Record fish....

B

Berty

He already has Paul, Mary from Wrasbury....

I stand correcting mate......years ago i would have rattled all the records, where they came from and who caught them.........i have to check if i want to know now.

Hearn, Lane, Springate, not just carpers, anglers.....awesome.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
NK
I believe Terry spent a whole year after this fish, with many hours of walking around the 94 acre lake, and located it for the first time after ten months of trying. He caught it no more than 10' from the bank after settling into a swim on a Tuesday, catching a few 20's and the big one on the Saturday. Although not his biggest fish I believe he regards this one as the highlight of his career.
Jerry

dannytaylor

Reaction score
nigel sharpes account of catching the burghfield common (at 52Ib +) makes for impressive reading, he spent 5 years tracking down the fish! That common is no mug. Even used a bike to ride round the lake fish spotting and priming spots!

As ive said in an earlier post a lot of members of FM bang on about walker etc but when you read about angling "campaigns" like this it ALMOST makes the captures at redmire pale in to insignificance. I understand the importance of the captures made there and the groundbreaking development of carp takle by walker whom without, there would be no modern day carping. However these modern day carp captures are awesome angling achievments which should be respected and are up there with past historic captures. :w

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Terry Hearn has that indefinable something that puts him head and shoulders above most, if not all, modern carp anglers. The fish he catches appear to be a result of dedication, determination and skillful angling. If he caught yet another record carp few would be surprised.

noknot

Reaction score
Ditto! All the above comments, yes indeed Redmire was a wonder to behold, but the mystery soon evaporated once "Carp anglers" fished it!
Maddocks took the place apart, and even caught through the winter, and termed it as an "easy" water!

This to me is the "true" period of Carp angling advancement, not in the 50's but the 80's! Baits and rigs became fine tuned and will still catch any Carp that swims today!

dezza

Reaction score
Walker never reckoned that his capture of Clarissa was a great feat of angling.

He once said: "There are many anglers around who can do a hell of a lot better than me, if only they would believe in the possibility."

As the years passed, there appeared many who did believe in the possibility, and Walker was one of the first to congratulate them.

noknot

Reaction score
Indeed Ron!

Kevin Maddocks and "Sir" Pete Spingate in the early 80's, Awesome!!!

Maddocks.jpg

carpfever3.jpg

cg74

Reaction score
"from an anglers point of view what is the most meritous record?"

From this anglers point of view, Dean Rawlings's record breaking perch about tew years ago (?) has the greatest level of merit.

Why an accidental capture gains my vote: Because so far as I can see he is the only one that wasn't lead to his prize catch and to call 'accidental' is a misleading title anyway, not purposely targeted is nearer the mark.

On the whole I find the 'names' specimen angling scene a sad pathetic bunch of tossers that seem to have lost the true essence of angling; enjoyment!

Martin Bowler trying to catch his first double figure tench, hunted around Oxon gravel pits, desperately gleeing any info he could from the locals. When that never worked, moved onto being guided on a Kent pit, viewable on his Catching the Impossible dvd; "Martin, cast 40 yards in the direction of that tree and there's a gravel bar, I'm not saying they're always there but...."
SAD!!

For pathetic, Dean Macey takes some beating (though not exactly a 'name' still just a real wannabe), I hope I get the facts right but after being bored senseless in prior shows, I really couldn't watch attentively....... Went something like (roach fishing, with can't remember who): "Cast about 2 yards from the lily pads, I've been baiting it for a while............"
Setting the trend for the entire dvd set.

Why can't anglers find their own f*****g fish???

Philip

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Terry Hearn certainly has an impressiv CV including [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bazil: 45lb 6oz, Yateley North Lake.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Mary: 55lb 13oz, Wraysbury.
Two Tone: 50lb 13oz, Conningbrook.
Black Mirror: 48lb, ‘The Mere’.
Fat Lady: 51lb, St Ives Lagoon.
Heather the Leather: 48lb 2oz, Yateley Car Park Lake.
Sid: 51lb 8oz, Dinton.
Black Eye: 50lb 1oz Chad Lakes.

PS Also the Burfield Common at 47lb.14oz in 2009 - it had only been on the bank 5 times in the previous 12 years.
[/FONT]

& let's not forget a vast number of 'backup' fish, and I use the word 'backup' in the loosest sense, that would still be fish of a lifetime for most..just 2 examples..Mallins from Wraysbury 1 at 40+ & the long common from Conningbrook at I think 39.14..these are incredible fish amongst so many others. Its also I don't think any coincidence that on many occasions he caught his target fish as one of the first captures on a water. Mary & 2tone I think being only the 2nd fish he caught each time. Its more than luck. He did his homework. He knew, were, when and what to use to stack the odds in his favor of the right fish taking his bait.
The 'problem' as it were with Burghfield is the stock density is much higher so it becomes that much more difficult to target a specific fish with so many other mouths wanting the bait. I don't know what its like now but Burghfield was a lovely place. At the time all eyes were on Wraysbury & Burghfield was somewhat overlooked. It would not surprise me if there is a record somewhere in there, and I don't mean Carp.

Yes Terry Hearn is a full time angler now but he worked to put himself in that position. Also its easy to say someone is a full time angler so he has the time to catch. However I doubt many full time anglers live a life of luxury..angling as a sport does not generate enough money for someone to be like Lionel Messi. Its easy to forget the commitment and sacrifices that have to be made to live an angling life full time. I couldn't do it, that's for sure.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Noknot, here are my opening couple of lines, I thought they were self explanatory, if not I'll try and rewrite them:

"From this anglers point of view, Dean Rawlings's record breaking perch about ten years ago (?) has the greatest level of merit.

Why an accidental capture gains my vote: Because so far as I can see he is the only one that wasn't lead to his prize catch and to call 'accidental' is a misleading title anyway, not purposely targeted is nearer the mark."

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't know what its like now but Burghfield was a lovely place. At the time all eyes were on Wraysbury & Burghfield was somewhat overlooked. It would not surprise me if there is a record somewhere in there, and I don't mean Carp.

Philip, I don't fish it as often as I used to (it's still on a season ticket at £60 or £30 for over 60's) It's still unspoilt, still hard but can be very rewarding with a bit/lot of effort. There are also some very big tincas there, also pike/perch and probably other species that I have not targeted. As it is so under fished and large it's probably anyones guess as to the true potential.
barbelboi-albums-c1-picture2669-burghfield-lake-2.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Why can't anglers find their own f*****g fish???
Only a very few anglers plough their own furrow, then the trail is marked and its then easy for others to walk in. no "near " pun intended Danny, others did it for me.

wdd1200

Reaction score
As a youngster I was in awe of those that held records, it was the "Mecca" of anyone's angling career, I used to look at the Angling weeklies and magazines with envious eyes, it was always my goal to emulate those that were good enough to catch quality fish, that is what we are all trying to do but it seems the “envy” can also turn and bite you on the rear!

This is a post I put up on another forum, it is a private club site and the subject was “Publicity”, but it sort of fit this thread so I have reproduced it here to save my fingers!

“Publicity is very much a double edged sword; you can cut from either side AND get stabbed by the point!!

Lets face it for those that plaster articles all over the place (and I admit I am one) the words are useful but a picture emphasises the point very well.
Where would we be if none of us ever posted a picture or sent an image to the comics, we would live in a very boring world!!

When you post an image you do so for very definite reasons, sometimes for recognition, sometimes for material gain but also to illustrate a point, mostly I suspect it is a mixture of all three, but what ever your reasons, recognition is a by product like it or not!
I can’t go anywhere these days without being recognised, whether I fish a VAC water or anywhere else for that matter, mostly I don’t mind but there are times when I just want to fish quietly on my own, everyone likes a bit of personal “ME” time and I am no different, I am not complaining, I brought it upon myself, but it is there and I will have to get along with it!!

But with that recognition come responsibility, not only must I do “it” right but I must be seen to do “it “ right, from fish care to how to cast, I realise that I have a responsibility that extends beyond my own personal enjoyment of this sport I love!

The problem seems to arise when anglers either ignore the responsibility or don’t care what others think, often because personal gain is the prime reason, either for themselves or to advertise their sponsors products, what ever the reason there will always be some anglers that will publish and damn the consequences for everyone else.

One thing I would mention, whatever your reason to publish, you will receive a certain amount of flak, 5teve (I won’t name him without permission) mentioned that he did not remember me getting any moans when I published a certain picture, 5teve may not have seen it but I got some serious flak, much of it quite upsetting and the vast majority of it completely wrong or not at all a representation of me or the way I fish, it came from all quarters both from anglers I know personally and from people I have never met and have never seen me fish, so if you do go down that path remember, yesterdays newspaper may be tomorrows chip wrappings and although the actual paper might be long gone, once within the sphere of the “media” it never EVER goes away, and if anything the internet is waaaaaay worse!!!

So “Tight Lines Chaps” and perhaps a little thought, “BEFORE” that magic moment arrives, might save a whole world of aggravation!”

It is for the above reasons that if I were ever lucky enough to catch a record fish I would certainly think long and hard about what I would do, as I have already stated, publication brings with it a responsibility, you must be prepared to take that responsibility, AND that comes with a price!

Tight lines chaps.