Reel Fittings

M

mike smith

I had a spot of bother the other day, and wonder if anyone can help.
I have had my reels mounted on my pike rods in my holdall since about the middle of October, and tried to remove them on Saturday to put on my Carp rods.
One of the baitrunners came off fine, the other got stuck. The problem was that the screw fitting on one of the rods did screw down the rod, but the metal bracket thing which holds the reel to the rod stayed firm.
Now when I tighten up again, the screw just wraps over the bracket, and just screws back down again when I untwist, leaving the bracket where it is.
Obviously, the screw is supposed to pull the bracket down with it.
Have I overtightened this, have I left it tightened up for too long, or is it just a crap fitting ?
Should I put some vaseline on it first to stop it sticking?
Am I not safe with a modern reel fitting, and should only be allowed to use the sliding ones found on cork handled match rods?
How can I fix it now?, or do I have to have a new reel seat fitted?
Help me if you can, I'm feeling down.

C

Carp Angler

It's a combination of cheap plastic screw threads and leaving them on the rods too long.
Try WD40 and if that fails to free up the bracket then gentle prising with a screwdriver will free it.
Once it is freed, screw the thread back up to the bracket and try to reseat them together again.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Yes Carp Angler has suggested the same as I would have done.Out of interest what make are the fittings?Do not be tempted to lubricate it with grease/vaseline etc after you have freed it as this will only attract dirt and clog up the threads.

M

mike smith

I can't tell you what make the fittings are, it just says 'GPS 20' on them, but no make.
The rods are the local shop's 'own brand', so all I have is the shop name, length and TC.
They were only about ?60 or so and about 18 months old.
That will teach me to buy cheap stuff I suppose.
Out of interest, are there different grades of plastic used in fittings?
Can you get metal ones?
Would it be too difficult to replace the fitting without ruining the rod or having to buy new ones?
Maybe it would be worth running through the Tackle Workshop.
I'll try the WD40.

Thanks.

M

mike smith

I can't tell you what make the fittings are, it just says 'GPS 20' on them, but no make.
The rods are the local shop's 'own brand', so all I have is the shop name, length and TC.
They were only about ?60 or so and about 18 months old.
That will teach me to buy cheap stuff I suppose.
Out of interest, are there different grades of plastic used in fittings?
Can you get metal ones?
Would it be too difficult to replace the fitting without ruining the rod or having to buy new ones?
Maybe it would be worth running through the Tackle Workshop.
I'll try the WD40.

Thanks.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Funny you should mention the Tackle Workshop but I have an article about renewing a full cork handled rod which came with sliding ring type fittings with a FUJI pipe seat.It does not cover the removal of an existing pipe seat though.This can be quite tricky depending on how the manufacturer has built the rod.Try to sort the origonal one first.If no luck then if you can get the rod section to me I will change it for you for the price of the replacment fitting.I will then use it for an additional article.

M

mike smith

The WD40 worked a treat, thanks.

Thanks also for the offer of fixing it Budgie.
Maybe you could throw together the instructions of how to fix it anyway - for future reference. (In case it unfixes itself ).

mike.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

No problem Mike will start on it latter this week.Glad you got sorted.