Recommend something that wont blow up!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Hi guys, sorry I have not been about fot a while, besided my success at the Carp of Norfolk...I have been doing a bit of exploring on some of the wilder lochs of Scotland...and thats where my problem begins....

Last weekend I blew up my sixth baitrunner, totally stripping the gears. I also had two spools go! This is because I have started using serious baits for serious fish in serious waters.

The baitrunners are just not up to the job I am afraid, and its the newer ones that are giving up the ghost first!

Can anyone recommend a reel for use with baits up to 10oz, hauling fish through weed, and retrieving weed covered baits?

Reels on the short list are the Quantum baitrunners, Biomasters, Emblems, Giant big pit reel and possibly the Okuma Epix baitfeeder in the 70 or 80 size.

I am using either 30 lb fireline or 17 pound normal nylon depending on the swim.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Cheers
Rob

C

Charlie Bettell

If you want a serious reel, i.e. for serious pike fishing, go for an Abu 6501 multiplier.

Is has a superb freespool ratchet system, so loud it will wake you should you dooze off, and I have found the reel to be very reliable.

R

Rob Brownfield

Charlie, I have several 6501's for boat fishing and jerkbaits..I really need something for off the shore, fishing upto 100 yars with half macks etc.

C

Charlie Bettell

Trust me Rob, you aint casting a half mackeral, plus lead weight, 100 yards.

My local river Yare is exactly 50 yards wide, bank to bank, outside BAC. I have asked many customers who have been discussing casting distance in the shop, how wide they thought the river was. Most people that I've asked over the years, reckoned it to be about 75 yards.

Get a 100 yard spool of line and walk it off in a field Rob - you will get a shock just how far 100 yards is.

If I really went for it, I could probably cast a half mackeral and 2-3oz weight 70 yards - i.e. using my Abu 6501 C3 and my old trusty conoflex sea rod - which can cast up to 6oz. I doubt if I could get that distance using a baitrunner.

S

Sean Meeghan

Charlies right Rob. I'm not the worlds best multiplier caster but I've fished one rod with a multiplier and one rod with a fixed spool and with big deads I'm hard pushed to tell which casts further. If you really want to cast some distance with a multiplier take the level wind off or buy a shore casting reel which hasn't got one. You need an educated thumb then though!

R

Ron Clay

The multiplier in SKILLED hands will cast further any day. However many anglers do not have the skills, nor the time to aquire them to use a multiplier to it's full potential. A big fixed spool reel would be the best option.

Yes I get many rumours that Shimano reels are not what they used to be.

I have one of the original baitrunner reels which came out about 1985. I have used it for pike, zander, various South African salt water species up to 50 lbs, many catfish and bass.

Never had a problem. The reel is as good today as when it was first purchased.

J

Jeremy Airey

Hey Rob
Shame people don't read what you write isn't it. I presume "FISHING" at 100 yards incl. a spot of wading. If you can cast a half mackeral 100 plus (measured) yards your my hero.
On the reel front take a peak at the sea angling mags you should find a robust reel to suit in there or you could email Neil McKellow I'm sure he would help.
The Biomaster 8000 has a good rep. for toughness but all your short list sounds fine to me.
Bit of a change from the old ultralghts though isn't it.
regards
Jeremy

C

Chris Bishop

If it's only something you do every now and then and cost is an issue, check out Ryobi Project reels - massive spools, ok line-lay, quite robust.

R

Rob Brownfield

Nice to know some of you know how far I can cast :)

Firstly, I do a bit of beach fishing, and in a measured compitition, my best cast using 150g (5oz) is 213 yards :)..so have my federation "200 yard" badge..This is with a tuned 6500 CT.

I can fish a half makeral comfortably over 100 yards...you hit the nail on the head Jeremy!!!

Using a 125 yard spool of fireline, I have "fished" with only a couple of turns left on the spool..so had to upgrade to 300 yards.

Basically I wade up to 60 metres out, then launch the bait as far as I can get it. With wind and faverouble conditions I reckon realistically, I am hitting 80-90 yards with a frozen bait of about 4 oz, shockleader and 20 pound fireline using Daiwa Infinity rods.

Multipliers are crap from the shore (fresh water with big non aerodynamic baits), simple as that. If the wind is in your face, and the bait starts to wobble in flight, thats you with a huge over run. Also, the retrieve is no where near fast enough to wind down to a fish at range :)

I actually used 5501's for carp fishing a while back. When I got a drop back, it took me ages to connect to the fish....

I think I may go for the Biomaster...seems to be tried and tested.

The Ryobi reels are good value..but I dont think they will last me.

Thanx for the advice guys.

D

David Will

Rob I can vouch for Biomasters last for ages , well mine have. Go for 7000's same as 8ooo's except spool depth but usually ?10 cheaper.Look in the Carp mags for suppliers but Angling Direct were the cheapest I could find recently at about ?65. The clutch on these is superb and the line lay is fantastic even with braid.

J

Jack Pike

I got a pair of Ryobi project reels bought them 8 years ago when I had a slight work flow problem .I can vouch they will last.

R

Rob Brownfield

Thanks for that David and Jack.

I was thinking that the Bio's were tried and tested by the Sea brigade. I know a few lads up here that use them off the rocks for winter codding, so they must be tough.

I'll get hunting on the web then...although those damn Okuma Epix Baitfeeders look damn good for ?59!!..grrr..

S

Steve Parsons

Rob,probably the toughest fixed spool reels are the PENN spinfisher series.These are used extensivly in the USA for boat fishing for everything that swims.Bearing in mind the tough nature of your fishing these maybe the reels for you.
The reels are heavy and expensive at over ?100 each.Chek out the Penn website for details.

R

Rob Brownfield

I know them well having fished with them in the far east and Oz for Barracuda etc.

A bit too ...well..ugly for piking. I was never impressed with the line lay on them really.

I am warming more and more to the larger Epix Baitfeeder. It gets great write ups on the Australian sites...they use them for sea species etc.

D

David Will

Then there's the American series baitrunners of course! 4500 BTR a or the new but more expensive b versions , these are rock solid and if casting to the horizon is not needed (if possible with any reel and a half mack or similar) could be your answer.

C

Chris Bishop

You can get them even cheaper, I'm getting a couple for drifting and will report back when I've given them a few weeks' use.