Reel drag not working properly

vasmasta

Hi, I recently lost what could have been a trophy fish due to this problem :(

My reel drag isnt working as it should, i have to really loosen it up for it to work when i get a fish on but then when i real in it just spinning like crazy and i cant get much line on the spool but as soon as i tighten it up it just wont drag

Reel is on its 3d year, kept in good condition etc..

I have googled some stuff but i cant seem to find a solid fix

Any ideas please?

EDIT: will update my reel full details when i get home from work

Last edited:

vasmasta

my bad, should have really posted more details, will update this thread when i get home from work as i dont quite remember off to of my head. I know its a daiwa reel

I use it on my feeder rod, to fish on the river for bream but i think i may have broken it just before river season started i went on the lake to fish for bream but spotted carp being active and feeding near buy and i started using my feeder rod to catch carp, i caught about 7 carp that day up to 10 lb. I am not sure if the reel is meant to be used for that purpose, maybe that's what messed up with my drag :( but the reel seems solid so i am not too sure

I will post all details when i get home

thank you

valetudoguy

There are a few different reel drag systems, however I will post this here as front drag is fairly common. I do something similar on most of my front drag reels as this video and most of my reels are well over 3 years old and going strong... more like 15-25 for at least half of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unVmdINjbHk

rich66

I know some of the better quality Daiwa front drag reels have quick drag. Which basically quarter of a turn goes from freespool to tight.
I’ve a Daiwa ninja and have had carp to 16lb quite a few 3-7lbs on it and it’s been fine.

Just a thought have you a spare spool for it and does it have the same problem

Last edited:

vasmasta

Thanks for you responses

I do have a spare spool, i should have really tested all this before posting sorry....Just a bit frustrated this morning as i lost that fish yesterday evening. Snapped 5lb hook length right bang on in the middle, but that could have been probably me over tighten drag i am not sure i panicked a bit lol... however its deffo not working as it should, i have tested it with smaller fish and just by hand.

Will check everything out after work and post update

edit: what reel grease do you use guys? can you use normal bike chain oil??? or does it have to be something specific

Last edited:

mikench

To find anyone on the forum who may be familiar with the problem you must quote the make, size and model name of the reel and if it's a front or rear drag if the name doesn't make this obvious.

rayner

After hooking a fish tighten up and back wind or buy another reel, have you contacted Daiwa.