Reel line clipping - snap off ?

magicone

Reaction score
I've read/seen about clipping your line on the reel, to maintain a constant length when casting with a 15/30g method ledger/pellet float.

Although I've not tried this, it worries me using a 6/8lb main line if I over casted and in danger of a snap off as I used to get when sea fishing with a tangled line and a 6/8oz weights.

I suppose i will have to practice in doing this and pray, unless you know better.

thanks

C

chefster

Dont worry mate,when you cast to a clip,the idea is to hit the clip in the air,just before the feeder lands..the rod will cushion the strain and as you feel the line hit the clip gently lower the rod,this ensures that the feeder lands with a gentle "plop"as opposed to a massive "spladoooosh!!",which wll spook the fish,Line clips are user friendly,and they wont snap you,re line...Gazza

terry m

Reaction score
With balanced kit and avoiding the use of a disproportionately heavy lead will mean that snapping off when casting to the clip is very unlikely.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In addition to the above points, the only other issue I've seen is when the inexperienced clip up at fifty yards and then cast with enough force to achieve one hundred yards plus.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen that happen and the feeder then bounces back thirty yards and lands in the margins.

One tip I was given when I had the same worries was to slip a short length of pole elastic or rubber band into the clip for the line to lie on, it also opens the clip a little making it easier to clip up.

I should say at this point that when feeder fishing on the river I take the line out of the clip after each cast and slip it back in before I retrieve. To ensure I always clip up to the right place I tie a piece of daglo darning silk onto the mainline.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
it's not something I do very often but I do remember the first time I thought I'd give it a go and sure enough halfway through the day I snapped off. I think due to one of the reasons listed already, i.e. not doing it right

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
another tip to help here is to raise the rod to a vertical position once the cast is complete (and the feeder is still on it's way)... then when the line hits the clip, you've got the whole rod's length to act as a cushion. Also, if you then lower the rod tip as soon as you hit the clip, the feeder will fall down pretty much vertically, rather than swinging down on a tight line - which can be a good aid when you're trying to be really accurate.

greenie62

Reaction score
another tip to help here is to raise the rod to a vertical position once the cast is complete .....
Nice one Jim,
It's very difficult to explain tips which you perform automatically - you have to think about what you've been doing instintively for years - then break it down in your mind and work out not just how to explain it - but why it works as well!
:thumbs:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Nice one Jim,
It's very difficult to explain tips which you perform automatically - you have to think about what you've been doing instintively for years - then break it down in your mind and work out not just how to explain it - but why it works as well!
:thumbs:

Yep, you're right there!! I've taken mates fishing before where I've expected them to master this or feathering a float straight away, completely forgetting that it's taken me going fishing consistently for several years to get the hang of it...

There's really no subsitute for practice!