Redmire pool

macko

Reaction score
Can't see it mentioned on here, but Redmire is going up for sale.
The whole estate apparently.

ATB Macko

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yep, if I won the Lotto tomorrow; I would buy the place and turn it back into a private fishery.

As I suspect will happen if it goes for the asking price ?

:wh

Bob

steve2

Reaction score
The new owners may just look on it as a hole in the ground with fish in it which is what it is and use as a boating lake. The significance of this water lies in the past there are now far better and cheaper waters to fish.
If I had the money from what I have seen it would make a good tench and crucian carp lake once the carp were removed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Redmire Pool, or to give it its proper name of Bernithan Court Farm lake has its history firmly established in angling history.

It was originally stocked with Trout but they didn't survive too well due to the thick weed and were replaced in 1934 (date?) by the 50 "Leney" Carp purchased for the princely sum of £2 17/6d.

In 1951 Bob Richards caught the famous 31 pounder and the next year **** Walker caught and landed "Ravioli" at 44 pounds to be renamed "Clarissa" when later housed in London Zoo.

Since then every major influence in UK Carp Angling has fished the famous pool including: Jack Hilton, Tom Mintram, Bill Quinlan, Len Arbery, Kevin Clifford, Peter Springate and Kevin Maddocks and, of course Chris Yates who broke ****'s record fish with a Carp of 51 pounds . . . .

Personally I have only ever fished it on the one occasion but it remains one of my few remaining ambitions to repeat the experience.

I think it would be a terrible shame to see Redmire fall into the hands of a non-fishing person, or organisation, or indeed for it to ever be tuned into anything other than the iconic Carp fishery that it still is today.

robcourt82

Reaction score
I fished it once about 8-10 years ago and to be honest it didn't live up to my expectations. I'd like it to fall into the hands of a little old fashioned group or club of die hard traditionalists who would love it, look after it and cherish it for what it is.
I was really quite disappointed by it as it was a neglected money spinner earning a fortune off of the history alone. It was over run with pasty sized commons that you couldn't get on for love nor money at any time other than in the winter.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
With Redmire I think a lot depends on what you want, or expect, from the venue.

To my mind it is well worth the weekend prices of £60 a day in the summer or £35 a day in the winter periods.

As with any venue there are no guarantees whatsoever and results are governed by the prevailing conditions linked to the angler's experience.

Personally I was very happy to just "be there" after so many years of trying, and failing, to secure my preferred weekend date, but I did catch 3 very lovely mid-teen Carp.

To sit on the railings by the dam wall and think back on some of those great anglers who had been there before me was well worth the journey alone, as was waking on a clear and crisp dawn on the second morning.
I did manage to catch a few of the legendary gudgeon too.

robcourt82

Reaction score
I like to think that I've come from in between generations, I love modern tackle but I grew up watching Wilson and a passion for angling and love what those guys stood for.
I understand and admire the history of the pool and it was an honour to have been there but I have to speak as I found. We paid more for our booking as it was the last week of the season (we split the week between 8 guys as they were regulars) I had a 14 pounder and a couple of little babies and looking through the catch book my fish was the biggest to have been caught (reported) for about 7 months.
Ill be honest that it was a pretty big deal for me fishing there and I spent months looking online and on forums for any info I could get and I never saw anyone who said they got a summer booking. It was always the same story, spent hours trying to get through only to be offered mid November or January.
The guy I went with (a very close friend) did go a few times and a few years after they did eventually get a late summer booking and he had his first twenty and a beautiful upper double linear during that visit but for me I just felt that it wasn't the open access it was made out to be.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't understand this "just to be there" thing but everyone is different, I fish to catch fish if I don't and I have enjoyed the day that's also ok but there is no way I would pay £60 a day just fish somewhere that is a shadow of its former self just because of its history even if I could afford it which I cant, if I wanted history I could nip down the road and walk where Jane Grey lived for nowt :)

Places like Redmire are imo best remembered as what they once were not what they have become because the reality of what it has become is nothing like what it once was.

I saw "Clarissa" in London zoo once she was in with a pike of about 11/12 lbs I felt a bit sorry for her living her days out in a tank instead of where she had previously been and never understood why the fish was removed from where it was caught.

Does any evidence exist of this 58lb fish that Walker was supposed to have caught? because I cant see why Walker would have kept a fish like that quiet when all his other fish were publicised or is it just a figment of someone's imagination?

steve2

Reaction score
It was special back in the day but only because it one one of the few places with big carp, it isn't now and never will be again.
I always remember reading about the Royalty Fishery on the Hampshire Avon and dreaming about fishing there. When I finally did back in the early 60's what a let down, banks lined with people fishing shoulder to shoulder. What we would now call a commercial water.
Sometimes it's better to leave some places in your dreams.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I always remember reading about the Royalty Fishery on the Hampshire Avon and dreaming about fishing there. When I finally did back in the early 60's what a let down, banks lined with people fishing shoulder to shoulder.

I felt much the same in the late 60's - saw the Royalty, got back in the car and drove to Throop which was a different world. We liked it so much that we used to book a cottage in nearby Wimbourne for a couple of weeks each summer for quite a few years.............

thecrow

Reaction score
I always remember reading about the Royalty Fishery on the Hampshire Avon and dreaming about fishing there. When I finally did back in the early 60's what a let down, banks lined with people fishing shoulder to shoulder.

Anglers with bank stick in hand running for swims when the gates opened, it was a site to behold :)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Can't see it mentioned on here, but Redmire is going up for sale.
The whole estate apparently.

ATB Macko

There may be a Redmire up for sale somewhere but it ain't the legendary carp venue.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I was offered a fully inclusive weeks fishing holiday at Redmire for free i'd decline it, imo it's just another commercial....narrh not for me gent's :).

barbelboi

Reaction score
2u59vo6.jpg

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Ok.I stand corrected.
I just found it odd that googling Redmire for sale threw up nothing and that the official website mentions bookings for 2018 and nothing about it being for sale.
My mistake.

Frothey

Reaction score
Ok.I stand corrected.
I just found it odd that googling Redmire for sale threw up nothing and that the official website mentions bookings for 2018 and nothing about it being for sale.
My mistake.

That's because it's called Bernithian Court, not Redmire.....

No one is going to buy it as a fishery, too much land and too expensive to make any return. Unless Rob Hales buys it, nets out all the small fish and stocks some decent size fish in. Big Rig, for example - would be nice for the record to come from there again.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I felt a bit sorry for her living her days out in a tank instead of where she had previously been and never understood why the fish was removed from where it was caught.

The fish would not have been accepted as a record at that time without the production of the body as evidence. As Walker himself recalled in "No Need To Lie" (1964):

"...I resolved that, record or no record, that fish should not be killed. Many, many times I had wondered what I should do if ever I caught a record carp; now I had to decide, and kill it I could not."

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The fish would not have been accepted as a record at that time without the production of the body as evidence. As Walker himself recalled in "No Need To Lie" (1964):

"...I resolved that, record or no record, that fish should not be killed. Many, many times I had wondered what I should do if ever I caught a record carp; now I had to decide, and kill it I could not."

That is exactly right. Walker had to make a huge decision and to my mind it was the right one.

'Ravioli' was just so much bigger than the previous record that it simply had to. be considered and yet Walker, to his eternal credit, just couldn't bring himself to kill such a fabulous fish.