Record Bream

S

sam oddy

I've just seen the bit on FM News regarding the new bream record. It has to be said that this is a superb fish by any standard.

What makes it in some ways more satisfying is that it came from a conservation group's water proving that all their work has indeed paid off.

As an aside how big can bream reasonably be expected to grow? As they tend to be shoal fish does this mean that a few of its mates are likely to be about the same size or is it the last of its year group?

Absolutely awesome and the questions arising are I suspect what keeps us fishing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It came from a water that is popular with carp anglers and therefore boilies will be used a lot. And that's one of the great things about boilies, they're made from nutritious ingredients that help the fish to grow even bigger than they normally would on ordinary baits. That isn't the whole story of course, the water has got to be top quality to start with.

I expect the bream record to go approximately the same way as the barbel record, with them both reaching 20lb and the barbel record getting there first.

P

Philip Inzani

Some of the big reservoirs in France have produced Bream to over 20Ib (and some whopping Tench). Obviously these are huge rich waters that you would struggle to find an equilivant of in the UK but perhaps the bolie diet Graham mentions could offset that in some places. I think some of the trout reservoirs may have potential to match the force fed Carp waters.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Magnificent fish and a true fairy tale record, from a venue where people didn't even suspect it was possible. Great stuff.

Caught a rod length from the bank too! From under a bush! Kind of upsets the theory that big bream are always about as far away from the bank as you can get.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It doesn't upset the theory too much. It's right on spawning time right now for bream, when they come close in to shallow water to lay their eggs. Look at the gut on the fish and see where much of its weight is.

A

Andy Thatcher

What a cracking fish. Another example of the mystery of fishing that keeps me entranced !

R

Rob Brownfield

arrrrgh...I would never buy that rubbish...lol..I'll have a look at the cover without buying....