reels?

JeffGar

Hi everyone, I was selecting a fly reel. I've red tons of reviews, comparisons and stuff, so I was looking at 2 options at the moment. I wanted something not too expensive, yet I need the reel that will last for some time and that won't irritate me with being too stiff, you know. My budget is $100 with shipping at MAX. These are the 2 that I believe are good based on my observations: Wright & McGill Dragon Fly Reel WMEDFSLA56 and Okuma® - SLV Fly Reel. I am not looking for something really professional and too expensive, just for a quality thing that will do its job, ya know. Anyways, please educate me on reels. Any recommendations from your experience are appreciated!

O

O.C.F.Disorder

check for cheap second hand ones. lots of people try fly fishing, go once and decide its not for them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
I'm not sure if these are available in the US but you could do a lot worse than looking at the Grey's stable of fly reels.

They are solid, with a good drag system, and last a long time, and many of their models are within your price
range.

I've had and used one for the last 6 years in which time it has been "used and abused" a fair bit.

Last edited:

stillwater blue

You've not said what wt your after or application, it would help.

Presuming your after a reel for trout for dry fly or nymphing then you don't need a disc drag, IMHO a trout sized fly reel is pretty much a line holder. I'm a big fan of click pawl reels as they're lighter than disc drag reels and have less moving parts to go wrong. I like the Orvis Battenkill range of reels as they're light, robust, and have classic styling. The battenkills are a hint on the small side so I tend to size up, I use a II on a 3/4 weight and a III on a 5 weight.

JeffGar

Thanks for commenting on reels, folks. I was looking for a reel for trout fishing. I realize, that this is not a must-have thing, yet it's more convenient to fish with a rail.
I'm not sure if these are available in the US but you could do a lot worse than looking at the Grey's stable of fly reels. They are solid, with a good drag system, and last a long time, and many of their models are within your price range. I've had and used one for the last 6 years in which time it has been "used and abused" a fair bit.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out, man.

sylvanillo

I wonder what Jeff means by fly fishing first. For both carp/predators fishing (streamers etc) I have a Redington Surge 8/9 which is simple and reliable. The Surge can be found in the US for $80.
On my trout rod a semi-automatic Vivarelli is superb but the price might be an issue (to check in US).