this for June 16th. Would be nice to fish together somewhere, and as much as my local river is The One it doesn't lend itself to sharing a peg.

I reckon my approach would be to try some breadflake in the margins, bit of cloudy mashed bread around the float, little and often. What would you try?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Reasons to fish rivers are the variety and surprises they offer, but if you married a seat-box as your personal choice of ball and chain your not likely to be the type who wants that.

I have been most successful on rivers by learning one stretch really well say 1/4 mile, fish it winter and summer, find the lairs and hot spots for different species, which levels, temperatures colour, flow etc suit which methods/baits/species. But finding the spots, winter or summer is the key (they do change). Takes time and although you still might not catch as much on commercials you will have fewer blanks if you put the time in and just a bit more interesting plus; these days you should have a free hand, many stretches are empty of anglers.. And there is a lot of variety to choose from, anything between a big tidal stretch or a little stream, they all require something different and give you plenty to think about. And coming across some river tench or carp or see a sea trout jump or hook a surprise mullet or something and where is that one big roach, you know its there even after looking for 10 years, one day-it all adds to the pleasure. -also rivers are natural valleys for migrating birds, amazing what turns up sometimes, plenty to see and plenty of reasons to fish rivers.
I don't think commercials are as easy a s some make out and I know one or two that are a real pleasure and offer some of the above also to some degree or other but its never quite the same.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Please remove my dislike to the above post,it is most annoying when my sausage fingers touch the wrong spot....why oh why isn't there a way to do it myself?

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
After a brief session today..........
1. Mud
2.cows
3.cowsh*t
4.nettles ( should be dead now but arn't)
5.brambles
6 barbed wire all over the place

Love it! Not another angler in sight and 4 decent chub.
Took me a while to clean my kit off, mind :D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Also after a session today on the river -
Hazards:
1. Crossing a cut sweetcorn field with soft mud all the way across.
2. Steep and very muddy banks with 10ft of water at the bottom.
3. Vestigial nettles covering said banks still capable of stinging.
4. Gear plastered in mud.

Result.
1. Knackered legs.
2. A reasonable catch of roach trotting.

B

binka

I must admit that the mud got me down a bit today, all part and parcel of fishing the rivers but it's always that much worse after it's fallen a foot or so as was the case today.

In the past I've been so caked in it that I've vowed to overwinter on stillwaters with nice gravel banks or landing stages but you know how it is...

The allure of the river 'n all that :)

peterjg

Reaction score
Yesterday, started on the K&A canal, water temperature 38F, no bites then a cormorant surfaced near my float. Packed up and walked across a field to the river Kennet. Tried 5 different swims, legering both crust and lobworms, no bites again, water temperature on river was a surprising 42F. Three times I had to unload and reload barrow because of wire fences, when dark I packed up and staggered back to the car (about a mile and a half) absolutely knackered, caught nothing except a bloody signal crayfish. A nice relaxing day by the river!!! No doubt I'll do it again tomorrow! Never give up!

Ijjwsg

Reaction score
For me it should be reasons not to fish a commercial. I never take more than I can carry a mile or so on foot. I Enjoy the more natural surroundings of most river fishing in the countryside and rarely see other anglers (maybe as I tend to find swims that are more that just a fe yards from the car). I have never really enjoyed fishing in over managed & over stocked commercial ponds. Give me a day roe ring on a river any day.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Reading these posts I was thinking I dint have these problems when sea shore fishing but then I thought hang on a minute:-
Sea Gulls nicking your bait, those risk jumpers, they usually decide to jump in next you, the bad caster who always sets up next to you and crosses your line very time he casts, rocks-you can guarantee you will lose your tackle on them unless you know where they are, canoes, motor boats and jet skiers, people walking along the beach and walking into your line because they are blind or stupid or both, which applies to sea gulls as well when they fly into your line, dog muck-guaranteed you will put your bag on it or walk in it, waves-one will catch you out and you will get a boot-full, crack offs, birds nests, idiots like the one who asked to wash my prize Sole in the sea(biggest I ever seen) and lose it as a big wave came over him...
With gritted teeth-Happy Christmas to all of them, someone must love them after-all.

What with mud, nettles, steep banks etc on rivers and the above perhaps commercials and not so bad!

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
One reason not to fish a river........ over two seasons, you and your mate, who lives a stone's throw from the banks, have caught virtually nothing but small grayling from a mile of what was once prime coarse fishing. Between you, you have something like 100 years of fishing experience.

If you are a committed small grayling angler who doesn't want to be pestered with nuisance roach, dace, chub, barbel or bream, I'd get on the Derwent below Derby now.

sampras43

Reaction score

I guess it will come down to what you've been brought up on and have experience of. I grew up fishing the Ouse and if my local stretches now were anywhere near as good I'd be on them all day long. The world of fishing was different back then and commercials didn't exist. I can see the pleasure in both but rivers would have my vote any day of the week. I personally like the challenge of going after river fish and the not knowing what's in the water is a big attraction to me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The river is like a Forrest Gump box of chocolates.