Renewing elastics, they are due.

rayner

Reaction score
This morning I removed elastics from my top kits. I have my choice of replacements, I thought they'll not be too much trouble. That was a mistake because looking in the top kits they're all pretty grubby.
The task of cleaning them out really gets on my pip.
Does anyone have a quick or easy way to clean kits? I normally use a length of wire with a small bottle brush whipped on the end, a couple of bags of groundbait to secure the kit whilst I scrub the inside.
Any better ideas would help.

seth49

Reaction score
I usually lie them in a few inches of warm soapy water in the bath to soak for a while, and then pull a piece of cloth through from the small end, with one of the diamond eye threaders used for pulling the elastic through. Best way I’ve found to clean them.

rayner

Reaction score
That's how I used to do it, not any more after a disaster, top kits need looking after.

I think I prefer my wire and bottle brush, I've had a piece of cloth stuck before in the thin end when the end of the threaded split. Probably my fault trying to pull a piece of cloth that was too thick.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I bought a browning pole cleaner...... it’s basically like a mini chimney sweep ..... it’s a brush on a wire but designed for the job....
It does work ok

rayner

Reaction score
I've got the Maver one, it's just too wide to go through the top kit. Is the Browning one smaller? will it go through the No1?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Maver cleaner too and it works very well. I've never had a problem when using it but like most things you need to exercise a little care when cleaning fine tips.

rayner

Reaction score
My Maver cleaner came second hand there's no way the finest can fit through a No1, maybe I was goosed and there's a piece missing.
Either way, it's not usable for me.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I've got the Maver one, it's just too wide to go through the top kit. Is the Browning one smaller? will it go through the No1?

Not sure mate...... I’ve only cleaned my power kits with it and I’ve cut them right back so they are big bored.....
I wouldn’t have thought so though they look two big to me .....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Put a stream of water from hosepipe down them, then stand them against something to dry, other option and bit risky is to put them in shower and use the shower head on them, only do this if (A you are not frightened of wife, or (B you are frightened, if so wait for her to go out.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Another tip is to use a kids super soaker water gun, again carries a few risks, Make sure the kids dont want to use them, and also there are no more super soaker lying around in case you get ambushed.

nottskev

Reaction score
Apart from a couple of carp-crunching beasts in the new dimensions - wide bore topkits, fat sections - that I bought and barely use, I'm still using much older slimmer poles. None of the topkits have discarded no1 sections; some no1's are cut back to about 6 ins and have doubled no 4 elastic. Most are hardly cut back and have elastics of 4, 5 or 6. A few whole no 1 sections are elasticated on their own with no 3 elastic, for canal roach or very shallow water where you don't want to pull fish splashing out of the water on the strike.

Which is all a long-winded way to say I have a lot of very narrow top kits, but I've never found a quick and easy way to get them clean when they get a bit sticky, and it always involves a bit of everything. Squirting and rinsing with water, pulling bits of string through with diamond eye threaders, you name it.......all done as in the old joke asking how porcupines have sex (carefully). I can't replace these sections, so the incentive to go easy is strong.

For the bigger sections down to three, I have one of those brush kits with heads in 3 different sizes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Some years ago, I split a number one section at the top by using a pull through, ended up cutting it back, I now use either hose pipe, shower head or super soaker, I have found if you use a lubricant such as Slip, or homemade one of hair conditioner and water it attracts grunge etc inside the topkits, I am going to source a few tins of ptfe spray, that helps the elastic run smoothly, I think i will be calling into where i worked ,after lockdown on next trip to warrington. We used it by the boxful plus graphite spray, that was ideal for section ends.,

rayner

Reaction score
I can't clean them with a showerhead trouble being I've let them dry because they haven't been used since last September, the inside looks very grubby. I don't use lubricant of any sort. In the past, I've used slip, hair conditioner and armourall dash cleaner which was recommended. Every one of them attracted dirt, OK they all worked for a while but the inside of tops was far worse than they are now.
The piece of string for thinner tips may just be the thing I need.
I was hoping for someone to come up with a magic spay with some sort of cleaner that could be squirted inside the top kit that would miraculously get my kits sparkly.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If I can get some ptfe spray, I will post you a tin. It is a dry ptfe powder,
Try putting pure soap flakes in a bowl of warm water, let them dissolve, put in a super soaker and spray gently up the topkits and pole sections, block the ends of sections off and leave inside of sections to soak.
Empty after a while, rinse with cleaned super soaker, then allow to dry.

rayner

Reaction score
I've got my three worst kits blocked and soaking with just water, the kits are bad inside it looks a lot like mildew to me.
The super soaker trick I don't know anyone who has one I certainly won't buy one.
I don't want to sound ungrateful but I don't want to go down the route of putting anything in my pole again, water works fine for me if elastics get sticky but thanks, I appreciate it. Sticky normally tells me they are due for a clean.
Being left in narrow kit tubes caused the trouble they took too long to dry.